PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Lance Formation

celestialatc
05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Ok this might be something covered in the Bretonnian FAQs but I thought I would ask. Can the horses of a Bretonnian unit that just charged get attacks from the lance formation? In other cavalries horses don't get supporting attacks but does the lance formation give horses that ability? It just seems wrong.

lobster-overlord
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
The lance formation only has one model that gets "supporting" attacks and that is the middle model of the second row, and no, that horse does not get attacks. This new rule for 8th affected Bret Knights the least, because of teh ability to already hit with so many models.

All knights on the outside of the formation behind the first rank do get their attack afforded by the Lance formation, however, their horses do not.

As a side note, should something negate "supporting attacks," Brets would still get their lance attack, as they fall under a different rule.

JOhn M.

ForsakenImp
05-19-2011, 06:22 AM
This is incorrect. The lance formation states that all MODELS on the outside of the lance get to attack. The model includes the horse, so you do get horse attacks from the models on the outside. You don't get a horse attack from the model in the middle of the second row. Codex trumps rulebook, so all models on the outside get their full attacks.

TLDR: Models on outside get to attack, this means horses too.

lobster-overlord
05-19-2011, 09:43 AM
THe rule reads

"On the turn that a unit of Knights in Lance formation charge, all models in the front rank fight as normal. In addition to this, every Knight model in the flanks of the unit is allowed to fight."

THis specifies knight, not horse and knight, so that is the basis for my claim. I understand that could mean tht if you have a non-knight character (Damsel, etc) then they don't, but it also leads one to believe only the knight can attack and not the horse.

Is it played that the horse gets the attack too in major tournaments? We always run it that only the knight gets the attack (so you only get one additional attack per model on hte outside).

John M>

ForsakenImp
05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
The model includes the horse. That's the basis of letting the model actually attack.

No tournament I've been in has ever even questioned this, nor has any of my opponents, so the GTs have allowed it at least, even by quite agreement.

The Puremane would have been pure folly at the time it was written, allowing only three horses to get +1s on their first charge for that cost?

Also, as they are a model, only a rule that specifies that only part of the model can attack would deny the rest of the model attacks. As it actually states the model can attack, it expressly allows the entire model to attack, thus permitting the horses.

lobster-overlord
05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Cool, thanks for the clarification on that. My lance just got deadlier (and I've been playing Brets for as long as I've had BA... both near 10 years, although nothing more than local play :-)

celestialatc
05-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. I just thought it was strange because horses don't get supporting attacks in standard combat and it seems weird they get it in the lance formation but I won't question it any more. I will just have to make sure I charge them first!