PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Grey Knights (Fast Strike Unit)

Arien
04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
HQ:

Librarian with Sanctuary, Shrouding, Might of Titan, Quicksilver.
Librarian with Sanctuary, Shrouding, Might of Titan, Quicksilver.

Troops

10 GK Strike Squad (No upgrades)
10 GK Strike Squad (No upgrades)
5 GK Strike Squad (No upgrades)

Fast Attack

Stormraven Gunship with TL Multi Melta, TL Lascannon
Stormraven Gunship with TL Multi Melta, TL Lascannon

Heavy Support

Land Raider Redeemer with Psybolt Ammo

So the 10 man GKSS squads go into the Stormravens with a Libby each, and the 5 GKSS deploy in the Landraider.

SRs are there to pop vehicles, LRR is there to mop up hordes with the flamestorms.
The 10 man squads are there to assault with the libby on the turn they use quicksilver and MoT, otherwise the SRs can move flat out and use shrouding to receive a 3+ cover against incoming attacks.

Thoughts? I rather like playing with low model count lists, and only having to move 3 vehicles a turn will greatly speed up my games (haha).

Would like to know what the flaws in the list are (I know there are many, no psycannons, minimal upgrades) and how my playstyle could compensate for such flaws?

plawolf
04-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Not enough bodies, and GKSS are nowhere near 'choppy' enough to use as hammer CC units, and the land raider is a waste since you haven't got anything worth transporting.

GK are a mobile shooty army. They are supposed to shoot the crap out of the enemy and then finish them off in CC, not rush headline into melee like Blood Angels.

If you really want a alpha strike CC hammer to drop on the enemy, Purifiers are your best bet with a storm raven. You can get a whole squad of them plus a Libby in an SR.

With the rest of your points, you should be loading up on as many bodies and ranged anti-tank options as you could afford to make up for how expensive your hammer is going to be.

Personally, I think a JumpKnight and a squad of interceptors (or just a pair of Jumpknights) would be a solid 'in your face' option.

The lot of them can 'shunt' 30", ideally out of LoS, then have a 12" move plus 6" assault next turn. So you could easily be in assault second turn most of the time. And with dreadknights, you can put a serious dint in whatever you assault (within reason, as I don't imagine a dreadknight will fair too well charging into a 10 men TH/SS termie squad for example). Two dreadknights double the killing power, but a 10 men interceptor squad can combat squad and attack two separate units, so has more disruption potential.

DarkLink
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you're taking two ~200pt hqs, two ~200pt vehicles, and a Land Raider on top of that. The list's flaws are a lack of firepower, a lack of real CC power, a lack of durability, a lack of anti-tank, and eggs in one basket syndrome.

In order for "playstyle" to make up for anything, a list still need to be solid in all aspects of the game, even if it may not be something you'd take to 'ard Boyz. This list requires quite a few changes to make that happen.

Incidentally, "minimal upgrades" isn't a problem. In fact "maximal upgrades" are a far, far bigger problem than minimal upgrades. Take only what you need, and save the extra points for more units/bodies.

Anyways, you can do dual storm ravens. Dual Librarians is a bit too many points, and you can get cheaper and more reliable CC force multipliers.

We can start with this:
Librarian 4 powers
Xenos inquisitor w/ rad, psykotroke grenades, hammerhand, power armor
2 Storm Ravens

That's ~670pts, so you've got 830 left.

You want a cc unit, and you have an Inquisitor, so 10 Death Cult Assassins are a start. They're cheap and very deadly, if fragile. Play around with some of the unit options, but you should end up around 150pts.

~700pts left, and you need two troops and scoring/anti-tank. 5 Terminators hit hard in CC, with a psycannon for a bit of firepower, and they score.

~450pts left. That's 10 Terminators on foot with 2 psycannons.

You can mix the HQs around where they will do the most good. Put one with the Terminators on foot, and most opponents will have a tough time dealing with that many buffed up terminators. The other goes with the Terminators in the Raven (ravens carry 12 dudes, right?). Death Cult Assassins do their own thing.

You've got more psycannons, more durable units, are quite a bit more potent in CC, while still keeping with the dual Raven and low model count idea.

That's my idea, anyways.