PDA

View Full Version : Iron Hands - Using GK Dex

FlangeNabber
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi all,
I was tinkering with my Iron Hands army the other day as it's been gathering dust for too long. I was wondering how I could do Mars support in an Iron hands List when my flat mate came home with the new Grey Knight dex.
After having a quick look I realised I cold do a pretty similar list using the GK dex but with the Cult Mechanicus support far better represented.

So here we have it:)

Tech Preist (Xenos Inquisitor)
Conversion Beamer, Psycotroke Grenades

Tech Preist (Xenos Inquisitor)
Power Armor, Power Weapon, Rad Genades, Plasma Syphon

Cult of the Ominissah (Henchman Squad)
3 Plasma Cannon Servitors, 2 Praetorians (Jokaero), 6 Hyspasists (Warrior Acolytes)

Cult of the Ominissah (Henchman Squad)
4 Skitarii (Death Cult Assasins), 4 Hyspasists (Warrior Acolytes)
Chimera Transport

Techmarine
Rad Grenades, Blind Grenades, Psycotroke Grenades

Iron Father (Venerable Dreadnought)
Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Depleted Uranium Shells (Psybolt Ammo)

5 Man Clan Council (GKT's)
Incinerator, Clan Banner (Brotherhood Banner),Thunder Hammer (Daemon Hammer), 4 Power Axes (Helberds)

2 x 6 Iron Hands Marines (Strike Squad)
Thunder Hammer, Psycannon
Razor Back Trasport with Depleted Uranium Shells

Knight Titan (Dreadnight)

2 x Dreadnought - 2 x Twin Linked Auto Cannons, Depleted Uranium Ammo

Storm Raven Gunship - Depleted Uranium Ammo

What do you think?

DarkLink
05-08-2011, 01:08 AM
That's a pretty decent list with a few modifications. First off, a naked Dreadknight isn't spectacular. It either needs a Teleporter to get in your opponent's face and be big and threatening, or an Incinerator so it can kill something (the psycannon and especially the psilencer are kinda meh). You don't really want to be reduced to watching your opponent ignore it as it slogs up the board doing nothing, or being required to deepstrike it in your opponent's face every single game.

You also have 3 dudes with grenades and only two real assault units. You could save yourself a few points and drop the techmarine and use one Inquisitor as a grenade/hammerhand/wound soak for the unit in the SR, then upgrade the second Inquisitor to have a psycannon that he can walk and shoot with the Terminators or to be a second grenade carrier. I'd also drop a bunch of the Warrior Acolytes and get more DCA. You'd then have two solid CC units, both with grenades.

I'd also replace the Incinerator on the Terminators with a psycannon. Psycannons are so much more useful and flexible in so many ways that even though Incinerators are great, you're always better off with a psycannon.

FlangeNabber
05-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Thanks Darklink,
Your bang on with regards to the dreadknight but this list is more a chance to build and convert the army I've always wanted than it is to field the best list from the newest Codex.

So far the Dread Knight hasn't actually been killed in my first 2 games (mostly through lucky invulnerable saves) and it's soaking up loads of serious fire power which other wise would be targeting more vital elements of my list.
As I see it this is probably a Dread Knights best use as other than looking cool they don't really appear to achieve much, at least not without the teleporter.

The Techmarine has to stay if not just because it's a cool looking model that fits the theme. He can also repair the Storm Raven and has done so in one of my first 2 games.

I'm not certain I agree on the grenade comment,those lovely grenades are also a steal for self defence as they work both when you charge and are charged.
They are the knid of dirty trick that the look on your opponents face alone is worth it when his guys sit down and are auto hit or start swinging at themself!

So far this list has torn my first 2 opponents apart (Tyrinids and Eldar). I actually felt bad at how easily the shooting alone ripped through most of their armies in 2-3 turns

It will be interesting to see how it goes against other newer Codex builds?

DarkLink
05-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, against a good tournament player the Dreadknight would probably get ignored more often, but if you're not doing really competitive play then your list is pretty good as-is.

I only really mention the grenades as you don't have too many units to benefit from them. If you had a 10 man GKSS unit then you'd have a third unit that could really benefit.

GKs do pretty well against other new codices. We are built to destroy DE, and we can put so much pressure to deal with our units that most SW/BA lists tend to get pinned down in their deployment zone trying to deal with our advancing army. I haven't played Guard, so I don't know about them, but I think we have the firepower to shake/kill their long range artillery and vendettas, so it really comes down to being able to open up Chimeras quickly enough.

FlangeNabber
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I see your point about the grenades,
they will definitley be more cost effective on larger squads espeacilly ones they can really fight back. But for their points I still think they are awsome regardless. They should probably be one of the first things to drop if you need points elsewhere though.

If I did drop the grenades on the shooty HQ and the plasma syphon that would allow me to purchase the h/incinerator for the dreadknight?

I do play in the local tournament scene but here in New Zealand the emphasis is much lees about winning or loosing than it is about having fun at tournaments. Maybe the top 1/3 of players are serious gamers with powerfull builds but interestingly often the fluffy lists get up and beat them. Some fluffy lists can be like kryptonite to power gaming builds which keeps it interesting:)