PDA

View Full Version : KFFs and Explosions

Timbo
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Do Orks get a KFF save from vehicle explodes results?

blackarmchair
05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Do Orks get a KFF save from vehicle explodes results?

You actually take the KFF save after your opponent rolls to glance/pen but before he rolls on the damage chart so...yes.

Timbo
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
No, I mean if a vehicle is destroyed and blows up with a radius catching the Orks, or if Orks are passengers in an exploded vehicle, will the Orks get a KFF save versus the resultant str3 hits?

Gir
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
If the orks are inside the CFF radius and the vehicle is outside it, I would let them have the save.

wkz
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
If the orks are inside the CFF radius and the vehicle is outside it, I would let them have the save.If the orks are inside the KFF radius and the vehicle is insideit , I would still let them have the save.

Gir, note that the latest Ork codex does not have a range restriction on KFF saves: even if the melta-gun is shoved almost right up the Mekboy's own nostril, as long as its a shooting attack the KFF will activate.

Now, the million dollar question: does the KFF work for the units currently embarked in the vehicle when it explodes (note that technically the embarked unit is "not inside the game", and thus the KFF might not work on them)

I would say yes they get a KFF save IF the Mek is with those boys when the vehicle blows up... but what if those boys are NOT with the Mek at the time of explody?

Gir
05-02-2011, 09:15 PM
If the orks are inside the KFF radius and the vehicle is insideit , I would still let them have the save.

Gir, note that the latest Ork codex does not have a range restriction on KFF saves: even if the melta-gun is shoved almost right up the Mekboy's own nostril, as long as its a shooting attack the KFF will activate.

I thought it did. Must be thinking of the Titan one.

Also, no need to be a jerk about it.

thecactusman17
05-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I'd figure this works the same way as Blood Angels and their Sanguinary Priests. If you could normally take a cover save you can. Nothing in the rules says that you can't take a cover save against exploding vehicles. However, vehicles themselves would not grant the save. So a KFF should allow you to get the cover save.

blackarmchair
05-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, that's basically right.

If any model in the unit is within 6" it receives a save.

wkz
05-03-2011, 01:44 AM
I thought it did. Must be thinking of the Titan one.

Also, no need to be a jerk about it.?

No jerkingness intended in my original post. I am just clarifying my position, the current KFF rules and trying to guess the reason why you think the KFF worked the way you described.

Sorry 'bout that.

Timbo
05-03-2011, 02:05 AM
I would say yes they get a KFF save IF the Mek is with those boys when the vehicle blows up... but what if those boys are NOT with the Mek at the time of explody?

Good question! What if the Mek is in a neighbouring vehicle? His KFF bubble eminates from a vehicle, but will it affect those in a vehicle that explodes within 6"?

SeattleDV8
05-03-2011, 02:41 AM
The only question is : Is one of the members of the unit within 6" of the KFF ,(in this case within 6" of the hull of the exploding vehicle)?
If yes, the unit gets a cover save (5+) As they are not placed in area terrain (crater) until after the explosion is resolved and the embarked unit does not get the obscured cover save.

Skragger
05-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I suppose the question can be expanded to: If the mek is inside a vehicle, does the KFF eminate from the edge of the vehicle? If this is the case, if I put the mek in a BW, then it becomes quite a large area the field is covering (6" from all the edges of the vehicle).

I can only assume it must because we don't know where inside the mek is standing... :confused:

blackarmchair
05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah you measure from any point on the vehicle's hull, the same as you would with a Sanguinary Priest or for a Psychic Hood.

Mycroft Holmes
05-03-2011, 02:18 PM
We had this exact thing happen last weekend.

Big Mek with KFF in BattleWagon
I drop a Demolisher shell on it and get a Penetrating Hit.
He took his Obscured Vehicle roll and failed.
I Exploded the vehicle.
We wondered if the orks get to use the KFF instead of armor saves.

Here is my take:
You only take cover saves from shooting attacks; thus it didn't apply to an explosion.

I couldn't' think of any circumstances in which you're allowed to take a coversave against a non-shooting wound. Anyone have an example that breaks this?

Mycroft

SeattleDV8
05-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Here is my take:
You only take cover saves from shooting attacks; thus it didn't apply to an explosion.

I couldn't' think of any circumstances in which you're allowed to take a coversave against a non-shooting wound. Anyone have an example that breaks this?

BRB pg. 67 "....hits equal to the number of models embarked,treated just like hits from shooting."
There is also the 'Nid Spirit Leech, not a shooting (or psychic shooting) attack that allows cover.
'Nid FAQ
"Q: Can cover saves be taken against wounds inflicted
by the Doom of Malant’tai’s Spirit Leech ability?
A: Yes."