PDA

View Full Version : Working on Scenery from 'Junk'... Wrecked Land Raider Style.

DeanWink
09-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I bought an older Land Raider and it ended up being horribly warped to the point where the one side was too poorly deformed to be of use. Then, there is the case of the Blastscape crater with the wrecked bit of spacecraft that looked horrible. I decided both separately was not worth anything, but putting them together could make some decent scenery.

I still need to 'scar' the Land Raider with bullet holes and do some more flashing on the model as well as maybe add some more 'scenery' bits such as a big rat or something. Anyhow, here is what I have so far:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/1/51055_md-Blastscape%2C%20Land%20Raider%2C%20Planet%20Strike %2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Terrain%2C%20Warhammer% 2040%2C000%2C%20Wrecked.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/1/51056_md-Blastscape%2C%20Land%20Raider%2C%20Planet%20Strike %2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Terrain%2C%20Warhammer% 2040%2C000%2C%20Wrecked.jpg

Lord Inquisitor
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice idea, especially with the low quality of both pieces. What do you know, you can put 2 pieces of crap together and get gold.

RexScarlet
09-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks great!
Heat-up that falling off track and bend it to look loose, maybe?

sukigod
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree with both comments so far. The "conversion" of junk to better looking junk is a good one. Almost wish I had a LR laying around to do this with. The rest of the piece is so good that the current track piece lets it down a bit.

Heating and bending is one way to deal with it, another might be cutting the track pads apart and scattering them "behind" the model, likes it's broken up - heat bending might deform the plastic too much and not look real/natural enough.

Great start here, and good luck!

zeronyne
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Are you going to do some serious fill in between the crater and the land raider, or does it sit fairly flush?

I'll be interested to see how it ends up. You can really see the problems with that vacuformed scenery when contrasted with the sharp, precise lines of the land raider!

Masterowen45
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
looks very nice, the too peices work magic together and look so natural. it is going to look great on the gaming table.

Bloodthirster
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I love how everyone , including me, who bought these seem to want to improve them, for thier terrible shoody detail. In my case I'm using Mig pigments.

Teek
09-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Seems two wrongs do make a right!

Excellent use of two otherwise shoddy pieces, this is a fantastic piece of scenery. Can't wait to see it painted!

wittdooley
09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Maybe I'm outta the loop, but what's wrong with the Land Raider?

EDIT: Nevermind... It's an older style LR. I get it now.

MajorSoB
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I like the idea but I dont like the angle that the landraider is placed in. In my mind it would be damn near impossible to roll a land raider and if it were hit by some sort of bombardment or ordinance I doubt very much it would be intact. Look at some WW2 shots of burned out tanks and armor. yes they do sink into the terrain but not at such a severe angle. That being said I do like the combination and look forward to seeing some painted photos.

SeattleDV8
09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1437

LOL you might be surprised check out the wrecked Tiger here

Aenir
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Maybe I'm outta the loop, but what's wrong with the Land Raider?

EDIT: Nevermind... It's an older style LR. I get it now.

Whats wrong with it?

thats the style land raider i have, i dont see anything wrong with it

zeronyne
09-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Whats wrong with it?

thats the style land raider i have, i dont see anything wrong with it

Nothing is wrong with the design...he stated in the original post that he acquired one with a badly warped side.

Apprentice40K
09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
It looks really good. I'd love to see it all painted up.

Like the others have said, the track in the second picture just looks wrong. Each section would be jointed, so if the track fell off, it wouldn't sit that way.

Aenir
09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Nothing is wrong with the design...he stated in the original post that he acquired one with a badly warped side.

ahh missed that, thanks :)

DeanWink
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah... I bought the Land Raider and it was so badly warped on the top pieces and some of the other bits that I couldn't build it. The rather odd angle was chosen because what got sawed off was the warped part.

I'm going to work on the treads and do some pin holes with scarring around them this weekend and maybe add the dead space marine from the casualty pack as well.

Thanks again for the great replies guys!

person person
09-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Nice idea, especially with the low quality of both pieces. What do you know, you can put 2 pieces of crap together and get gold.

agreed

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Did you try putting it together with elastic bands and immersing it in boiling water? That can sort out warped plastic kits.

Brilliant idea though, always nice to see unique terrain.

rsheridan5
09-05-2009, 05:22 PM
This will be a nice piece of scenery. Glad to know that even junk can come in handy sometimes.
I would suggest some sort of filler for where the track comes apart... Maybe some small gears, guitar string, and other small mechanical bits filling the gap and falling out perhaps. It would be a chore painting something like that, but the open bit just takes away from the model.
Make sure to post a painted version when it is completed, I look forward to seeing it!