PDA

View Full Version : Scatter Dice & Directionality

BHound1981
04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Ok, I thought I'd put this out there as I've been a part of a number of games recently where the directionality of a scatter die comes into debate. Most veteran gamers will know to throw the scatter die near the target they are attempting to hit as to help alleviate any discrepancies with the direction of a scatter.

However, there are times where the random bouncing die ends up far enough away from the intended target and is not showing the little target for a direct hit. This combined with the scatter distance seems to lead to a debate over where to re-place the template on the battlefield. I've seen some measurements taken almost 45 degrees off from where the arrow on the die is actually pointing to either make the template weapon miss completely or hit more models depending on what side of the barrage the player happens to be on. An argument will soon erupt over the direction of the scatter and everyone gets upset.

Nobody wants to see this happen, and nobody likes to be on either end of this argument. What I'd like to see is if anyone has determined a good solution for determining parallel lines when trying to account for scatter. I've seen some ideas that work, some that don't. What I'd love to see is a solid solution that takes the player/human perspective out of the equation.

Yes, this may seem like a simple thing where players can just mutually agree on a blast site. In my observations this is sadly not the case, especially the higher the stakes from the outcome of the scatter roll.

Denzark
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I tend to ask the opponent to place the template when it scatters. Mostly they are fair. When I get a direct hit I place the template myself, and shout 'BOOM! How d'ya like them apples!'

This keeps us all honest.

Lerra
04-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I play Daemons and this is a constant argument, especially if there is any chance of a mishap result. It can be hard to accurately determine scatter when you're looking at it from a bad angle, too. Most of the time when someone is off by 45 degrees or more, I'll ask them to come around to my side of the table and try measuring again, and that will often clear it up.

The best solution would be for 40k to switch to Warmachine's method of scatter, imo, as unrealistic as that may be. In Warmachine, there is a round template with the numbers 1 through 6 on it. You roll a die and the template scatters in one of those directions. It's handy because you don't need to use any special die, you can roll the die wherever you want, and any 3rd party can walk up and tell you exactly where the template is supposed to land.

gcsmith
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
scatters ok, tho maybe u could have a scatter arrow mounted on a pin so u spin it :) and u only scatter if you miss ur miss roll :)
making templates more accurate weapons like they should be :)

Lemt
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Use one of those wheel-with-an-arrow thingies. You know, there's a wheel, you place it where you want to deploy, and you spin the arrow really fast. When it stops, that's your scatter direction.

BHound1981
04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Hah - I didn't think about using a spinning wheel - that's pretty funny actually.

Gotthammer
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I use one of these (http://www.litkoaero.com/products/5-inch-Elevated-Circular-Area-Effect-Template.html) and roll the dice on top of it. Since it's got distance marked on it for a small scatter it's very helpful. Also good for multiple blasts.

Wolfshade
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Of course, you could always calculate the angle using trigonometry. Then use a protractor use this to measure the angle to the nearest degree :D

Hive Mind
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
We always set up a Vassal board exactly the same as the board we're using and use the digital Scatter Die.

wkz
04-25-2011, 08:44 PM
What our group sometimes do is this:

- get 2 tape measures (or an extra ruler)
- stretch one out over the displaced scatter dice. You now have a big something to gauge the direction of the scatter.
- stretch the other over the unit, trying to match the direction of the first.

As the direction is now indicated by something that's quite big (as opposed to a small arrow on a small dice), it should be much easier to "transfer" the correct scatter direction over to the affected unit...

doomicon
04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Total noob here, playing about 6 months. That said, what our noob group has done is when it's unclear (ie scatter die bouncing away, in terrain)...

Use a piece of string. We simply stretch the string out about 18" and line it up right on the scatter die, so it cuts right down the middle of the arrow.

Judging the correct angle on that little thing is tough, judging the angle when it's represented by an 18" piece of string is ALOT easier.

Tynskel
04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Total noob here, playing about 6 months. That said, what our noob group has done is when it's unclear (ie scatter die bouncing away, in terrain)...

Use a piece of string. We simply stretch the string out about 18" and line it up right on the scatter die, so it cuts right down the middle of the arrow.

Judging the correct angle on that little thing is tough, judging the angle when it's represented by an 18" piece of string is ALOT easier.

smart thinking.

Xas
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
we make it easy.

every scatter die ending up further than 12" away from the center of scatter (template hole/initial model DSing) has to be rerolled regardless of miss or hit.