PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions; Green Stuff and Pinning

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I've had a Kharn miniature kicking around forever that I've never done anything with so I've decided to make him into a Word Bearers Coryphaus, just for the **** of it. I want to make a cloak for him to flow out from under his backpack and I want to use a Terminator power maul as an Accursed Crozius, a la Dark Crusade. I'm also going to swap his head with something and 'chain' the book you get with the Terminator Lord to his left shoulder-pad but I digress.

First question; how exactly do you get Green Stuff to 'stick' to a miniature? Is it self-adhesive, does it need gluing or something else like pinning?

Second question; how would you go about pinning something like a power maul? It's only ca. 2/3mm wide at the shaft. Would it be easier to cut Kharn's left arm off completely and maybe use the power maul arm from the Dark Angels chapter upgrade?

Third question; is all of this hopelessly ambitious for someone who's never done anything other than head or weapon swaps before? How hard is it to actually sculpt a billowing cloak from GS? In theory it seems quite simple.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I have only a little experience with GS i find it sticks ok however a little glue sometimes helps

here is a link to a tutorial of how to sculpt a tabard with GS i think a cloak would be a relatively similar process.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/sculpting-greenstuff-tabard

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
here is a link to a tutorial of how to sculpt a tabard with GS i think a cloak would be a relatively similar process.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/sculpting-greenstuff-tabard

That's insanely helpful, thanks for the link.

Lane
04-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Green Stuff will stick to a mini as long as te surface is clean and dry. OTOH by wetting the surface you can make a will pull off easily, useful if you need to get at both sides.

This method works well when practicing a new technique and expect to screw up several times.

MaltonNecromancer
04-30-2011, 03:58 AM
is all of this hopelessly ambitious for someone who's never done anything other than head or weapon swaps before?

How you gonna learn unless you try? :)

Cloaks are the easiest thing to GS. I prefer using milliput myself, as it dries to a harder consistency and can be sculpted more easily afterwards, but GS isn't bad either. Just make a flat sheet of GS, cut to shape, apply to the model, leave to dry, then trim the edges.