PDA

View Full Version : Gk Grand Masters stare longingly at rhinos

sergentzimm
05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
So I find it odd that I cannot put very many GK HQ choices in with their troops with dedicated transports. It would be nice to have the option of having a grand master in artificer armor.

I have a list with all four of my squads with transports and the Grand Master is all a lone. I have no terminators for him to drop with, he is just lonely.

MaltonNecromancer
05-07-2011, 10:12 AM
That's part of the army design, yes? They're not supposed to play like regular marines. :) You've got the option of Land Raiders (points heavy, keeping your army numbers low), or else Deep Strike (risky and heroic)

I think people need to accept that GK's are very different from every other marine army; comparing GK's to vanilla marines is flawed. It's when people say "Standard GK's are better than regular marines because they get more equpiment for cheaper". Yes, on the surface, that's true, but it ignores the actual army as a whole.The stat lines and equipment are familiar, but weapons, equipment, army builds, etc... all completely different.

GK HQ's don't like Rhinos. So stop thinking like a Space Marine, start thinking like a Grey Knight, and find a new strategy.

sergentzimm
05-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah I hear ya, its just a little odd. Especially since I dont really like Land Raiders, and they take up a hot Heavy slot.

fuzzbuket
05-07-2011, 10:41 AM
how about deepstriking him in on turn 2/3/4 behind your lines, then making him join say, some purifiers who have vacated their transport?

or just have him run behind your rhinos, hiding behind them?

Root
05-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Its not the lack of a Master in Art Armor that bugs me its the Librarian. I desperately wanted that Libby:) to lead a Strike Squad in a Rhino and Summon stuff. Alas it was not to be... In its place I run a Grand Master and a Librarian in a 7 man Terminator squad who waltz behind the Rhinos and use The Shrouding to get a 3+ cover save. It is pretty expensive but a real threat once it footslogs its way around. Your Grand Master on foot by himself is lascannon food. Get him some backup or replace him...

DarkLink
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Take 10 terminators, give the GM grenades, and march up the middle of the board and laugh at anything that tries to assault you.

sergentzimm
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah the librarian is definitely the one that is the one that I would want more.

I only have five terminators now, so I might try the 10 sometime when I can get more.

GM Rex Nihilo
05-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Take 10 terminators, give the GM grenades, and march up the middle of the board and laugh at anything that tries to assault you.

Why would a clever opponent assault this unit? When they can shoot it? 5++ is that great!

Mr.Pickelz
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
i did that against eldar, and it worked farily well, i made a decent size blob in the center of the board and was able to stun or blow his transports, the bad turn for him was his Farseer ran off the board do to casualty's from their exploding transport....

DarkLink
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Why would a clever opponent assault this unit? When they can shoot it? 5++ is that great!

You'd be surprised at the reduction in firepower you get when half your opponent's army is shaken or stunned by psyrifle dreads. Especially when cover saves are a 4+;).

I've played a unit of 10 Terminators in my last 3-4 games, against BA and SW Razorback spam and DE dark lance spam. Both armies have tons of long range AP 2 shooting. Yet despite this, it has taken 5+ turns for my opponent to kill the Terminators even dumping all his firepower into them.

Basically, the DE army got one good turn of shooting before I shot down pretty much everything, thanks to all the psycannons and psyrifle dreads he had. The razorback spam lists lasted a little longer, but their vehicles spent most of their time shaken/stunned or had weapons blown off. By the time I walked into his deployment zone, I still had most of my terminators and he had no more razorbacks, so he had to rely on meltaguns and counterassaulting with units.

So, yes, the Terminators will die against an opponent with a good list. Maybe. But it will take up the majority of his long range firepower for most of the game, leaving the rest of my army free to kill as it pleases.

I have yet to play against Guard, though. But frankly, Guard long-range high-AP shooting is split between blasts and vendettas, and vendettas probably won't live past turn 2, so all I need to do is spread out so the blasts won't hit more than 1 guy at a time. We'll see when I get a chance to play against Guard next.

plawolf
05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
If you really want a cheap rhino class transport for your Libby or GM accompanied squad, you always have the option of the humble =I= chimera. Termies can mount up on them no problems at all.

Since I normally take a xenos =I= with conversion beamer to help out with ranged AV anyways, it would not be much of a problem to buy 3 acolytes as ablative wounds for the =I= in order to access the chimera. That is the cheap as chips option of getting a transport.

You could get some space monkeys for added long range firepower, or some crusaders and/or DCAs as a suicide squad that can break off to engage any deep strikers coming into your back field to take/contest objectives or to mess with your fire support guys.

Lots of options and possibilities really.

MaltonNecromancer
05-08-2011, 03:24 AM

Because battles aren't fought in a coverless white room between two squads of equal value? There are other variables to consider... :rolleyes: If I'm taking Terminators, I'm not putting them in a situtation where your plasma can get to them! :)

If you really want a cheap rhino class transport for your Libby or GM accompanied squad, you always have the option of the humble =I= chimera. Termies can mount up on them no problems at all.

Not really available to them though, as =I= Chimera aren't available as Dedicated Transports to any GK's, just human =I= forces. GK's have to take Rhino's or Razorbacks and that's it.

DarkLink
05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
So take 3 Acolytes and a Chimera, let the Acolytes hunker down in cover near an objective and give the Chimera to the Terminators. Or something like that, anyways.

sergentzimm
05-09-2011, 10:24 AM
So take 3 Acolytes and a Chimera, let the Acolytes hunker down in cover near an objective and give the Chimera to the Terminators. Or something like that, anyways.

Yeah that requires taking an Inq, which I usually do, plus those points. A Chimera is not a rhino, sadly.

HsojVvad
05-09-2011, 01:38 PM
So I find it odd that I cannot put very many GK HQ choices in with their troops with dedicated transports. It would be nice to have the option of having a grand master in artificer armor.

I have a list with all four of my squads with transports and the Grand Master is all a lone. I have no terminators for him to drop with, he is just lonely.

Good thing you don't play Tyranids. None of the HQs can go in a transport or Myceotic Spore pod. You don't have it so rough. :)

sergentzimm
05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Good thing you don't play Tyranids. None of the HQs can go in a transport or Myceotic Spore pod. You don't have it so rough. :)

Yes but you can have wings and you are also a bad ***.

mysterex
05-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Is a leader of a chapter with the best equipment available really going to ride round in a rhino when he has multiple land raiders parked in the garage?

I doubt it.

While it makes putting a list together more difficult it makes sense background wise.