PDA

View Full Version : Techmarine or Inquisitor?

Sonikgav
04-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Simple title really.

Im looking for that last piece of my list. I already have the Psyfleman dreadnaughts and all the other 'standard' stuff but ive got an option thats making me think.

I was planning an Inquisitor with trokes and rads with a retinue of 5DCA's and 2 crusaders. The more i look at them though the more i realise they have no transport, no range and dont score. In short their killy but a bit of a liability and an easy couple of kill points.

What im considering instead is a techmarine. He'd have the same Grenades the Inq has as well as a Halberd and Stormbolter. Keeping him combaty he bolsters the vindicares hiding spot then becomes the 6th man in a Razorback Purifier squad. It also gives me 20 poits to play with. If i dont need the extra combat i can always just give him a Beamer to sit at the back.

Thought?

gcsmith
04-29-2011, 03:16 AM
The inquisitor can be 6th man in the squad, and provide things like anti plasma and pyscic defnse with a hood i think. not too sure on them having hoods :/

Lukaz
04-29-2011, 04:04 AM
I think in a large points game I would go back to a techmarine as I may want to use the second HQ slot that the Inq takes up, however in 1500pts and less the Inq with DCA's is disgusting. I run 10 DCA's with the Inq trokes and rad and hammerhand, thats 40 ws5 str5 i6 attacks against -1t enemy and some random affect. I cannot sing there praises, last game that unit killed a carnifex with 4 wounds and 2 crushers in combat without taking a hit in return. (not amazing but thats what happened and I am sure if more was in combat more would have died, they caused 9 wounds to the carnifex).

Sonikgav
04-29-2011, 04:08 AM
The inquisitor can be 6th man in the squad, and provide things like anti plasma and pyscic defnse with a hood i think. not too sure on them having hoods :/

Im not taking a Plasma syphon it sounds better than it is. Short range and noones even sure what weapons it effects. Hood is tempting but i think the Techmarine might be more surviveable, has the same gear my current inqusitor hasand better armour/combat ability. Plus the kicker of bolstering defences giving my vindicare a potential 2++ save.

Id just be losing the Death Cult.

ankhcitizen
04-29-2011, 04:12 AM
If you're running a few long distance dreadnoughts a techmarine with a conversion beamer (seems awesome at long ranges) can provide extra long range support and use his psychic repair on the dreadnoughts, re rolling repair rolls seems a good thing.

Lukaz
04-29-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm not sure just how much combat potential the techmarine has over the Inq. The inq has 5 attacks on the charge, the techmarine 4, granted all are at higher str but 2 are at I1. The Inq is far more likely to get hammerhand off with ld10. The inq gives his/her unit stubborn which I think is better at ld10 than atsknf. The inq has 3 wounds so can take some wounds from shooting for you. The inq is less points, hammerhand, grenades and skulls costs 94 as apose to the techmarines 124. so you save 30pts, thats another purifier or 2 DCA. The biggest benifits are the bolstered defenses and the elite slot.

I think, after a few games, that the bolstered defenses are not that great as now with such a hammer as the 10 DCA's in a crusader, most of my opponents focus on destroying the LRC rather than shooting my support in the ruins. Also running 2 HQ's as Darklink often points out is expensive so Im not so worried about losing my second slot. Finally due to the 36" range of the vindicare, I have often, especially in table quaters games had to place him outside my deployment zone to let him hit stuff, thus no bolstered ruin.#

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Luke

DarkLink
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I would take an Inquisitor with Hammerhand and Grenades. Stick him in a large Purifier or Terminator unit and they'll kill virtually anything in the game, charge or no.

Sonikgav
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Im thinking of kitting out with Trokes, Rads, Power Armour and Psychic Powers. Weighs in about 93 points and joins a 5 man unit of Purifiers in their Razorback. So far that 5 man squad can handle a 10 man Marine squad fairly easily, with the Grenades, the spare guy to cast Hammerhand so the squad can use what they like and the extra attacks he provides they should do much better.

Now i just have 62 points spare lol. 6 Psykers stood in terrain?

plawolf
04-29-2011, 10:52 AM
If you take the =I= and a Libby, you could make my favorite GK CC hammer unit.

=I= with PA and rad grenades, Libby with Might of Titan and quicksilver and 9/10 DCA in a storm raven/LRC is quite scary.

With the Libby casting hammerhand and MoT, you have the 9 DCA hitting at S6 I6 against -1T enemy. They will chop through MEQ like nobody's business, and will instagib any Marine characters without eternal warrior, which has caught more than 1 opponent out before. If you really want to bring the hurt, you can upgrade the =I= to cast hammerhand, with the Libby casting quicksilver for S6 I10 craziness. Although that's almost never needed, unless you are charing halbert wielding GKs I guess.

Although I have found that a homer on the Libby, plasma syphon and Psychic communion on the =I= (I tend not to bother with trock nades with this set up since most opponents don't survive long enough for the effects to be needed) to act as the spearhead of a DSing GK force to be quite useful.

Sonikgav
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately my list is a Purifier list so Crowe has the other HQ slot but i am planning on making this book my new 'Standard Army' in that ill collect alot of variant units, mix and match and try new things.

LR Crusader, Libby, Inquisitor and as many DCA as i can squeeze in? :) That is definitely on the list at some point ;) as is the Termie army etc.

The spare points im considering dropping the Trokes from the Inquisitor to free up an extra 15 points to take the teleporter for the Dreadknight....as long as i dont mind him being so expensive.

plawolf
04-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, I go for S6 mainly as a throw back to the S6 GKs of old. With 4 PW attacks each on the charge against -1T, even S5 should mean the S6 against T3 MEQ is overkill and unnecessary most of the time, characters or no characters.

Although the techmarine can also take rad nades. So even with Crowe you can still get S6 against -1T, although its an expensive way of doing it and probably not worth the effort most of the time.