PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the switchover to resin is a good thing? and why?

Morgan Darkstar
05-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Guys and Girls

With the switch over to resin officially announced "i notice the nay sayers have been rather quiet"

I have a question do you think its a good thing? and why?

for me i'm looking forward to some conversion possibilities and the reduction in the ammount of pinning

"Note if anyone starts complaing that resin is toxic i am going to find you and slap you with a wet fish" :D

Lockark
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Eh.... Holding judgement untill a see the quality of the "Fine-casts".

DrifterUK
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I cant really decide on whether its a good thing or not until I actually get to see one first hand. If they really as are as high quality as theyre made out to be, then Id be quite happy

fuzzbuket
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM

and the smashability and weight, what GW should be doing is releasing metals with pin holes and pins so you can stick them together easier... not resin

DrLove42
05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I'l reserve judgement until I've built a few yet.

How quickly do they stick together?
How well does paint adhere?
How fragile are they?
How difficult to cut/drill/pin is it?
Do they chip as easily as metals?

wittdooley
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm incredibly excited. Resin is a far easier medium to work with than metal from a pure hobby perspective. It's easier to file, it's easier to drill, glue tends to adhesive much better than metal ever would, and paint tends to hold better to the resin than to the metal.

Further, the light weight is going to be a nice change, particularly for WHFB armies.

The Green Git
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM

This. If they are just recasts of the metals... No.

Cyberscape7
05-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Bit of a toss up for me. I mean I'm glad that GW is starting to replace some metal models that NEED changeing (no swooping hawks yet:mad:(but there are rangers:D)) but the price increase naturally annoys me. I mean its not a huge amount so my wallets not going to suffer but its still a neusance. I guess its all a matter of seeing how good the models are. First finecast I'm gettin: shokk attack gun :)

MaltonNecromancer
05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I hate, hate working with metal. So from that point of view, it's amazing.

The price rise is insulting. I understand the reasons for it, but it's still insultingly high.

I hope GW understands that as a luxury, I'll be prioritising other things until this recession blows over. Assuming it doesn't turn into The Great Depression V2.0. Which it keeps looking like it will... :(

Gotthammer
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm happy about the change to resin (see wittdooley's points), and intrigued by talk there may be more minis per box for units. But I'll wait and see it in my hands before passing judgement.

wittdooley
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm happy about the change to resin (see wittdooley's points), and intrigued by talk there may be more minis per box for units. But I'll wait and see it in my hands before passing judgement.

I think for some there have to be more per box. The Skaven Jezzails are presently one per blister for, I think, $12. The new box is $40. So we'll see what that means.

I'd so very love for all the people up in arms about the 2% increase to find that the boxes of Vanguard Vets now has 10 models :-)

Gotthammer
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Also numerous times people have done comparisons of prices 'then and now', and they're in line with general inflation. Gothmog at Sepulchre of Heroes did some figures (http://sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com/2011/05/are-gws-price-increases-as-bad-as-we.html) and came to the conclusion that the prices are right, but they get attacked as it's easier to pin down than the somewhat nebulous malaise GW exudes.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
05-18-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Word has it they're using a resin hybrid, similar to PP, which squashes the fragility/poisonous arguments, and it should be a lot easier to work with.

If they are just recasts of the metals... No.

There are pictures of the Finecast preview poster floating around, and almost all of the minis (bar one or two new dark eldar or tomb king ones) seem to be the exact same mold as the metal. Unfortunate, I really wish they'd taken this opportunity to update the older, stunted Space Wolf/Chaos etc character models.

Denzark
05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Metal - difficult to hacksaw etc.

Resin - toxic nasties, bends in heat.

Plastic -resin mix - unknown until seen and assessed.

As I don't find metal over hard to work with and only pin heavy conversions, I would have stayed with it ... unless it was a cheaper medium which it ain't gonna be. So a waste of time on the whole.

wittdooley
05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
You mean like that awful Ragnar Blackmane model? Yikes. At least some of the older Chaos ones have some movement to them. Poor Ragnar is stuck in GW power-stance like Mephiston and Tycho.

Morgan Darkstar
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Your not kidding that model is horible, thats why if the Kor'sarro Khan model is redone i will be attempting this conversion

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=blog&blogid=815&showentry=5129

will probably also put it on a 40mm scenic base :eek:

Denzark
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I like Ragnar! Whats wrong with that model you naysayer?

Christ on a bike!

I'd rather wank kittens! He's quality old skool! The power stance rocks!

Lockark
05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
and the smashability and weight, what GW should be doing is releasing metals with pin holes and pins so you can stick them together easier... not resin

Risen is lighter witch means easier to ship/transport to the gaming store/ect. Resin is easier to cut then metals witch means it's easier to convert, and since the parts are lighter it means it will be MUCH easier to pin a resin figure then a metal one.

Also since it's resin it with abit of heat you can to minor reposing with out cutting the miniature up.

I have many figures from both Forge world, MaxMini, ArmourCast, ect. "smashability" will soloy be based of the kind and quaility of the resin. I also want to see how well the resin their useing will take paint.

Thus why I reserve final judgement until I have the figures in my hands.

Albavar
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
They have to keep Ragnar the same! It's the only weak point to the whole codex. :rolleyes:

wittdooley
05-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I like Ragnar! Whats wrong with that model you naysayer?

Christ on a bike!

I'd rather wank kittens! He's quality old skool! The power stance rocks!

:-) I appreciate the old-skool models as much as the next guy; I'm a collector, too. But come on. He's got 6 books written about him and he didn't deserve an update? That Khan sculpt should have been Ragnar.

Same with Mephiston. Dude should have gotten something of equal badassery to his fluff.

Grimfoe
05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Cautiously optomistic. I'm hoping the resin doesn't prove too brittle (I have young children that will smash minis together from time to time)

At the same time I'm really looking forward to NOT working with metal anymore. The conversions will be much easier as I'm not that skilled with metal minis.

The price doesn't matter to me too much, tbh. I'll end up buying more minis just for the conversions if the material is as good as I think it will be.

lobster-overlord
05-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Being a LGS store manager, I was able to spend some time talking to our GW rep about the Finecast items and the process through which they are made.

What he told me was that these models are made using the molds that are used to make the spin-cast masters, thus they are one generation closer to the lead-master than the metal models, so the details are sharper.

To me that means they have to spend much more time making each item.

I for one, am excited about the models.

John M.

Mobynick
05-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I hate resin. It chips very easy, it requires super glue to stick and it won't bond as well as plastic with plastic glue. The clean up is a pain and if there is bubbles in it they become pits. Paint doesn't stick to it well unless you wash each piece in soapy water first. Lastly simple green (best paint stripper ever) softens resins and makes them spongy. How resin can be a step up from plastic is anyones guess. Your finecast models are recasts of old models..nothing to get excited about.

lobster-overlord
05-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I hate resin. It chips very easy, it requires super glue to stick and it won't bond as well as plastic with plastic glue. The clean up is a pain and if there is bubbles in it they become pits. Paint doesn't stick to it well unless you wash each piece in soapy water first. Lastly simple green (best paint stripper ever) softens resins and makes them spongy. How resin can be a step up from plastic is anyones guess. Your finecast models are recasts of old models..nothing to get excited about.

OK, several points here to counter.

First, don't use the term recast to describe the use of the same molds. Recasting is the process by which you take an item (usually a finished production item you didn't create) and make a mold for making copies, usually bootleg. This is 100% not the case. Using the same mold is just called casting, not recasting.

Second, find something other than Simple Green. It's not a paint stripper by design anyway, that's just a side benefit that it won't harm polystyrene in the process.

Third, plastic glue is designed ti be a solvent against polystyrene, thus it certainly won't work with resin. you have to use superglue, by design, to work with resin.

Fourth, you're supposed to wash ALL GW models to remove any oils present in the manufacturing process. This includes metals, plastics, and forgeworld resins. Standard procedure.

Nothing for you to get excited about, because from the sounds of it, you're not up on what steps need to be taken to work with these models (let alone plastic). (not an attack, just an observation).

John M.

Cyberscape7
05-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Fourth, you're supposed to wash ALL GW models to remove any oils present in the manufacturing process. This includes metals, plastics, and forgeworld resins. Standard procedure.

Wha- your supposed to wash the models before assembly?
Boy have I been doing it wrong! :p Now I have to ask, how do you wash them. Is it just like submerging them in water?

Lane
05-19-2011, 04:33 AM
First, don't use the term recast to describe the use of the same molds. Recasting is the process by which you take an item (usually a finished production item you didn't create) and make a mold for making copies, usually bootleg. This is 100% not the case. Using the same mold is just called casting, not recasting.

Technically by your definition GW is recasting their own minis. The use the greens to make master molds then cast enough masters to make production molds which make the minis we buy. Since no changes are made to the masters they are a finished product therefore they are recasting their own product.

I seriously doubt the process will change much with Finecast minis.

Second, find something other than Simple Green. It's not a paint stripper by design anyway, that's just a side benefit that it won't harm polystyrene in the process.

Most of the alternatives are just a hard on resin or have significant drawbacks.

Third, plastic glue is designed ti be a solvent against polystyrene, thus it certainly won't work with resin. you have to use superglue, by design, to work with resin.

I think he meant superglue does not work as well on resin as plastic glue does on styrene.

BTW epoxy works great on resin, as does using resin as an adhesive.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Well i'm looking at the 3/4 painted Shadow Spectre exarch i' working on here, and the resin they used for that is not brittle at all. If anything it's more flexible and very light. Actually will be weighing the base down with a heavier resin i have for moulds.
If GW switch over to this resin i think a lot of you will be very happy. Its easy tocut or shape if need be. Light weight, and looses none of the great definition of details.
I fing that the Exarch is greatly detailed compared to metal or some current plastic miniatures.

I am hoping they use the same resin for all miniatures except for vehicles with the current plastics for those.

RebelGrot
05-19-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm looking forward to it though, like many others, will have to see it to pass 'proper' judgement.

Benefits I see are:
a) easier to work/convert with 'regular' tools - I won't have to dig out the Dremmel for a quick head swap.
b) future potential is huge - looking at the detail difference between FW and GW models can be quite a stark contrast sometimes, if Finecast lifts the restrictions of metal cast models we'll be in for some awesome characters and units in coming months/years
c) no more (pinned or not) arms snapping off under a models own weight. I've always been put off the larger metal models (old dreadnought etc) due to the amount of pinning required vs falling will still pop an arm off with it's own weight - I'll finally buy an Avatar of Khaine after 10+ years of not bothering!

Can people also please stop with the toxic resin thing? If this is anything similar to FW's resin then it's totally non toxic. Sure, fine dust will make you cough and your eyes water if you don't rinse if off your hands but that's because it's an irritant, not a carcinogen. From FW's site:

"The resin that we use has no inherent health risks, but we do recommend a dust mask if you are filing or sanding – as with any fine substance, resin dust can be an irritant."

I doubt GW will start casting in a 'dangerous' resin, they know the young age of a lot of their customers and I would seriously doubt they're going to start risking the issues that could potentially arise from that combination, just like there's been no lead in their metal mini's for a very long time.

Cyberscape7
05-19-2011, 07:28 AM
It's possible that GW will make a special "modelling mask" for working with finecast, assuming that enough people complain about choking on the dust :p

RebelGrot
05-19-2011, 07:43 AM
It's possible that GW will make a special "modelling mask" for working with finecast, assuming that enough people complain about choking on the dust :p

Ha! And (like the spray gun) it'll be shaped like a Krieg Death Korp gas mask and be expensive yet useless!!

wittdooley
05-19-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm sure they could. It will, of course, be 2-3x the price of the 3-pack you can get at Home Depot :D

Mobynick
05-20-2011, 05:50 PM
OK, several points here to counter.

Nothing for you to get excited about, because from the sounds of it, you're not up on what steps need to be taken to work with these models (let alone plastic). (not an attack, just an observation).

John M.

Get your **** right son, I never mentioned recasting anything.

Simple green is the best and most common for of paint stripper used on plastic minis. It is more effective than most paint strippers, way less toxic and well known in the gaming community. I mentioned this because unless you have destroyed forgeworld minis with simple green before you won't know the SG softens the resin...so yes you will need a new paint stripper and that in itself is a pain.

3rd point no **** plastic glue won't glue resin. Super glue isn't real flash either and the bond isn't as strong as one might expect. Perhaps a better quality glue might help or a special resin glue (I don't know of any).

GW tell us we should wash the models but I have never had to wash a plastic model yet. With resin you will HAVE to if you want your paint to stick.

None of these things make resin a bad medium but I honestly think plastic is far, far superior to resin. As for your observation, I have been gaming for 20+ years. I have used metal, plastic, resin and plasters. I am far from an expert and at no stage did I seek to make myself out to be one. Each day you learn something new and it is only when we think we know it all that we stop learning. Your attack is far from accuate and serves to show your own lack of understanding.

Morgan Darkstar
05-20-2011, 06:03 PM

i think the section highlighted is what lobster-overlord was refering to.

Brotherjames
05-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Anyone ever have a fully painted Carab Cullen stop at a bank for 30-45min before heading to the LGS only to pull him out of the transport case and his swd and storm bolter is drooped down. My point being is that I just hope the new resins won't be too sensitive to heat. I know most of you think that it's a bonus of resin but we've all been there... Play a game or two at the LGS have a few errands to run before/after the game lock your car up and come back to saggy models.

templarboy
05-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I am apprehensive but optimistic. I have avoided getting some models in metal. Models like the chaos raptors, zoenthropes and vanguard vets are always falling over because they are really top heavy. I am hoping that in resin they won't have that annoying tendency.

We have no idea what kind of resin is going to be used. People getting angry and arguing about the details at this point is a bit asinine. The "Oh No Resin is soooo toxic" people need to relax. Unless you are sanding a 5 ft by 5 ft sheet of resin with a belt sander and taking deep breaths at the same time, I think you will be fine. GW will not incur the liability that a toxic product would bring about. Relax folks. All will be clear soon.

Aldramelech
05-22-2011, 01:26 AM
I love this place......

They are going to make the same models from the same molds using a material that is a damn sight cheaper and charge you more for them and your happy about it..............

As resin is a hell of a lot lighter they'll be reducing the P&P cost to the customer then? Yeah right, course they will.

Oh well, I cant beat you all so I might as well join in

ONE GAME! ONE COMPANY! ONE SUPPLIER! SIEG HEIL!

Jive Tyrant
05-22-2011, 05:13 AM
I love this place......

They are going to make the same models from the same molds using a material that is a damn sight cheaper and charge you more for them and your happy about it..............

As resin is a hell of a lot lighter they'll be reducing the P&P cost to the customer then? Yeah right, course they will.

Forgetting for a moment that you have invoked Godwin's Law... ;)

If the new material is easier to work with than metal, then it's better than the current model, so I am actually happy to pay more for that. I'll more than make up the price difference in the time saved building and painting it.

eldargal
05-22-2011, 05:38 AM
At present yes, but from now we also get new sculpts made with this material in mind, we stop getting annual price rises due to metal prices constantly going up and we get a material which converts more easily and joins more easily with the plastic range. It is a good move, price increase aside.

I love this place......

scadugenga
05-22-2011, 08:21 AM
we stop getting annual price rises due to metal prices constantly going up

This I believe...is nothing but a pipe dream. GW will never stop raising prices, particularly to make up for sales shortcomings.

eldargal
05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Not with metal, they were raising prices and barely making a profit on metal kits, there were other companies producing metal miniatures who were in awe of GWs ability to sell metal figures for only nine or ten pounds. I'm sure there will continue to be price rises, but not to the same extent. That is why they had the price rise on resin, they wanted to lock in higher prices now while they had an excuse.

Uncle Nutsy
05-22-2011, 01:29 PM
you mean i don't have to worry about having to finagle with putting together models that used to be metal?

ohboyohboyohboyohboy

Emerald Rose Widow
05-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Anyone ever have a fully painted Carab Cullen stop at a bank for 30-45min before heading to the LGS only to pull him out of the transport case and his swd and storm bolter is drooped down. My point being is that I just hope the new resins won't be too sensitive to heat. I know most of you think that it's a bonus of resin but we've all been there... Play a game or two at the LGS have a few errands to run before/after the game lock your car up and come back to saggy models.

This is actually why I never leave anything that matters to me inside my car, and I am used to carrying things around that I dont leave in my car due to being a violinist. Whenever I am out and about and my violin is with me I NEVER leave it in my car, so it would not be too odd to me to carry my mini case around with me as well, wouldn't be that different at all. That is at least my take on this particular issue, because I'm used to carrying lots of crap around, my violin, my purse, now my mini's, so its not a biggie.

shadosun
05-22-2011, 04:17 PM
This is actually why I never leave anything that matters to me inside my car, and I am used to carrying things around that I dont leave in my car due to being a violinist. Whenever I am out and about and my violin is with me I NEVER leave it in my car, so it would not be too odd to me to carry my mini case around with me as well, wouldn't be that different at all. That is at least my take on this particular issue, because I'm used to carrying lots of crap around, my violin, my purse, now my mini's, so its not a biggie.

While that seems like a great idea I kinda just have to point out (in all respect) that some armies are a bit too big to do that. I have an incomplete nid army that I store in foam and its in a pretty huge roll around bag (made by sabol actually). Tbh its a big pain just getting it into the hobby shop and leaving it somewhere, I don't know how I'd tote it around with me if my zoanthropes (spelling?) had to be kept cool due to being resin.

HsojVvad
05-22-2011, 04:35 PM
So is the new material being used, is it really toxic or what?

Emerald Rose Widow
05-22-2011, 06:49 PM
While that seems like a great idea I kinda just have to point out (in all respect) that some armies are a bit too big to do that. I have an incomplete nid army that I store in foam and its in a pretty huge roll around bag (made by sabol actually). Tbh its a big pain just getting it into the hobby shop and leaving it somewhere, I don't know how I'd tote it around with me if my zoanthropes (spelling?) had to be kept cool due to being resin.

Oh wow, didn't know you had that many of them, yeah, that is a lot to deal with, I was thinking much smaller scale than that.

shadosun
05-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Oh wow, didn't know you had that many of them, yeah, that is a lot to deal with, I was thinking much smaller scale than that.

Yeah thats why I'm picking a much smaller army as my main army lol. I love nids to death, but about 30 mins to get my gaunts deployed for my swarm army...thats just not fun lol. Well that and I have to spend about twice as much to complete the nids as other people do for the full army (yep its still not done yet, needs a crap ton more gaunts), and that was with me finding of of those older apoc kits that came with the fex's warrior and 30 some gaunts. But yes on a much smaller scale I would probably be carrying my GK or DE (depending on my choice) as I get very protective of my models and wouldn't want something to happen to them cause I was doing an errand.

ps in case anyone wonder what case I was referring to here's a link
http://www.saboldesigns.net/battalion.html

Emerald Rose Widow
05-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah thats why I'm picking a much smaller army as my main army lol. I love nids to death, but about 30 mins to get my gaunts deployed for my swarm army...thats just not fun lol. Well that and I have to spend about twice as much to complete the nids as other people do for the full army (yep its still not done yet, needs a crap ton more gaunts), and that was with me finding of of those older apoc kits that came with the fex's warrior and 30 some gaunts. But yes on a much smaller scale I would probably be carrying my GK or DE (depending on my choice) as I get very protective of my models and wouldn't want something to happen to them cause I was doing an errand.

ps in case anyone wonder what case I was referring to here's a link
http://www.saboldesigns.net/battalion.html

I play nids as well but I am just starting out myself, and have yet to really decide on my strategem that I am going to use for them. So I didn't know that they really got that crazy on the numbers level but I guess that makes sense in retrospect. I am favoring the use of tervigons, which means lots of gaunts, ugh.

Though with my bigger units I am tempted to seperate the tails and the bodies on stuff like the trygons, maybe making the tail and body magnetized so they take up less room in my case, but idk, we'll see when i get around to a trygon tbh. Right now I only have 3 warriors, 24 termagaunts, and 12 hormagaunts assembled, though my next project after painting those all is my tervigon.

Good to know though, what do you think of the sabol designs for their carriers, vs battlefoam lets say

shadosun
05-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok here's the deal with sabol vs battle. Battlefoam is awesome, I love them, the cases are amazing, and the foam is really really nice. Sabol, the case is pretty damn good, but the foam is a little flimsier. What sold it for me though was the price. Battlefoam for nids gets insanely expensive, their case thats like the one I have linked is over 100. And when you're building up your swarm you're going to have to convert that into how many guants you can get out of the savings lol. Sabol is great quality though don't get me wrong, I love it, it def. gets the job done. Also painting wise. GL with that lol I started painting and awesome paint scheme on them and got through 10 gaunts, then saw all their brothers and lost my motivation, painting an army of 50 footsoldiers is alright, painting an army of over 100 footsoldiers...not so much. Its awesome that you're going into nids though, I love them and they'll always hold a special place in my space for armies, I just don't see them as my main due to their sheer size. Trygon's though, they're amazingly badass, just had to throw that out there :P

Emerald Rose Widow
05-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Ok here's the deal with sabol vs battle. Battlefoam is awesome, I love them, the cases are amazing, and the foam is really really nice. Sabol, the case is pretty damn good, but the foam is a little flimsier. What sold it for me though was the price. Battlefoam for nids gets insanely expensive, their case thats like the one I have linked is over 100. And when you're building up your swarm you're going to have to convert that into how many guants you can get out of the savings lol. Sabol is great quality though don't get me wrong, I love it, it def. gets the job done. Also painting wise. GL with that lol I started painting and awesome paint scheme on them and got through 10 gaunts, then saw all their brothers and lost my motivation, painting an army of 50 footsoldiers is alright, painting an army of over 100 footsoldiers...not so much. Its awesome that you're going into nids though, I love them and they'll always hold a special place in my space for armies, I just don't see them as my main due to their sheer size. Trygon's though, they're amazingly badass, just had to throw that out there :P

Actually I love painting, and only reason I am not now is because of my move. I will say my painting scheme does take a lot of time but the results are so worth it. I enjoy the hobbying aspect as it is a great way for me to kill time due to how late in the night i stay up until. So to me I do not lose my motivation, because my motivation is to see an amazing looking army hit the table and to blow people away with how awesome it is. I'll let you decide, tell me what you think

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/2011-03-18_02-01-22_376.jpg

Thats just my hormies, with my MC's they will have the same colour scheme, but they will be adding "crystals" made from sprues growing out of their carapace for the MC's and I am also going to put magnetized "crystals" on the bases that can come off to count as wound counters.

To me that is worth the effort, and I am willing to do what it takes to protect them (mainly not take errands while my mini's are in the car, hehe)

Morgan Darkstar
05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Actually I love painting, and only reason I am not now is because of my move. I will say my painting scheme does take a lot of time but the results are so worth it. I enjoy the hobbying aspect as it is a great way for me to kill time due to how late in the night i stay up until. So to me I do not lose my motivation, because my motivation is to see an amazing looking army hit the table and to blow people away with how awesome it is. I'll let you decide, tell me what you think

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/2011-03-18_02-01-22_376.jpg

Thats just my hormies, with my MC's they will have the same colour scheme, but they will be adding "crystals" made from sprues growing out of their carapace for the MC's and I am also going to put magnetized "crystals" on the bases that can come off to count as wound counters.

To me that is worth the effort, and I am willing to do what it takes to protect them (mainly not take errands while my mini's are in the car, hehe)

They are looking really really good! the cystal/gemstone effect looks great, and the carapace contrasts well with the rest of the body.

kudos on a job well done, looking forward to see some of the mc's especially the trygon.

Emerald Rose Widow
05-22-2011, 07:41 PM
When I get a more comprehensive list of stuff done I might just create a thread in the modelling section about my army so that everyone can see the final result of my insanity, hehe. What can I say, im a hobbying kind of girl, I like the hobby of creating beautiful things, plus it makes it more fun when I hit the table.

But I am getting us off topic here, my apologies.

Morgan Darkstar
05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
When I get a more comprehensive list of stuff done I might just create a thread in the modelling section about my army so that everyone can see the final result of my insanity, hehe. What can I say, im a hobbying kind of girl, I like the hobby of creating beautiful things, plus it makes it more fun when I hit the table.

But I am getting us off topic here, my apologies.

don't worry about it :) not really much more to say about finecast until we get a hold of some.

a wip thread would be cool to see, but the end result will be great to see. have you given any thought to what else you are going to do with the bases? a midnight blue sand around the cystals/gemstones may look cool.

ps

@ HsojVvad

So is the new material being used, is it really toxic or what?

i have the wet fish and i am not afraid to use it!

Emerald Rose Widow
05-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Well I was planning on just using a regular sand non painted, so that it is a little base contrast to the whole bit for a little bit of pop to the look. Also I am thinking of painting the scything talons to look like crystals as well, I will put up a work in progress up in modelling soonish. But yeah, regular darkish tan coloured sand to go on the base around the rocks and stuff, just for that contrast that I am looking for.

shadosun
05-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm sure the nids you painted look amazing, I'll have to wait about an hour to see them though. Government internet blocks the best sites (such as the one you linked lol). Luckily it lets me stay on this one to fuel my addiction to these plastic peices of crack lol. I'm hoping to learn how to paint better when I get home (only 40 more days in the sandbox woot!) chances are they're gonna suck but seeing cool paint schemes (as I'm sure yours is) keeps me motivated to try harder and have my own cool looking army at one point :D

Daemonette666
05-23-2011, 01:03 AM
I would rather they were made in Plastic as Resin warps and bends with the heat. When I got my Forge world Hydra AA Tank, I had to soak the guns in hot water to get them pliable enough again to allow them to straighten via gravity. If they get hot again due to the weather, they might warp, and once painted, I do not want the paint work to chip and come off from the model bending.

I do not like working with metal models either, if I intend to make conversions of them, and I find they are hard to keep upright on steep hills and uneven terrain.

Resin also has a bad reputation with being poisonous/ toxic, and you are suppose to wear a mask when sanding or drilling the Resin models. It is suppose to bad for you like silicon (silicosis) or Asbestos, though I do not know what exactly, but GW does not currently like you preparing Forge World models in their shops.

I think Plastic would be cheaper for GW, and then they would not be able to give the change over to resins as the reason for any price rise.

eldargal
05-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Once again, the Fine Cast resin is not like FW resin, it has far more in common with GW plastic, both being plastic resins or resin plastics or whatever. Do not look at FW for an idea of how the new Fine Cast resin behaves.

Col.Gravis
05-23-2011, 04:35 AM
Once again, the Fine Cast resin is not like FW resin, it has far more in common with 14 carat gold.

Corrected your post.

Mauglum.
05-24-2011, 02:07 PM
I think the switch from white metal to resin was a brilliant move!
Now I can get twice as many Mantic undead cavalry for the same price!
Because spin cast resin-plastic is about half the cost of white metal...

Only a souless monygrabbing company BLATENTLY taking the piss, would charge more for spin cast resin than the white metal production it replaced.
They havent have they ....of for crying out loud....:rolleyes:

Daemonette666
05-25-2011, 01:59 AM
I think the switch from white metal to resin was a brilliant move!
Now I can get twice as many Mantic undead cavalry for the same price!
Because spin cast resin-plastic is about half the cost of white metal...

Only a souless monygrabbing company BLATENTLY taking the piss, would charge more for spin cast resin than the white metal production it replaced.
They havent have they ....of for crying out loud....:rolleyes:
Knowing GW they probably will charge you as much or even more for the Resin miniatures. Even with them costing - as you say - about half as much as metal models.

Maelstorm
05-25-2011, 10:41 AM
The clever fellows at Privateer Press have taken GW's latest stumble as an opportunity to cut into their market share.

They are having a big sale on battle box "Starter Bundles" - combining models for a starter army, tokens, rulebook (equivelent to the GW big red book) and a tape measure - for about the cost of a single Games Workshop Land Raider kit with tax.

http://privateerpress.com/privateer-press-10th-anniversary-sale

Morgan Darkstar
05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
The clever fellows at Privateer Press have taken GW's latest stumble as an opportunity to cut into their market share.

They are having a big sale on battle box "Starter Bundles" - combining models for a starter army, tokens, rulebook (equivelent to the GW big red book) and a tape measure - for about the cost of a single Games Workshop Land Raider kit with tax.

http://privateerpress.com/privateer-press-10th-anniversary-sale

Hmmm might pick on up as they're cheap, however this seems to be US only is there a uk webstore?

wittdooley
05-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Hmmm might pick on up as they're cheap, however this seems to be US only is there a uk webstore?

I believe the starter bundles are free ship to ANYWHERE in the world....

Gotthammer
05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
The starter box sets ship free, but the bundles (starter box + rules and stuff) ship anywhere in the world for a reasonable amount. I checked and it was $28 to Australia signature, which sounds about right for the size and weight.