PDA

View Full Version : Gw price

greenstuff777
05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Anyone notice the advance order page for the DE reals everything extremely high or it=s this the real price?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
You're probably looking at the Australian prices.

Look in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Does it show a little Australian flag?

greenstuff777
05-14-2011, 11:48 AM
WHAT THE... How that happen?

Gotthammer
05-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Exchange rate:

£1 =

$1.61usd
$1.53aud

thus

£15.50 =

$25.10usd

$23.76aud

Scourges:

£15.50
$25usd

$41aud

70% more expensive than the exchange rate baby! I think it's doing it so much so people in the US stop complaining about high prices.

TheRise
05-14-2011, 12:09 PM
3rd tiem I have seen this in 2 weeks. But the English prices are actualy starting to get lower if you noticed... £28 for a Talos, that is good compared to the other releases! Yay GW have listened to our calls!

DrLove42
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Seriously? Again with "ZOMG ITS ALL EXPENSIVE". Every bloody week....

Gotthammer
05-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I emailed our customer service and the UK ones with the price differentials, and a question of what's the deal? It's especially aggrivating as the US have an accurate exchange :/

Kawauso
05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah, it's the same in Canada. =/
Not as bad as Australia, mind, but we typically get price-jacked for everything - especially if it's imported from the US (the MRSP on the back of books? Yeah, they go by those prices even if it's using an exchange rate from 10-20 years ago).

I know a lot of it has to do with import taxes and nonsense like that (or at least that's an excuse) but still, it's friggin' lame. Hobby's expensive enough as it is. I feel sorry for anyone playing Warhammer down in Aussieland, though. :(

Gotthammer
05-14-2011, 01:00 PM
A lot of people just buy from the US or UK, which is bad as it hurts the stores here.

Deadlift
05-14-2011, 03:21 PM
It's all plastic crack to me, prices high or low......... I gotta have that fix :)

Cheese
05-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Well here in Aussielad, I just order from a cheap UK site, thus meaning almost half price for me on everything I buy. I think it's meant to be like 15-20% off :)

daboarder
05-15-2011, 12:58 AM
If GW is serious about cracking down on companies like wayland shipping to australia they can expect a class action against them for breaching Australian fair trade laws, they are already borderline with their inflated shipping costs that prevent you from shopping from GW UK direct and forcing said monopoly on the market would be a violation.

Cheese
05-15-2011, 02:12 AM
I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but could you please just specify for me who is in the wrong; wayland or GW?

daboarder
05-15-2011, 02:39 AM
GW would be in the wrong for both enforcing a monopoly on the market by using stand over tactics on third party providers ( though this depends on the definition of the market), and also for extorting Australians by not charging either competitive shipping rates for international sales OR fair market value for the provided product.

EDIT: just on a side note. let me point at that Im not threatening GW personally as that would be a stupid thing to do A) before they undertake such action and B) before seeking better legal advice than I myself can provide.

Cheese
05-15-2011, 04:04 AM
I thought that's what you were saying, just wanted to be sure. And I completely agree with you, it's ridiculous how they extort their prices over here and that's the reason why my entire group of friends and I order from Wayland.

daboarder
05-15-2011, 04:33 AM
So do I but I heard recently that GW is trying to stop them from shipping to our side if the world, now I might find that hard to believe but I've also been informed that they are currently setting up a production facillity in OZ. of course we'll only be getting a 15% reduction in pricing and that would mean that it would still be cheaper to order online from wayland or maelstrom. It would appear to then make sense for GW to put a stop to this but as I said earlier that would be a violation of Australian trade law. If GW does move to OZ they need to prevent themselves from losing sales to overseas companies by providing reasonable prices not using stand over tactics.

Gotthammer
05-15-2011, 04:40 AM
I got some boxes from mail order the other day that had stickers saying "Produced in Australia" stuck to the plastic.

daboarder
05-15-2011, 05:01 AM
I got some boxes from mail order the other day that had stickers saying "Produced in Australia" stuck to the plastic.

Guess we're not even getting a price drop then, I'll give it a month to see what else happens...

eldargal
05-15-2011, 05:57 AM
There are issues with taxes to Brazil and Argentina thatm ay impact on GW products being shipped there, apparently, not to Australia and places like that.

I have also heard that GW are going to drop the antipodean prices, but only by 15% or so.

xxvaderxx
05-15-2011, 07:01 AM
There are issues with taxes to Brazil and Argentina thatm ay impact on GW products being shipped there, apparently, not to Australia and places like that.

I have also heard that GW are going to drop the antipodean prices, but only by 15% or so.

Well i am not paying 1 cent over the UK prices, if they can not lower their winnings to match prices world wide, then i guess thats it for 40k, its been a good run too bad it might have come to an end, there will always be vassal for the occasional game.

Whats harder to understand is how GW can possibly not be aware of how this will impact their sales in the region. This region while true it does have 40k as their main scify game, its also true that has many subgames waiting to take the spot, forum talk goes for Warmachine and Hordes, which is sad because i dont particularly like their battle scales, but i am not going to get stuck paying overpriced 40k to have it looking pretty on my shelfs.

eldargal
05-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Sure, if you don't want to support local stores with local staff that is your choice. No one is forcing you to buy their products if you don't like the prcing, don't pay. But at least wait until you actually have the facts (so monday) before you go off having a hissy fit on the internet. You will look damn stupid if you start frothing at the mouth over not being able to buy from WAylands/Maelstrom and then all the announcement is is a price decrease on local prices.

I have a close friend in Australia I spnet years trying to get back into the hobby, ultimately doing so by showing him the Waylands website. If he has to start paying more than effects me and upsets me, so it isn't like I'm defending this policy if it is true. But we DO NOT KNOW anything at this point beyond that something is happening.

xxvaderxx
05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Sure, if you don't want to support local stores with local staff that is your choice. No one is forcing you to buy their products if you don't like the prcing, don't pay. But at least wait until you actually have the facts (so monday) before you go off having a hissy fit on the internet. You will look damn stupid if you start frothing at the mouth over not being able to buy from WAylands/Maelstrom and then all the announcement is is a price decrease on local prices.

I have a close friend in Australia I spnet years trying to get back into the hobby, ultimately doing so by showing him the Waylands website. If he has to start paying more than effects me and upsets me, so it isn't like I'm defending this policy if it is true. But we DO NOT KNOW anything at this point beyond that something is happening.

I have no alligence to local business, they dont pay my rent, not my food not my bills, if they want my money they have to earn it, and i will not pay 50%-80% extra for the same product.

And i am sorry to burst your fanboy bubble but ive checked their web site yesterday and they have the same markups theyve always had, a rational mind could assume that being their big normalization announcement on monday, they would have taken the time to update their site, though that has not been the case.

eldargal
05-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Well like I said that is your choice, god forbid people support local companies who import goods with all the accompanying taxes and give local people jobs and an environment for gamers to play in. GW wouldn't be the first company to force people in different regions to buy through their local stores as much as possible, even assuming it is true.

Why would they pre-empt their announcement by lowering prices now? At least try and show some basic logic. You know nothing about this matter, you have no information on this matter, you are just whinging without any cause. At least wait until you know what is happening. If after that you want to quit the hobby do so. You are bursting no bubbles, you are just making yourself look like a moron.

To re-iterate:

All we KNOW is that GW are announcing some large changes tomorrow.

That is it, in its entirety, that is all we know. Until then online traders can not comment on the changes even if they know what they are. We also know no current orders or orders for the next month are effected. Leaving us, once more, with only the knowledge that something is changing.

What is rumoured:

That the shift to resin will be announced.
That independent stores will no longer be able to ship the southern hemisphere.
That Argentina and Brazil, not the southern hemisphere, but Argentina and Brazil will have something change with independant shipping due to a tax issue, possibly preventing independent stores from shipping to those countries.
That there will be a 15% reduction on some foreign currency prices.
That the Asia region is getting its own production facility to cut costs, based in Australia.

None, some or most of these things could be true. Once more, what do we know? That something is being announced and that Maelstrom and Wayland can't talk about it until it is. To quote Wayland Games on this:

Just to clarify, we have not been informed of any changes.

When we have them on Monday we will analyse them and if there are any significant changes will ensure that we communicate that 14 days is insufficient notice of major changes to established trading terms, which is an area of contract and not competition law we have advice on. And if any of the changes are we feel unreasonable will pass that feedback to GW.

At the moment my guys have been asked not to take part in speculation and wait until we cascade to them after the weekend.

So Wayland says the know nothing, Maelstrom says they can't comment at all until monday.

So, again, we know nothing. All we have is speculation, speculation that is based on nothing.

Oh and to quote a reliable rumourmonger that works at GW:

its to do with tax i have it on authority that its trying to be resolved but tax laws to certain countries means gw can be hit with import fines

the japan thing should be sorted when the aus thing is sorted

daboarder
05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Eldargal, buying local is a touchy subject down under. The outrageous prices and general lack of actuall hobby stores of any type in oz usually combine to mean that most people cannot afford the hobby to the extent of americans or europeans. Personally as a student I'd rather eat than pay literally twice what I otherwise would for this hobby.

edit: and Im sorry but a 15% cost cut STILL WONT CUT IT. they need a 50% cut to bring prices in line. Hells half the damn material probably comes from Australia in the first place.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-16-2011, 01:36 AM
I just compared the pricing of a Terminator assault squad.

Australia prices $74 AUS
Buying from UK $34.75AUS

Now thats not including postage ofcourse but it would never cost me $30 AUS in postage.
I wish they would produce in Australia, hopefully that would mean the prices would drop. Hopefully to near over seas market prices.

Now i buy local all the time, and i go to a store that always has 20% off prices so it doesn't worry me to much. But it would be nice to have a price drop here in Aus.

daboarder
05-16-2011, 02:00 AM
I just compared the pricing of a Terminator assault squad.

Australia prices $74 AUS
Buying from UK $34.75AUS

Now thats not including postage ofcourse but it would never cost me $30 AUS in postage.
I wish they would produce in Australia, hopefully that would mean the prices would drop. Hopefully to near over seas market prices.

Now i buy local all the time, and i go to a store that always has 20% off prices so it doesn't worry me to much. But it would be nice to have a price drop here in Aus.

They are now going to be producing in Australia, of course we're only getting a 15% price drop. Who do you shop with? do they have a Sydney store?

eldargal
05-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Yes, but Australia isn't going to have trade restrictions against it from independent stores like Argentina and Brazil, if the rumours are true. You can still buy from Waylands. I don't support the higher Australian prices, as I said earlier in one or other of these hysterical pricing threads I have friends who use Waylands at my recommendation.

15% just means if you want something right now instead of waiting a couple of weeks for it it won;t hurt your wallet so much, and it will get them some good press with all the people who have never heard of Waylands etc.

Eldargal, buying local is a touchy subject down under. The outrageous prices and general lack of actuall hobby stores of any type in oz usually combine to mean that most people cannot afford the hobby to the extent of americans or europeans. Personally as a student I'd rather eat than pay literally twice what I otherwise would for this hobby.

edit: and Im sorry but a 15% cost cut STILL WONT CUT IT. they need a 50% cut to bring prices in line. Hells half the damn material probably comes from Australia in the first place.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-16-2011, 03:02 AM
I think something is up, as when I went to do an order for the latest DE stuff, GW's British site was asking 100 pounds in shipping costs. Yet, only a few months when I did the Skaven pre-order, I only payed around 20 pounds for an equivalent amount.

eldargal
05-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok facts are now in, and GW are restricing independents stocked from the UK from shipping outside the EU.

Really, really stupid to say the least, I recommend anyone feelign aggrived write to GW, I will be and I can still buy from Waylands, not that I ever did, but still.

lattd
05-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Write to the UK office of fair trade stating that this move restricts your ability to buy a product. GW can monopolise their own shops but cannot restrict what shops do with the product once its sold to them, its unfair competitive practise.

eldargal
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I've always taken the view that GW don't deserve half the crap they have thrown at them, but this really is the single stupidest thing I've ever seen them do. They set the wholesale price of their kits at whatever they think they need to make a profit. It shouldn't matter overmuch if some independent stores are then selling it to people below the RRP. If they think they are losing sales to the independent stores then maybe they should think about their own pricing, not that of the independents.

lattd
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I agree GW prices are stupid now ive seen product prices double yes the quality has increase but it seems like they are trying to price the kit to compete with a video game which will be ludicrous. I worry about the economists they have at that company but then again if they are as good as the last two chancellors in the UK i can see why GW are financial idiots.

Gotthammer
05-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I've always taken the view that GW don't deserve half the crap they have thrown at them, but this really is the single stupidest thing I've ever seen them do. They set the wholesale price of their kits at whatever they think they need to make a profit. It shouldn't matter overmuch if some independent stores are then selling it to people below the RRP. If they think they are losing sales to the independent stores then maybe they should think about their own pricing, not that of the independents.

^ this is my position exactly. I've been a loyal GW customer for over twenty years, but it's just too much. I'm not going to say anything like I'm selling all my stuff or never buying again - but the only things I'm buying in the forseeable future are a box of Scourges, and any glues, paints or brushes I need.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, Maelstrom are dropping GW. Way to go, GW.

Edit: my error.

lattd
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Well, Maelstrom are dropping GW. Way to go, GW.

Where do they say that im on their website now. It says the can only sell to europe once the ban comes in place so were going to give everyone 18% off till the end of may.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Sorry, I misread a sentence on Maelstrom's announcement.

Lane
05-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Buying a Squat army off Ebay is looking more and more affordable.

daboarder
05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Write to the UK office of fair trade stating that this move restricts your ability to buy a product. GW can monopolise their own shops but cannot restrict what shops do with the product once its sold to them, its unfair competitive practise.

I will be, I will also be writing to the Australian Consumer watchdog and be asking my mate for legal advice regarding this situation.

faolan
05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm in Australia as well, but I'm actually an American.

To our Aussies: nearly EVERYTHING in this country costs more. Electronics cost more, GW costs more, etc. The reason for this is two-fold: the gov't controls the import licensing (and as a result has restricted who can bring it it and encouraged them to set prices higher), and the traditional values of the Australian Dollar vs the USD and the GBP.

The first I'm not really going to explain past the fact that it benefits the gov't to have things imported in and then sold at a higher price as it means greater tax revenues (a requirement for any country, but especially one with as many social programs spread out over vast distances like Australia).

The second, however, is one of the more pressing concerns. When trade supply negotiations for things like GW are negotiated, they go off both long term historic dollar prices and more recent history exchange rates as well. Some companies will negotiate to pay a rate of X AUD for a given product for anywhere from 1-5 years, which means the companies in other countries will have to look at long term trends of the currency values so that they can be reasonably sure they won't come out in the red during the course of the supply contract. Other companies will negotiate to buy in the local currency of the other country (say the GBP) and must then calculate their prices which they pass on the goods to us based off the long term rates (just because we're at a high right now doesn't mean that it'll stay there, the AUD for instance has fluctuated a lot in the last month).

Still others negotiate in a third party currency (most often the USD), and that makes the price point even more convoluted to figure out.

So let's look at those Scourges mentioned that sell for US$25

Given traditional exchange rates of 75-85%, they should be selling anywhere from AUD$30 to $35. But given that we discussed earlier that it has to account for fluctuations beyond the mean, it ends up being closer to double in price since at times the AUD has sank to nearly 50% of the USD. This is their argument at least, despite it being unlikely to hit that any time soon and that it hasn't been near that low in years.

Now people like to bring up shipping on GW, PP, and everything else. It's a valid argument to a point, but it quickly runs afoul when you stumble into the fact that most merchandise we consume is made in Asia and actually costs less to ship here. Now to stuff made in the UK, US, there is shipping to be accounted for, but what companies like GW pay for shipping is only a few extra pence on the Sterling. (You don't really think they ship it out every kit individually over the postal service?!).

So, my conclusion is that there is some historical justification for prices to be higher in Australia than the US (and nobody expects the AUD to stay this strong for an extremely long period of time), but the current ratio is, and has been, abusive for quite some time.

As an aside, however, I'd like to point out that the prices are higher on most things here in Australia, but your economy has compensated for it by paying everyone more. If prices here were to suddenly drop to the levels of the US, you'd all be rich. For a month or three at most, and then most businesses (other than things like the banks, which have record high profits) would go out of business since they don't run at a high enough profit rate to sustain that loss of income. If, and I do mean if, the entire chain in Australia dropped to what people would deem "more realistic prices", it wouldn't be unprofitable for a 25-30% price drop, but that requires everyone in the chain to agree and action it. (Not likely, especially if you look at food and the grocery prices.)

Now, GW's current move is a bit d'bag, I agree - they're trying to artificially protect the profits of GW-Aus and the other non-UK and non-US GW sub-corps. In some countries their current move is illegal, however, it remains to be seen if it's legal in the country in which they they did it (the UK - which has some very backwards trade practices laws). Thats the key point - what they're doing likely isn't legal in the US or in Australia, but it doesn't have to be as it's an order that only affects UK companies and takes place entirely in the UK. It's up to Her Majesty's Imbeciles to figure out, and all our rage and angst and goading at things like the ACCC won't do a damned bit of good because it's entirely out of their jurisdiction.

*Ninja edit*
It has to be legal under EU as well, since the UK agreed to be bound by EU laws in regards to trade practices, but most of those are aimed at European protectionism and fair trade within Europe, and aren't normally enforced when it violates the law but in dealings with the outside world (Airbus, anyone?).

daboarder
05-16-2011, 11:10 PM
good points Faolan.

However one key point about Australian law, It a well established precedent in Australia regarding international situations that WHERE the effect is felt is where jurisdiction falls. As such because it is the Australian customer that is affect by this, Australian law takes precedence therefore GW should be complying to our trade laws if they want to trade in our country.

EDIT: thats part of the reason the Australian government is notorious for NOT sticking their neck out for Australians who are subject to the laws of another country, IE: bali 9 and David hicks.

Gotthammer
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
So let's look at those Scourges mentioned that sell for US$25

Given traditional exchange rates of 75-85%, they should be selling anywhere from AUD$30 to $35

See that price I could deal with. It wouldn't be so bad if it felt like GW were doing something here for the extra money we pay - it's been, what, a decade since the last Games Day? And tickets are still $75 (and it's in Redfern...). Not that I'm not going of course ;)