PDA

View Full Version : Talos or Cronos

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
05-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Inspired by the Incubi vs Bloodbride thread I wanted to see everyones opinions on the Heavy side of DE.
So which do you prefer the Talos Pain Engine orCronos Parasite Engine

My minor opinions at first glance:
Talos all the way! Better WS, higher strength, more assualty, more shooty(dakka). The Cronos can give out pain tokens,yes but I havent had trouble piling up the pain tokens. The talos is 20 points more but it still is low point cost even with upgrades

If this has already been discussed I apologize still kinda new to bols.

Your thoughts and Comments welcome

DrLove42
05-15-2011, 07:35 AM
I also use a Talos, thinking about using Stinger Pods soon as well to see how they go

The cronos has a place, and if i could i'd have one of each in a list...but as it is, i prefer a Cronos.

eldargal
05-15-2011, 07:40 AM
I've not had enough problems generating pain tokens to take a Cronos over a Talos, but I have had success when using both, sending the Cronos off to bolster Mandrakes behind enemy lines as it were while the Talos distracts things elsewhere.

Necron_Lord
05-15-2011, 05:26 PM
It all depends on what you want. Cronos is basically an army buffer whose purpose is to generate pain tokens for the army. Taloi are meant to kill stuff in CC and also have better ranged anti-mech (haywire blaster for supression and heat lances for destruction). Taloi have higher strength and number of attacks, but the Cronos has an AP 3 pie plate which can be nasty and most likely will generate a pain token each time it is shot.

I typically use Ravagers for my Heavy Support, but would like to use Taloi and Cronos in a coven list I want to do when the minis come out. Urien Rakarth and haemonculi as HQ with WWPs, S6 Grotesque unit with Wracks in Raiders/Venoms with 2 Taloi and 1 Cronos to come from the WWPs. They would be backed up by scourges for extra anti-mech. The Taloi are there to smash and shoot stuff, the Cronos is for anti-infantry support and pain token buffing.

Like the Bloodbride v Incubi debate, each unit fills a different role and has advantages and disadvantages depending upon the list it faces and the supporting units in the DE player's list.

Scion_of_Terra
05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
The Cronos is obviously meant to be a unit buffer. I find that it's best to use them only in webway assault lists. The Talos fits more easily into the more prevalent mech DE lists, as these do not rely on pain tokens as heavily. Personally, I agree with Necron_Lord, that an ideal setup would be two Taloi to one Cronos.

As a side note, I find the Talos to be a fantastic anti-mech unit, as it can crack a transport with TW heat lances and then eat its occupants in assault - at least in theory. The dice gods are a capricious bunch.

TheRise
05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I like to move my Cronos around so it is in the best position to generate Pain Tokens to the Units I want to give them too. But also behind cover so it won't die so quickly.
I use the Talos to take on Vehichles and other MC's. if you give an Archon a Webway portal then get the Talos to come out of it, you can get into assault straight away. Plus it is a nasty shock to see that pop out and blow up thier Land Raider. I realy like a Twin-Linked Liquifier gun if i were too take another one. But I like to take an extra close combat weapon. So I am also automaticaly gaining +1A.
I try and put both in a list. But usualy only one.
And usualy a Cronos.

godzy
05-25-2011, 04:02 PM
non of you guys use the two AP3 weapons on the cronos? the template and pie plate just eats marines- flamer gets 50%, the pie gets 33% of those under. he can shot both on the move. don't forget he's a monstrous creature. I had an opponent charge his defiler at my cronos. cronos goes first with his I better by one. gets one hit. he gets 2D6+S, penetrates and wrecks the defiler. for CC I have other infantry- incubi or wyches. for AT we have dark light spam, jet/raven fleet or a pair of heat lances on a reaver squad.