PDA

View Full Version : Squad Idea Help

Astral Platypus
04-26-2011, 09:39 AM
In a recent local tournament I took a squad of Space Wolf Wolf Guard terminators with a cyclone launcher, two combi plasmas, and a power fist for a total of 215 points. I had Logan Grimnar in my army so they were a fourth troop choice. Obviously, the squad was a disappointment, hence this thread. I usually take 3-4 troop squads in my army and I am looking for a way to use a squad of terminators in this fashion. This squad was intended to factor into my battle plans as an auxiliary objective holder and all around unit, hence the power weapons, fist, heavy weapon, and plasma guns. I am looking for something I can use in this fashion for somewhere between 200 - 240 points. Any ideas?

I'm already using two squads of Grey Hunters and a squad of assault load-out terminators in this army.

BlindGunn
04-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Maybe if we know how the Wolf Guard failed you? What happened?

Probably the biggest weakness of the unit you described is that Terminators are expensive and have limited numbers. They really need to walk into the middle of a Close Combat fight to protect them from instant-killing shooting weapons as well as over-whelming rapid fire weapons.

(My Tau Firewarriors ganged up this weekend and had 3 squads of 10 Firewarriors destroy 3 squads of 5-man Grey Knight Terminator Squads this weekend. 60 shots (with Markerlights improving ballistics) is an awlful lot of saves for 5 men to take...)

Might be you need to drop a couple of terminators and increase the unit numbers by mixing the armor-types? Or just charge them into Close Combat ASAP, forgoing the shooting?

blackarmchair
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
This.

+ Wolf Guard Terminators [255]
- 1x Wolf Guard Terminator with Heavy Flamer & Chainfist
- 2x Wolf Guard Terminator with Combi-Plasma & Powerfist
- 2x Wolf Guard Terminator with Wolf Claw & Storm Shield

You could switch combi-plasma for melta if you like but I prefer plasma. I run this squad from time to time and it doesn't disappoint.

Astral Platypus
04-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks. I have acquired about 25 terminators with bits to model them just about any way I want and it gets old having to leave all those nice unit possibilities on the shelf every game