PDA

View Full Version : The inabiltiy of putting ideas to the page

Renegade
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
OK, so this is nothing new, but what to do when you have loads of ideas for 'your' armies fluff, but every time you sit to write it down... nothing... cant even find the motivation. :(

I have a chunk of my IG stuff written up, but its all unfinished.

What to do?

Haven't done any of the art yet either....:rolleyes:

DarkLink
04-24-2011, 04:33 PM
I wrote a GK story once, just for fun, but that's something I like to do occasionally in my spare time (meaning when I'm bored in my large GE lecture hall classes). I posted it here, somewhere.

Renegade
04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Cheers, but how do sit yourself down to write it up and get on with it? Everytime I go to get on with it I find myself here or doing something else... :/

Grailkeeper
04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Mark Twain used to have his servants lock him naked into a room with nothing but pen and paper. This may not work if you post from your local library

Renegade
04-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't think thats going to work.... unless your suggesting that I use hand writing!? What a novel idea!

Brass Scorpion
04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
every time you sit to right it down... nothing.There's one problem right there. "Right" it down? Really?

Morgan Darkstar
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
There's one problem right there. "Right" it down? Really?

Do you not mean Weally? :D

Emerald Rose Widow
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Often times I find carrying a notebook around so that at random lulls when you are out and about, you just write ideas down, jot notes, or even just write for the sake of writing. Its a great way to pass time if your at the doctors, or before a meeting, or similar situations when your not at your computer but you have nothing to do. Of course its a little harder for some then others, I have the benefit of carrying a purse around so keeping a notebook is easy, but yo ucan get one of those pocket notebooks if your a guy and just carry it around in another pocket that your wallet isnt occupying.

Just some ideas.

scadugenga
04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Renegade:

If you're getting stuck trying to write about one topic (EG, your Guard) try switching tacks and writing about something different. Usually getting stuck means you're over-focusing on your subject matter.

Hell, if you don't have another topic you can think to write about, just start doing stream-of-consciousness writing--even if it's just SoC writing about how much you hate writer's block.

You should find that as you get more into the rhythm of putting words down on paper (or a comp screen) that you can flow back into your subject matter and move forward with your original project.

Hope that helps.

wkz
04-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Some writers walk around with a "random ideas" notebook, where they jot down random ideas which hit them. When it comes to the actual writing, they simply take those ideas, chain them together so it makes sense, bulk it up with filler, and ta-da! Competed work.

Why don't you try that?

Renegade
04-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Cheers guys, will try and put some of these ideas to use.

mordiano
04-25-2011, 08:09 AM
this is what I do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_writing

...and in writing up a recent campaign... :Making a (detailed) map of the world where events take place just seem to suggest what the next event in the story will be

cheers

DarkLink
04-25-2011, 09:25 AM
And really the biggest thing is just turning off your computer, picking up paper and pencil and sitting on your couch doing nothing else for a while. Schedule dedicated writing time, and just write stuff down, even if initially you can't find your muse or something. You can copy it to a computer later.

Or if you really need the computer, turn off the internet. You might need to call Al Gore about this.

Mobynick
04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Renegade take heart every writter gets blocks from time to time. Plan stuff out so you know what your guys do...print up a battle cry and pin it near your computer. At the risk of sounding totally mad...daydream Place yourself on a battle field with your army...you scream your battle cry...Death to the false....opps... For the Emperor!!! Now are you charging your enemy or shooting them. How many are there of you and them...who are your foes. What does the battle field look like, smell like, sound like. Once you are clear in your head how your army looks and behaves then your muse will play ball. I sleep with a exercise book beside my bed as I tend to find inspiration as I'm nodding off.

Always always write down your thoughts as they hit you. If you wait till you are at home in front of the computer you will go blank and your great idea will have long disappeared into the ether.

DarkLink
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Right. No writer should be suffering from a lack of ideas. More experienced writers (like here on writing excuses (http://www.writingexcuses.com/)podcast) complain about having too many ideas to fit into one story.