PDA

View Full Version : Assembling the Phantom Titan!

Ghost of War
04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey wondering if anyone else is stumbling through this like me. I am stumped on the tiny little arms they sent me. They socket to an elbow and there is no more than a dimes width in which I am supposed to find a good ring magnet and dowel system. I will be damned if I fuse the arms on this thing. I want to ensure I can swap out for a heat lance.. tremor canon etc etc.

Is anyone else working on this? I want to know how you are working the arms on your phantom.

Currently my friend and I are working on getting a custom magnet design from amazingmagnets.

Any help would rock :)

Lane
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Try http://www.kjmagnetics.com

They have magnets as thin as 1/32" in any diameters.
The holding force is more dependent on surface area than thickness so a thin magnet on each part should hold well.

fuzzbuket
04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
how about lots ov small magnets? if it is ball/socket how about

using 5 magnets on the ball and 5 on the socket
so rather than 1 big magnet how about several little magnets?!

Regnir
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Try http://www.kjmagnetics.com

They have magnets as thin as 1/32" in any diameters.
The holding force is more dependent on surface area than thickness so a thin magnet on each part should hold well.

I'm the friend mentioned by the OP.

Magnet thickness does not matter. What matters in this case is surface diameter. THis is made difficult by several factors:

1) The elbow is a separate bit from the upper/lower arms. It would be permanently attached to the upper arm. This elbow bit is not very large(a bit bigger than a dime, the OP is being conservative.

2) The lower arm/weapons are very long and very heavy. In order to mount them pointing forward, there will need to be some sort of pin mounted in addition to the magnet, otherwise given small magnet size, gravity will most assuredly drag the weapon downward. If we could get away with using the discs that I used on my Reaver arms, we would. Unfortunately that isn't an option.

Since there isn't a lot of space to mount a magnet with a lot of surface area. We're currently looking at a ring magnet with a 1/8" hole that has a total diameter of around 3/8". 1/2" might work, the problem with going much larger than 3/8" is that you're boring away more resin, weakening the magnet/elbow join.

They really could have made the arms a little thicker, IMO.