PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Grey Knights tounry list

Denied
04-27-2011, 09:23 AM
HQ:
235pt Grey Knight Grand Master: MC Incinerator, MC NFS, psychotroke, rad, blind grenades,Empryean Mines

160pts Librarian: Shrouding, Sanctuary

Elite:
220pts 6man Purifiers: 2xPsycannons, 3x Halbreds , MC Hammer; Rhino

Troop:
335pts 7man Terminators: Brotherhood Banner, 5x NF Swords, 1x Psycannon, MC Hammer
780pts (3x)10man GK Strike Squad: 2xPsycannon; Rhino

Heavy Support:
270pts 2x Dreadnought: 2x Twin-linked Autocannon’s, Psybolt Ammo

Total:
2000pts

I am tossing this around for a 2K tourny build....debating if its worth it to keep the purifiers and if I shouldn't take Psyk Master 3 on the Librarian and grab Warp Rift.... Any ideas?

Smotku
04-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Very nice list. What I suggest are only possible tweaks.

I wouldnt give an incinorator to a bs 6 charactor and making it mc has no effect since mc allows rerolls on misses and you cant miss with an incinerator.

Instead I would give the librarian 2 more powers, ones that can be cast in your turn.

Are all the termie models going to walk or deep strike? if so maybe get some servo skulls to aid in deep striking

think about making the transport for the purifiers a razorback since you have 6. twin link hbolters with psyammo is more effective than it seems.

Other than that I think this is a very solid list.

Denied
04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
So the play plan is basically to have the terminators with the librarian and the GM sit behind the Rhino wall if you will.

Against an assault army have the rhinos grab some cover and cast shrouding to give them a 3+ cover save. Then shoot shoot shoot tell the line is in CC and then charge them with the Terminators

Against a shooting army charge everything forward and Smoke+ Shrouding again for the 3+ saves. Then Shoot and Charge in with everything.

Actually if I am not mistaken Master Crafting an Incinerator actually allows you to reroll on wound rolls.

I am against Razorbacks with this army build simply because you get the ability with Rhinos to shoot with two of your models and Psycannons are amazing! as well with the Rhino you can attempt to repair if immobilized and it's 5pts cheaper then the Razorback.

The thing I am really debating is dropping the Empryean brain mines off the GM and giving the Librarian another two powers (Warp Rift and ???)

I want to keep the purifiers too because against a blob army even a 6 man squad is devastating.

Smotku
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
I see what you mean about the razorbacks.

and after reading about brainmines they dont seem worth it

Warprift is fantastic with auto pen. I think I would take might of titan as the othe one. I would avoid vortex and Dark Excomm is too opponent specific. the others have usefullness though.

I read Mastercrafted in the codex and I dont see where it gives rerolls to wound unless it is wrtten someplace else. Twin linking template weapons usually gives rerolls to wound.

I aggree Purifiers are a must. Maybe more if you can.

KingStuart
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Brain mine should definitely go, anything they are effective against your going to force weapon away before they strike anyway. I'd add might of Titan and Quicksilver in their place. I also quite like warp rift but personally would prefer those two.

Denied
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Smotku: I believe the Master Crafted template thing is listed in the Core Rule book.

Yeah the Brain mines were just there because I had 10 pts floating around and didn't know were to drop it for now.

I am thinking Might of the Titan's and Warp Rift.... yeah ... Warp Rift for sure.... MotT is nice too.... unless I want to drop Psybolt on a Rhino...... Quicksilver could be worth it too ....

I would love to beef up the purifiers as well but since they are going to spend most of their time behaving like a GKSS then there is no reason to spend the extra points to make them a beefier unit when I could just have the small squad for utility purposes and max out the number of GKSS I have.

DarkLink
04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Mastercrafting template weapons does absolutely nothing. 5pts saved.

Never take a Librarian with less than 4 powers. Always, always take Shrouding, Sanctuary and 2 of the other powers, at least. I recommend Warp Rift, the Quickening and Might of Titans. The Summoning is optional, as is Vortex. Don't bother with Dark Excommunication or Smite, they suck.

Edit: Normally, purifiers do one of two things. Either they're a min squad with 2 psycannons (so don't take any other upgrades at all) in either a Rhino or Razorback (I'd take a Rhino so you can hide and shoot).

Or, they're a GKSS unit that is quite a bit more potent in CC. Make your frontline out of GKSS, then have a unit of Purifiers to back them up as a counter assault unit when the time comes. In this case take 10 guys and lots of Halberds, and at most 2 psycannons for the anti-tank.

Denied
04-27-2011, 12:30 PM
HQ:
220pt Grey Knight Grand Master: Incinerator, MC NFS, psychotroke, rad, blind grenades
175pts Librarian: Shrouding, Sanctuary, Warp Rift, Might of the Titans, Quicksilver

Elite:
220pts 6man Purifiers: 2xPsycannons, 3x Halbreds , MC Hammer; Rhino

Troop:
335pts 7man Terminators: Brotherhood Banner, 5x NF Swords, 1x Psycannon, MC Hammer
780pts (3x)10man GK Strike Squad: 2xPsycannon; Rhino

Heavy Support:
270pts 2x Dreadnought: 2x Twin-linked Autocannon’s, Psybolt Ammo

Total:
2000pts

So looks like this may be my final list time to get some play testing in and see how she handles I will let you all know how it goes.

DarkLink
04-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Looks pretty good to try out. The only thing I'd do is trade the Halberds and MC Hammer on the Purifiers for Hammers on the GKSS. A 6-man Purifier unit isn't much of a CC unit, and your frontline GKSS dudes will probably see more combat.

Ghost of War
05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I would love to face that list with my 2k Eldar list.

Ducks in a barrel.. and that Libby? Spam them powers.. and have fun.

DarkLink
05-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I've never really got why people think Eldar are so uber against the new GKs. GK shooting consists of the best weapons in the game for killing all forms of eldar vehicles, barring only IG Hydras. GKs outshoot eldar, and while it is true that the farseer does a good job of shutting down the Librarian you need to understand that no GK army truly relies on their psychic powers to function.

Not that you can't beat GKs with Eldar, but it's far from a one sided matchup.

Denied
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I foresee a lot of "you want to cast that power let me roll my psy interrupt" back and forth between them.
Remember the Psychic Hood can cancel psychic powers too :-P

Update:

Played the list this weekend and although I played like aids and fail the list did nicely. I just need to learn how to utilize it for everything it offers. Going forward in local competitions I think this will be my preferred list.

The main downsides to it so far is obviously low model count and low number of scoring units (4total) unless I decided to add additional ones with my Grand Strategy.

Positives though it eats up shooters if I am doing it right (and I wasn't :-P ). Fortitude is awesome to have on all the vehicles as demonstrated during play testing. As well as the Psyfilemen Dreads .... I think when I build the models for them I will buy the very pretty Forgeworld dread models since they are beasts!!

DarkLink
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Psyrifle dreads are so good that I can't bring myself to try out Dreadknights.

Major Shultz
05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Howdy!
I think this is it.

2,000 pt Grey Knights
HQ
220 Grandmaster, Psycannon
Troops
450 10x Terminators, 2x Psycannon
270 10x GKSS, 2x Psycannon, DH, Rhino
270 10x GKSS, 2x Psycannon, DH, Rhino
260 10x GKSS, 2x Psycannon, Rhino
260 10x GKSS, 2x Psycannon, Rhino
Heavy
135 PsyRifle Dreadnought
135 PsyRifle Dreadnought

GM can give 1d3 units: Scout, Make the dreads scoring units, or reroll 1's to wound.
I can keep them together and Deep Strike the GM and the Termies. 5 scoring units!
Or split up into combat squads.10 scoring units!
Dreads just shoot and kill.:eek:
thanks.....fire away.:rolleyes:

Denied
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
The problem there Shultz is you loose the Psy powers from the librarian as well as the psychic hood negate (sure it doesn't hit all the time or even 50% of the time but when it does its a blessing)

Also you severally weaken yourself against blob army like Ork Boys squads of blob IG without at least one small purifier unit. The amount of damage a single purifier unit can unleash on a blob army is amazing!

a larger Terminator army is nice but they are gonna be foot slogging the entire time and its a waste imo.

Yes this solves the number of scoring units issue but you weaken yourself in several other ways.

I like the list I have so far.

DarkLink
05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Neither Libarians nor Purifiers are auto-include units, especially when you have access to Reinforced Aegis, 40 Storm Bolters and 11 Psycannons.