PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to GW

doogansquest
05-17-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't know if this belongs here, so move it as the mods see fit.

This is a letter I sent to Games Workshop earlier today, and I feel as though it echoes the sentiments of most of the fans of their wonderful products. I left out the nerd-rage and misinformation running rampant regarding the EU, Capitalism, greed, etc., and stuck solely to the facts and the concerns those facts present. Without further ado...

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am an avid gamer and hobbyist living in America. I also paint miniatures (somewhat) professionally. I love your products. Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are the gold standard of tabletop gaming. While this warrants a pricing scheme to reflect such a great brand, I fail to understand why you have made recent changes which severely hurt your international markets. Namely Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and my home, the USA.

In recent years I have read the articles and announcements, conversed with employees, and attended events citing the coming of a new multi-component material designed to end the use of metal, as well as hybrid kits for each army. Both of these maneuvers, along with some clever cost-saving initiatives, were designed to pass savings on to the consumer thus making the hobby more accessible for everyone. Certainly these changes have come to pass, but along with the changes were two sets of price increases instead of the savings we were promised.

There's no hiding what has happened here. Games Workshop won't be able to pass this off as a measure which had to be taken in order to cover increased costs of production. Even if the price comes down in the future, it will only bring the tag back in line with what we - the consumer - currently (though sometimes begrudgingly) pay.

Model for model, the prices of all of these games, and those of your competitors, are roughly the same. The quality offered by Games Workshop is unmatched, however; second to none. The main difference between WHFB and 40k, and games offered by other companies such as Malifaux, Warmachine & Hordes, Flames of War, etc., is that these games require a much smaller investment to enjoy. That isn't what I have a problem with, nor is it a problem that you choose to differ from these products by designing a game around large scale battles instead of smaller skirmishes.

My problem, and the problem of other hobbyists who echo my sentiments, is that Games Workshop has performed the following alterations which only further compound the difficulties we face in the days ahead:

1. Designed the game rules, and each army book/codex to strike a balance at games between 1500-1750 points for 40k, and between 2250-3000 points for WHFB. This sets the tone for the remainder of the following issues.

2. Designed new rules sets which favor "hordes" in both games systems. From objective-based missions, to rules benefits for larger units, it's clear that you want the battles larger, and each unit within the battles to also be larger. This requires us to purchase more of the models with cheaper points values in order to be adequately competitive.

3. Lowered the points value of units and individual models within your codex and army books. This change means that more models must be present in order to fill the points requirements of a balanced, or tournament game (see points balances above). This also requires us to purchase more models.

4. Devised hybrid kits which, while superficially convenient, also include fewer models than previous renditions of similar units. Again, this then forces us to purchase more models to fill the points requirements; not just for an army, but even one force organization slot. An example of this would be Hormagaunts. After June 1st, they will effectively cost $30 (US) for 10 models at 6 points apiece. Since no one is stupid enough to play just 10 Hormagaunts, people will have to spend $60, or even $90 just to fill 120-180 points and one Troops requirement. Great, just 1300 points to go...

5. Eliminating the ability of European retailers to offer products and services overseas. This one's a killer. As if it wasn't tough enough for Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, and Americans to enjoy the hobby at a reasonable cost, now we can only get it from homeland retailers who have to pay your ridiculous mark up costs and thus can't afford to offer us such discounts.

6. Price hikes. Like clockwork, another summer brings another unreasonable price increase across the board. At least you aren't trying to fool us by calling them "adjustments" anymore; that was rather insulting to the fan base.

When all of these factors are added together, you have effectively priced half of your market out of the game without good cause or economic necessity to justify the changes. You have lowered the points costs, set rewards for larger units and armies, all while reducing the number of models in a kit and simultaneously increasing the price of said kits. That is brutal, and in one-fell swoop, all together cruel to your loyal customers.

I have defended Games Workshop and their products for more than 15 years now. No matter what changes have been made, I've weathered the storm, offered explanations, and stood for what I believe are the best products in the industry. Now I have nothing more to say in your defense. I have to stop playing and resign only to painting miniatures for others. I will never play Warmachine/Hordes, or any of the other games, but I can now see the appeal. While they too pay $60 for a large model, they only have to buy one of them and it fills out 1/3 of their army. While a box of plastics may cost them $50, they get almost an entire faction that way. If the cost is going to increase, then the requisite number of purchases should be decreased through the rules to compensate. Games Workshop has gone in the opposite direction in fairness, sensibility, and responsibility. Now we are asking for accountability.

While I'm sure this email won't be read at length, and I will likely receive a prepared and automated reply, I owe it to you, the hobbyists, and myself to fully express my concerns in this matter. I sincerely hope that losing one customer does matter to you, because this situation truly saddens me and could spell the end for me and my days as a table top gamer.

Sincerely and Respectfully,
Jason Colbeck