PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings - they got it a third right :(

Myu
04-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Going by the latest white dwarf, tomb kings now have to cast spells normally, not automatic (and less powerful) and hate the living instead of just wanting to conquer the world. They still can do infantry/chariots/monsters or a combination of them, but anyone else think the first 2 changes kill off some of what made they interesting and different?

Connjurus
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
They didn't want to conquer the world before, they just wanted to keep people out of Khemri.

TheBitzBarn
05-01-2011, 05:33 PM
No They make them fit the play of the game instead of being a weird anomaly. Hell a T8 monster is way over the top.

Myu
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Anomaly? If you want something the same as all the other factions, then play them. Lots of other factions have infantry, horsemen and monsters, and one is undead. You need more then that to be different.

Edit:
Xas and Mazelf no trolling please.

Connjururs:
Actually they did. They conquered as much as possible like they did in life, but they also had living subjects for at least one of the tomb kings.

Connjurus
05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe some, but not the "main" Tomb King's army...I remember that being his thing, like he only woke up when his lands were threatened or something, which I thought was really cool.

Myu
05-03-2011, 12:34 AM
That's true. I wonder if the whole "kill all the living" is only Setra and a few tomb kings? I hope so anyway...

Connjurus
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I certainly hope so - I really like the Tomb Kings not being "evil" undead.

electrix
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I like that they now hate the living. Before with their "only wanting to keep people out of Khemri" fluff it made them seem like a bit player in the world. That being said, if they made them a more active player in the world without having changed to hating the living I would have been pleased so this is kind of a non-issue for me. I like what they did with the magic though, since the Tomb Kings are getting much cooler spells, with the exception of the loss of the resurrection spell, it feels like it is more balanced.

Chronowraith
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I like that they now hate the living. Before with their "only wanting to keep people out of Khemri" fluff it made them seem like a bit player in the world. That being said, if they made them a more active player in the world without having changed to hating the living I would have been pleased so this is kind of a non-issue for me. I like what they did with the magic though, since the Tomb Kings are getting much cooler spells, with the exception of the loss of the resurrection spell, it feels like it is more balanced.

Overall their lore and attribute are fantastic. The only spell I can't stand is the Skullstorm (number 6 on the chart). 15+ for a small template magical vortex that does S4 hits? Pass. I might try it out if I roll it on the chart but the augment and hex spells on the list will have far greater effect on the game in my opinion.

Myu
05-08-2011, 06:52 AM
The thing I don't like is that you have to roll to cast now. TK spells were weaker then vampire counts, but you couldn't fail them (nor irresistible force either). Since I roll terribly, this meant I did better overall as I couldn't fail. I was jealous of the vampire count's power, but I value reliability even higher. It was also something uniue to TK and now they don't have it anymore.

I'm not a fan of the "kill the living" as the whole "only wanting to keep people out of Khemri" actually wasn't their main focus. They wanted to rule the whole world. Not all, but some certainly did. You don't need to kill the living (which is already done by other undead) to be a player in the world...

Edit:
By the way, with the book in hand, the fluff is otherwise wonderful and makes a great read. The eternal battle of the kings springs to mind as one.

Chronowraith
05-08-2011, 10:06 AM
The thing I don't like is that you have to roll to cast now. TK spells were weaker then vampire counts, but you couldn't fail them (nor irresistible force either). Since I roll terribly, this meant I did better overall as I couldn't fail. I was jealous of the vampire count's power, but I value reliability even higher. It was also something uniue to TK and now they don't have it anymore.

I really didn't find their magic any more reliable in the old book. Sure, it always went off regardless of what you rolled but at least half your magic phase would be dispelled... reliably. Given how important the magic phase was to TK in the old book it was usually pretty disastrous and one (of many) reasons why the book suffered a power drop from 7th to 8th.

I think the new lore is much better. Far more well rounded and the lore attribute is perfect and means we can still regen wounds on units without our opponents waiting to dispel a single spell.

I'm also glad they removed the Hieratic order. This way things aren't as predictable in the magic phase for my opponent. If I need the Casket to go off I can wait and do it last or use it first to draw some dispel dice.

Myu
05-09-2011, 12:21 AM
"would be dispelled... reliably. "

That's why I took more lich priests. As the book said, there's only so much dispel you opponent can have. Not much gets through, but it was enough (though I felt that the vampire/necromancer whoever had an insane amount of dice they could throw around for any reason. Scary seeing have a unit of undead appear due to one spell). I haven't played the new book yet, but I don't see them getting any more chance to avoid dispelling. All I see is a greater chance of failure.

I am very glad that order is gone though, that was annoying if fluffy.

Chronowraith
05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
"I haven't played the new book yet, but I don't see them getting any more chance to avoid dispelling. All I see is a greater chance of failure."

Take a Casket of Souls. It gives you d3 power dice. Use Enkhil's Kanopi which gives you power dice for dispelling Remains In Play spells. There are definately options out there.

Also, the tried and true philosphy of taking a number of small priests still works. The spells within the Lore all have reasonable casting costs and some are easily boostable to affect multiple units.

I've played two games so far. One with three priests (level 4 and two level 2s) and one with a single level 4. I didn't have any issues with magic in either game (vs Chaos and High Elves).