PDA

View Full Version : Joining Warmachine

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Well, GW's embargo, price increases and now preventing US stores selling to Australia have left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm selling my Eldar and Skaven armies, keeping my Dark Eldar and Dark Elf armies. But I'm joining Warmachine. It looks great, sounds fabulous to play. Ordering some Cryx tonight.

tonyzahn
05-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Welcome! There seems to be two main stories for people starting Warmachine from Warhammer.

1> "This look like a fun little game to play on the side" (6 month later) "When was the last time I played Warhammer?"
2> "I've had enough of (whatever GW did to piss people off this month), I'm going to play something else!"

The bright side about the second one is that selling off an army is a great way to buy into a new game.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Cheers tonyzahn :)

theHman
05-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the club my friend!

Be sure to check out the Privateer Press website and especially the forum. Great stuff there, especially in the cryx sub-section. We've got lots of great threads on tactics and strategy for you to pour over and read through.

Another really good website is the Battle College Wiki - just google that and you'll find it.
They have ton's of great information about the synergies between troops and stuff.

But the reality is you really can't pick a bad faction.

@TonyZahn: #1 is me to the tee! I've played 3 games of 40k since starting warmachine in January of this year.

TheBitzBarn
05-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, GW's embargo, price increases and now preventing US stores selling to Australia have left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm selling my Eldar and Skaven armies, keeping my Dark Eldar and Dark Elf armies. But I'm joining Warmachine. It looks great, sounds fabulous to play. Ordering some Cryx tonight.

They are not stopping US store from selling to anywhere I have spoken to a Trade rep 3 times since this and he has confirmed this. We do not need to make up bad PR for GW

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Sorry, but I didn't make it up; maybe it is my fault for believing someone else. However, GW has enough bad rep now.

theHman
05-20-2011, 06:54 PM
They are not stopping US store from selling to anywhere I have spoken to a Trade rep 3 times since this and he has confirmed this. We do not need to make up bad PR for GW

I'm pretty sure that GW's new terms and conditions also prevent USA retailers and etailers selling to the southern hemisphere since that's exactly what everyone there is saying or haven't you read their blog posts and comments?

And you're right, we don't need to make up bad PR for GW, they do just fine on their own.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the club my friend!

Be sure to check out the Privateer Press website and especially the forum. Great stuff there, especially in the cryx sub-section. We've got lots of great threads on tactics and strategy for you to pour over and read through.

Another really good website is the Battle College Wiki - just google that and you'll find it.
They have ton's of great information about the synergies between troops and stuff.

But the reality is you really can't pick a bad faction.

@TonyZahn: #1 is me to the tee! I've played 3 games of 40k since starting warmachine in January of this year.

Thanks theHman! :)

Just returned from the city with a brand new copy of the Cryx rulebook. Unfortunately, the MKII book is out of stock - but will be in Monday.

TheBitzBarn
05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that GW's new terms and conditions also prevent USA retailers and etailers selling to the southern hemisphere since that's exactly what everyone there is saying or haven't you read their blog posts and comments?

And you're right, we don't need to make up bad PR for GW, they do just fine on their own.

Well there are no terms I have never ever seen any terms that stated anyting like that and when directly asked they said nope

FastEd
05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately, BitzBarn, the reps are some of, if not THE, last to know/be told. It's sad considering I've yet to meet one who wasn't awesome, friendly, and incredibly helpful. Not so great having the company's line to the outside so far down the 'need-to-know' chain. :(

scadugenga
05-20-2011, 10:18 PM

And you were also dead certain that GW would never make the move to resin...

I do not buy it.

The technique is similar so no retooling but the enviromental issue is serious.

Seriously, why don't you just stop trolling the PP forums? You've made it abundantly clear that you dislike PP games in an intense, if not grammatically correct, way.

Arch_Bishop
05-21-2011, 11:12 AM

I too, am making the jump tomorrow.

Keeping all my armies for 40K and Fantasy, but not adding to them or starting anything new.

Picking up a Khador battle group for myself, and a Cryx one for the lady.

Got my hands on a MKII rulebook, and it is a thing of beauty. I particularly enjoyed 'Page 5'.

It is not Warhammer, but nor does it try to be.

So far I am very impressed with the rules set, as they are extremely clear and concise.

Hope it all goes well for you mate.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I too, am making the jump tomorrow.

Keeping all my armies for 40K and Fantasy, but not adding to them or starting anything new.

Picking up a Khador battle group for myself, and a Cryx one for the lady.

Got my hands on a MKII rulebook, and it is a thing of beauty. I particularly enjoyed 'Page 5'.

It is not Warhammer, but nor does it try to be.

So far I am very impressed with the rules set, as they are extremely clear and concise.

Hope it all goes well for you mate.

If you are ever in Brisbane, contact me and we can game. I have a lot of terrain and a 6x4 table. Anyway, have fun!

mazgier
05-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Got my hands on a MKII rulebook, and it is a thing of beauty. Just as a side note: do not forget to visit PP site and download the latest errata.

Arch_Bishop
05-21-2011, 11:30 PM
If you are ever in Brisbane, contact me and we can game. I have a lot of terrain and a 6x4 table. Anyway, have fun!

Dang! I use to live in Brisbane!

I may very well visit there in the future, and if I do, game on!

Mazgier: Thanks for the advice, I will download it now.

mazgier
05-22-2011, 05:07 AM
If you allow me, Arch_Bishop I'd like to share one more advice: You're coming to Warmachine from GW environment. Being a PP Pressganger and also an ex-WH40K player I am aware that it is often a bit hard for some players to get used to the way PP rules are written. The WM/H ruleset is very precise and does not leave many "grey areas" to argue about but you have to learn the rigid RAW nature of the rules. Basically - what you read is what the rule means. No more, no less. When eg. you see a phrase "...after enemy model advances and ends its movement" be sure you know how terms "enemy model", "advance" and "ending movement" are defined in the rulebook (and they all are) and do not overlook that there is "and" between two of them. All of that is necessary to execute the given rule the right way.
Also do not forget that there is a PP rules forum on their site and the answers you find there are treated as official. So regardless if you play in Brisbane or decide to visit Poland and attend one of our tournaments (please, feel invited to Poznan BTW :)) you may be sure that all players use the same rules/erratas/clarifications.

theHman
06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
So Farseer Uthiliesh and Arch_Bishop, how do you guys like WarmaHordes?

Taken a bunch of beatings yet? Having fun I hope!

Arch_Bishop
06-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the help and kind words Mazgier!

I have read MKII through once, and I've got to say, it's beautiful.

As you said, the rules are very clear and precise, which I really appreciate.

I am reading it through again.

Almost finished painting my first Destroyer, and my lady is putting the finishing touches on her Slayer.

I am yet to get a game in as I'm at the end of my uni semester, so too many assignments to play. Looking forward to the holidays! The only maths I want to see during the holidays better be dice based!

theHman: I am yet to play, but expect some thorough beatings in the near future!

The PP forums have been great too. The faction sections have a wealth of information.

Trying to decide on my first unit purchase. I'm thinking Widowmakers, but we shall see.

Good luck all!

Farseer Uthiliesh
06-26-2011, 05:07 AM
So Farseer Uthiliesh and Arch_Bishop, how do you guys like WarmaHordes?

Taken a bunch of beatings yet? Having fun I hope!

I actually haven't played the game yet; waiting for a friend to paint his Legion of Everblight models (that's right, Cryx versus LoE). Khador order should arrive, and I am about to make a massive order of Skorne.

Love the MkII rules - brilliantly written and presented, and the setting is great. I'm so happy GW enacted the embargo, as I would never have gotten into Hordes & Warmachine!

thetallest
06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Trying to decide on my first unit purchase. I'm thinking Widowmakers, but we shall see.

I love those models. I don't even play Khador, and I have a box of them waiting to be painted.

wittdooley
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I actually haven't played the game yet; waiting for a friend to paint his Legion of Everblight models (that's right, Cryx versus LoE). Khador order should arrive, and I am about to make a massive order of Skorne.

Word of advice here: Get your Green Stuff/Milliput and your pin vise ready. Some of the earlier Skorne models (particuarly the warbeasts) are abominations to put together. You'll need to do a fair amount of green stuffing on all the Titans. There are fair amound of seams as well, and I find that Milliput works best here, as you can get it nice and wet, turn it into a paste, and fill the gaps, toothpaste-style, that way.

For your pin vise, make sure you have a 1/32 bit, as you'll certainly want it for the back flags on the Cataphracts. The pinning on these guys reminds of the pinning I had to do with my Rackham Tir-Na-Bor dwarves.

Also...since no one has said it yet: Be prepared to lose. A lot. Until you learn all of your syndegies and those of your opponents, you will lose. It is the nature of the beast that is Warmahordes. Stick with it though. There's a lot of game there.

MoonFever
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I’ve played 40K since Rogue Trader. I picked up my first Warmachine figures during the first GenCon that Privateer Press Debuted the Cygnar boxed set…I’ve been heavy on the WarmaHordes side ever since…but then lately, especially with the new Grey Knights been contemplating getting back into 40K…then I played a small points game last night…and my first thought was “I have to pick up Warmachine:Wrath”.

40K will always have that nostalgic place in my heart, and I hope a lot of the rumored changes for 6th edition are true, but until that time…

Welcome aboard! It’s a great game from a company that isn’t ashamed to admit when they make a mistake with a rule/model and errata it immediately. They answer questions as soon as feasibly possible, and even have quite the dynamic tournament environment with their “Steamroller 2010” tournament rules.

thetallest
06-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Also...since no one has said it yet: Be prepared to lose. A lot. Until you learn all of your syndegies and those of your opponents, you will lose. It is the nature of the beast that is Warmahordes. Stick with it though. There's a lot of game there.

It is a game that is easy to pick up and hard to master - If you are playing against an opponent who knows the ropes, they will hit you from directions you never would have had to consider in 40k/Fantasy. Remember to ask your opponent to read their cards, and as long as you aren't playing TFG and it is a friendly game, let them know that you are new to the game and ask what kind of movement shenanigans you can expect.

I would pay particular attention when looking at your opponents cards what movement buffs they have, since those can be the nastiest surprises.

For example, a Feral Warpwolf with Kromac as a caster with a Black Clad Wayfarer and a Gnarlhorn Satyr can gain an additional 9" on its charge distance on top of its base move plus the 3" for charging.

Farseer Uthiliesh
06-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your great advice :)

Lord Azaghul
06-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Same boat as you fellas, had a few friends trying to get me in for about a year and half now...In May GW finally convinced me to give PP an honest go.

I just got in my first game last week, should get in another tonight...I won! But only 'cause I played another noob!

Went with Khador on the advise of trusted friends (and I like the models, plan on using a paint scheme that light on red though)

Had a good learning game with pIrusk, some Kazays and Doom Reavers...lots to learn.

So far I enjoy the game dynamics, its always fun to try something new.

WereWolf_nr
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I just made the jump for much the same reasons. Starting Protectorate. I was already a bit familiar with the game but hadn't jumped in for social reasons within the LGS. New not-so-local game store and already had a great game while they brought me up to speed.