PDA

View Full Version : How to kit out a Hive Tyrant?

Son of Guilliman
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
well, I am a recent convert to tyranidism, and have been running a tyrant in my list to moderate success. I always take him with 3 tyrant Guard w/ lash whips, and often an attached tyranid prime w/ a deathspitter and LW/BS. I typically run my Tyrant with a LW/BS, TL Devourers, and Old Adversary, giving him Armored Shell and regeneration when the points permit. My question is, is there a better armament loadout in y'all's opinion? I am wantin to paint him, but dont want to start till i have him the way I want him

Hive Mind
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
You have success with Hive Tyrants? Kudos.

Tynskel
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I am a fan of guard with lash whips.

Defiler Class:
The tyrant has 1 set of Devourers, Psychic Scream, Leech Essence, Thorax Swarm Shredder Shard Beetles, Bone Sword/Lash Whip, Old Adversary, and Hive Commander.
If point to spare, acid blood and miasma.

Three guns a turn + kick butt in CC.

wait? Someone doesn't like tyrants? I have always kicked butt with them. Every opponent I have fought freaks out over it.

Hive Mind
04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
The only time I've had anything even approaching success with a Tyrant is with two pairs of scything talons, wings and a screening unit of ten gargoyles.

Tynskel
04-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I set up as close as possible to the enemy. Being part of the guard, they get easy cover saves. I run the first 3 turns (as does most of my army) usually. It at first sounds counter intuitive, but rounds 4-6 pay off. Once you are in the middle of your opponent, Psychic Scream starts to actually kill things left n' right. Plus, this allows you shoot anything and charge any unit you want, afterward.

I do use a fair amount of Hormogaunts.

Son of Guilliman
04-26-2011, 06:19 PM
I do use a fair amount of Hormogaunts.

i do as well, i like to run 2 squads of 16, give em AG/TS and just bum rush em up the field. they are so fast, that is what made me fall in love with em.

Tynskel
04-26-2011, 06:38 PM
my dirty little secret is 3 sky-slasher swarm bases with AG and TS. They hang behind the tyrant, and charge whatever the tyrant is after. 69 points for 15 attacks that strike 'first' (lash whips from the tyrant squad) with Poison, Str 4, and re-roll to hit. After combat, they can screen the tyrant (swarms screen squads).

If someone shoots them, meh! 69 points! Whatever!

Lemt
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
my dirty little secret is 3 sky-slasher swarm bases with AG and TS. They hang behind the tyrant, and charge whatever the tyrant is after. 69 points for 15 attacks that strike 'first' (lash whips from the tyrant squad) with Poison, Str 4, and re-roll to hit. After combat, they can screen the tyrant (swarms screen squads).

If someone shoots them, meh! 69 points! Whatever!

You could also run 10 Gargoyles with Toxin Sacs. 1 more point, but it's 20 attacks on the charge. Sure, they won't re-roll to wound agast T4+, but blinding poison sort of makes up for it (specially if the Tyrant has Old Adversary). In exchange, you are also less vulnerable to S6+ weapons.

Tynskel
04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
true. I do that as well. However, I use gargoyles paired with other harassing units, like genestealers, not to mention, I like to take at least 15. What I like about the rippers is that they are somewhat difficult to kill, unless your opponent dedicates significant strength firepower. The 3+ cover saves help a lot.

Son of Guilliman
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
hrmm, those are some pretty sweet ideas, Tynskel, what makes you prefer the shreddershard beetles over the others?

The Dave
05-09-2011, 04:23 AM
I am a fan of guard with lash whips.

Defiler Class:
The tyrant has 1 set of Devourers, Psychic Scream, Leech Essence, Thorax Swarm Shredder Shard Beetles, Bone Sword/Lash Whip, Old Adversary, and Hive Commander.
If point to spare, acid blood and miasma.

Three guns a turn + kick butt in CC.

wait? Someone doesn't like tyrants? I have always kicked butt with them. Every opponent I have fought freaks out over it.
Cool build! Though, a Monstrous Creature can only fire two weapons per turn....
Otherwise I like it! How many Tyrant Guard with it, and I'm assuming Lash whips on them?

Cyberscape7
05-09-2011, 07:16 AM
This is a 2 part post.
1) Does anyone know if the new Tyrant (whenever it does come out) has plastic wings as part of the kit?

2) Haven't gotten a tyrant yet but I'm planning on kitting it out with wings and then... something. I can't really decide what will be more worthwhile; talons or TL devs? Any thoughts people?

The Dave
05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
This is a 2 part post.
1) Does anyone know if the new Tyrant (whenever it does come out) has plastic wings as part of the kit?

2) Haven't gotten a tyrant yet but I'm planning on kitting it out with wings and then... something. I can't really decide what will be more worthwhile; talons or TL devs? Any thoughts people?

1. The rumors so far are that the plastic Tyrant will not come with wings. Don't worry though, you can buy Balrog wings from Games Workshop for $10 (click here to see them). Nice huh?

2. Adrenal Glands and 2x Pairs of Scything Talons, or Lash Whip & Bonesword and Heavy Venom Cannon. (These are just my opinions, but they work for me quite well. :D)

somerandomdude
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Cool build! Though, a Monstrous Creature can only fire two weapons per turn....
Otherwise I like it! How many Tyrant Guard with it, and I'm assuming Lash whips on them?

Thorax Swarms are fired in addition to the normal allotment of weapons.

The Dave
05-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Oh snap lol. Just read it! Nice.

TheRise
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
When I was playing my Dark Eldar I had real problems with the Tyrant with a Lash Whip, but before he assaulted me he used Paroxysm. That was very nasty. I1 WS1 BS1.
But i found a way to stop this in the next game. Gave my Haemonculus the Crucible of Malediction, he was gone!
Hive Tyrant with wings is also something else good.
but when i play i don't realy liek them, and if you want them to be effective they become fairly expensive. I personaly like the Swarmlord, out of all of the Tyranid HQ's.

CrimsonTurkey
05-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Just thinking, psychic scream plus the -1LD broodlord ability might be a particularly nasty combo... hmmm....

Lemt
05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Just thinking, psychic scream plus the -1LD broodlord ability might be a particularly nasty combo... hmmm....

Afraid not. Psychic Scream is used during your shooting phase. The Broodlord's Aura of Despair is used during your assault phase, AFTER you used Psychic Scream. So they don't work together.

Cavematt
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Tynskel, I think you have it wrong about three guns. Walkers can fire all weapons, but monsterous creatures can only fire two a shooting phase unless I'm mistaken.

And... I should read all the posts before I reply. I'm repeating what others have said.

DariusMacab
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Tynskel, I think you have it wrong about three guns. Walkers can fire all weapons, but monsterous creatures can only fire two a shooting phase unless I'm mistaken.

And... I should read all the posts before I reply. I'm repeating what others have said.

A touch of irony with your humility sir.

DM

juliusb
03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Wings and glands. Distraction, misdirection etc. I try to use cover to keep him alive for a couple of turns while everyone else gets in position. Also use as a counter-assault thread and synapse bubble on the back lines depending on opponent. Not great but versatile if I don't try to make him a hero...

dragonkain
03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I've actually had a lot of luck with a Flyrant running with a squad of Shrikes and Raveners to screen him. Its rather fun to watch the opponents scrabble to bring fire on him and the two Trygon Primes that show up. I take
Old Adversary if I can afford it usually. I've toyed with the idea of a thorax swarm, and Shreddershard are nice for the rending effect for sure, but I have a hard time passing up the mobility that wings give me, as well as the option to deep strike him behind the enemy lines and throw down that well placed Psychic Scream or Paroxysm that brings the enemy to their knees. He does draw a lot of fire that he has to compensate with alone, since there are no Guard with him, but the twin Trygon Primes are usually enough to force my enemy to divide fire and get him safely tucked into CC.

astrocometer
03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Personally i prefer wings, pair of bone-swords and a pair of sything talons, ususly works for m :)

muggins
03-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I like mine with 2x scything talons and wings, but that is because why my Forge World flying tyrant came with. The build ain't the greatest. I don't think they're worth taking unless they have guards but I do anyway.

Senger285
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
I take LW/BS, TL Devourer, Armored shell, old adversary, Hive commander, leach essence and paraxsym. Also run 2 guards.

Chaos Minion
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Tyrants have always been tricky to fully take advantage of all the benefits they offer. Whether supporting, close combat or shooty, they can ,ake or break an army all together. Here's a couple different roles I've used with varying success.

Support tyrant
Tyrant w/wings, Paroxym, Leech Essence, Talons x2, and Old adversary.
This is my primary build for my Tyrant, he's used in conjunction with Tervigons and termagants. Giving Prefered Enemy to all the the spawn with the Tervigons poison, this has made short work of some incredibly tough units.

Shooty Tyrant
Tyrant w/ 2 Guards, LW/BS, HVC, Leech Essence, Paroxym, Armored Shell.
I've rarely used this build for it is dependant upon knowing you opponents army and them taking light vehicles. His primary duty is poping transports and allowing your swarms of units "chow down" on the inards. Simple and straight forward, and he's no slouch in combat either.

Close Combat Tyrant
Tyrant w/ pair of Boneswords x2 (or Talons x2), Psychic Scream, Leeach Essence, Hive Commander, Wings, Acid Blood or use the Swarm Lord
Using this guy requires using the reserves game. By limiting your opponents ability to bring him down in Shooting. This Tyrant is used in 'Nidzilla lists, usually in pairs.

Hope this helps, I've had varying degrees of success with them. If you know what your facing then you'll have a better chance of building your Tyrants to defeat your opponent.

Transgressor
03-22-2012, 11:24 AM
I normally run mine on foot with 1 set of TL Devourers and Sword/Whip for weapons and then old advesary to support my termagant swarms. Always keep a conga line of them near him so long as 1 of them is within 6 inches you get a nasty suprise for anyone assaulting the blobs, especially with tervigons providing counterattack. This combo works really nice against other assaulty armies but it's rather slow and strugles to keep up if you have to run across the board to get to a shooty army (and practially useless against DE).

jb50c
03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Just curious...how are you guys screening him if he is an MC?

Mr_E
03-23-2012, 07:45 AM
The only time I've had anything even approaching success with a Tyrant is with two pairs of scything talons, wings and a screening unit of ten gargoyles.

This right here.

Occasionally, if I run a walking tyrant, I give him lw/bs and a venom cannon. I find the devourers are the anti-thesis of what I want from him. Most of the fight he's standing around with his guard (with lash whips) and shooting long range or throwing his psychic powers at ****. I don't give him regen, but I do give him leech essence and armored shell. If he gets into CC, I want him to STAY in CC. It means less **** is shooting at him and I can usually counter-charge with something else like a prime and his pipe-hittin' buddies. He's just not a deathstar. He's too expensive and vulnerable to being a useable deathstar except in suicide missions where he's got the quoted equipment and a bunch of bodies in between him and a powerfist.

Also, if you're going to do devourers because thats your fancy, do two pairs or not at all. He's either got to be able to just poop wounds on stuff or have something to hold off the assault, but trying to do both reduces his over-all effectiveness.

jb50c
03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
This right here.

Occasionally, if I run a walking tyrant, I give him lw/bs and a venom cannon. I find the devourers are the anti-thesis of what I want from him. Most of the fight he's standing around with his guard (with lash whips) and shooting long range or throwing his psychic powers at ****. I don't give him regen, but I do give him leech essence and armored shell. If he gets into CC, I want him to STAY in CC. It means less **** is shooting at him and I can usually counter-charge with something else like a prime and his pipe-hittin' buddies. He's just not a deathstar. He's too expensive and vulnerable to being a useable deathstar except in suicide missions where he's got the quoted equipment and a bunch of bodies in between him and a powerfist.

Also, if you're going to do devourers because thats your fancy, do two pairs or not at all. He's either got to be able to just poop wounds on stuff or have something to hold off the assault, but trying to do both reduces his over-all effectiveness.

Not sure if you were responding to me, but since he's an MC can you really block 50% of the tyrant model with Gargoyles?

Ziac45
03-23-2012, 05:11 PM
I haven't used a tyrant many times but when I do I go with Wings, Bonesword Lashwhip and Scytals. He gets their quickly and works well with the rest of my army. Half the time he gets shot to pieces but when they do that they have left the Trygons on either flank alone, and when he isn't shot down he holds my center and can fly wherever he is needed quickly.

Ghoulio
03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Not sure if you were responding to me, but since he's an MC can you really block 50% of the tyrant model with Gargoyles?

If it is a walking Tyrant its pretty easy to block him with Gargoyles. Also, if he has Tyrant Guard (even one) then you can get cover from literally anything (gants, etc.) as 50% of the unit is in cover so the whole units receives a 4+ Cover Save.

Urza8188
03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I havent done the gargoyle screen myself but its kind of common knowledge that you can use em to screen MCs due to the elevated bodies and the large wing span. It is refered to commonly as a "gargoyle screen".

I never knew the thorax swarms could be used in addition to 2 other ranged attacks! Thats awesome!:eek: I will start reworking my tyrants and test IMMIDIATELY!