PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld Models: Begginer Needing Tips and Tricks

aycee71
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
I am starting to buy some more Forgeworld models. I am new to the whole resin thing, and I know enough to know that it is a very different animal then plastic or metal that I am use to in regards to cleaning and shaping bent parts. I have been trying to glean some hints on different threads but I haven't found a thread specifically on the preparation and painting of resin models.

Farseer Aycee

isotope99
05-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Don't know of a specific thread but here are my steps (the list below looks quite long but they are generally not too bad):

1) Check components - You don't get sprues so you can get two left feet etc. sometimes.
2) Clean - standard dishwashing liquid will do fine in warm water
3) Bend (mostly needed on eldar)- Heat the piece and then bend it. Don't do too much too fast or it will snap. Very hot water or a hairdryer seem to be the popular choices.
4) Trim - Be careful if using a saw not to breathe in the dust. Otherwise, a sharp knife should do. Take small chunks and be careful not to stress the resin the wrong way or it can snap.
5) Dry fit - Sometimes the pieces need adjustment depending on how they have come out of the mould but you often won't get a perfect fit
6) Pin (if needed) - I don't usually pin my models (see step 8) but sometimes you might want to.[Note I have assumed no magnets will be used but they woudl go in this step too]
7) Glue - Superglue is needed for resin
8) Green stuff - You can fill gaps and reinforce joints with green stuff. Even if there is no gap some key joints will benefit from green stuff cement to strengthen them (e.g. warhound titan hips)
9) Spray - You may need two coats depending on how well you have cleaned the pieces
10) paint as normal

Gotthammer
05-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Forge World have recently put up a guide on their website:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/R/resintips.pdf

BoLS also had a frontpage article a while back about working with resin, and a number of bloggers have written on the subject.

sangrail777
05-12-2011, 12:54 PM
DECON!!
I can't stress enough on being carefull with the dust from resin.
Have a plan
I use a painting mask, eye pro, and wear non "fluffy" clothing. I like underarmour.
I use brushes (long,soft hair) to sweep as much off me and the parts as possible. I then use a vacuam to clean myself of and give the parts another bath.

I've choked pretty bad on the stuff before. Once one of my children complained of have trouble breathing, so I try really hard to get it all.

Forgeworld has been great about suppling missing parts. Even after a year of haveing the models Forgeworld still replaced missing parts.

PINNING and magnets more then any other models I've done, exspecially those titans.

Quick Grips, it's a tool that holds pieces together, comes in lots of sizes.

Meph
05-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Personally I'd like to stress the washing part. Definitely use an old toothbrush and thoroughly scrub every piece and make sure you scrub every nook & cranny. Many a cry of woe was uttered when removing masking tape and seeing paint being peeled of that was already been inked, highlighted, weathered etc etc.. even after the resin was cleaned before starting...

Scrub well and avoid screaming in desperation and shaking your fist at the gods.

SotonShades
05-13-2011, 05:16 AM
And just for good measure... CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! Seriously, this is probably the most important tip anyone can give you about working with resin. If you use a very stiff toothbrush you'll also help abrade the surface of the resin slightly, helping the paint stick even better.

I also advocate using a coat of car primerover the whole model before using whatever other product you usually prime your models with. Just be careful not to let the coats get too thick. This is what the FW team do with all the painted models on their website. Occasionally if you just use the GW sprays you can get a subtley different shade of black/white on any plastic bits of the model if you don't have the car primer. Not a problem when you are painting over it, but anything left un painted can show.

Finally, take your time. Worst thing you can do is rush what (usually) is a centrepiece model for your army. I know a few people who've rushed them and it has put them off from other resin kits. Again this also applies to cutting/bending etc.

armbarred
05-13-2011, 05:56 AM
What I do is an old trick from larger scale modelers, their genre of modeling has been around a lot longer than ours and they have perfected many a technique that we as gamers are just starting to use.

On the cleaning...

Warm soapy dishwater. Soak. Rinse. Change water.

Warm water. Soak for an hour or two. Rinse. Change water.

Repeat this several times over the course of an evening. Let them set in warm water over night.

Warm soapy dishwater. Soak. Rinse. Set out to dry.

(I basically set this up so I can start it on a Thursday evening after work. Due the last wash and rinse Friday morning before work, and they dry until I have a chance on Saturday to start with them.)

I always use nitrile gloves when handling the parts so I do not transfer any of my skins oils to the parts. Once clean and dry, I NEVER touch the pieces with bare hands.