PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knight mecha 1750

the jeske
04-23-2011, 04:16 PM
So I have been playing NM builds since the chaos dex came out , only because they were a bit different then normal chaos builds , but with each new dex all of them got worse and worse . But as GK water builds always had more or less the same game play , I decided to go for a crow puri build .

crow

5x5 man Purifier squad, 2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer, 2 Halberds Psybolt ammo in Razorbacks with Psybolt ammo
3 xrifleman
vindicare
What I am thinking about now is droping hammers and halabards from 3 squads and get more shoty squads . most of the time not more then 3-4 squads end up in hth anyway and those upgrades on the squads in the second line tend to get wasted .

DarkLink
04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Drop the psybolt ammo on the squads, it's not worth it. You need to have an 8+ sized unit to justify the cost.

I would also consider Rhinos instead. 5 man squads are too fragile to leave out in the open if you don't have bigger targets for your opponent to shoot at, and Razorbacks don't have fire ports.

I would consolidate maybe two of the squads together and keep the hammer in that larger squad, and use them as assault units as needed. Then drop the rest of the hammers and get a few more bodies.

Crowe
Vindicare
3 Rifleman
10 Purifiers, Hammer, Halberds, 2 Psycannons Rhino
4x 5 Purifiers, 2 Psycannons, Rhino

Keep the 10 purifiers behind your wall of normal purifiers. Move forward turn 1, then shoot out the tops of your Rhinos. Let your opponent's assault units hit your little guys, then counter assault with the larger unit and/or Crowe.

the jeske
04-24-2011, 02:34 AM
I dont sit in transport I maximize the number of shots per turn turning myself in to gunline list[that can move ] . I dont think I need more or jucier targets for my opponents , that does make sense when one runs a hth or short range list or when there are key units to list surivial . OK the vindicar is going to be focused on , but it is going to be the first thing countered no matter what kind of a GK set up I would run .

And rhinos give me nothing compering to the razorbacks, am not going short range and I wont be moving on objectives till turn 2-3 . Razorbacks mean I am shoting more , puting more wounds on meq/teq poping mecha transports faster and puting more wounds faster on horde .
What would I do with rhino put a wall turn one and smoke and then what back padle ? I would also have problems in kill point missions , rhinos and razors die the same way but razors kill stuff back rhinos do nothing .

I also dont understand the counter assault thing. First of all crow will be alone so If I put him forward he will be dead and even against a non meq army my 10 purfire will look at 3x4 meq squads it would just die in a turn without tar piting stuff [or worse it would and rob me of targets to shot at] .

I have been thinking about ammo too, but in the end I left it in the list because of bikes/pms and the abilty to do something to AV10-11 transports.

DarkLink
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
The counter assault thing is because your opponent will be coming to you most of the time. You aren't a CC list, so anything less shooty than you are will probably move forward to try and club you on the head. They'll assault your front units, and you counter assault with the 10 Purifiers and Crowe. If you position your Rhino/Razorbacks well, they'll lose their momentum and you can break a sizeable portion of their army.

And, yeah, you absolutely move forward then backpedal. You have a fragile but very shooty army, with a relatively short range on most of your units. Your psycannons will have to be far forward enough to engage the enemy early, but then move back as they come to you because you likely won't have the firepower to kill them in one or two turns. Grey Knights have been doing this since their original codex came out.

Don't dismiss Rhinos, either. Just because you're losing a few str 6 shots doesn't mean you're going to start losing every killpoints mission. Rhinos have several distinct advantages over Razorbacks, firepoints being the most notable. Protecting your units that matter, your Purifiers, while being able to move and shoot, is an extremely valuable ability that you completely lose with Razorbacks.

Now, you can go either way with Gks. We don't need to hide in our transports like most other MSU armies. My suggestion of taking a consolidated, larger unit with more bodies is just a way of countering some of the disadvantages of the typical razorback spam list. Your original list works just fine, so if you prefer it then go ahead.

bonedale
04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure the razorback spam is really working in 40k. People seem to look at them as efficient, but I see them as rhinos with 1 big gun, and a squad inside at half strength already. They seem to be failing BA, and SWs have tried but gone back to the rhino and 10 man units.

I'm a big believer in 10man units can't you tell. I am also a believer, that at the end of the game, it will come down to assault more times than not, and a 5 man unit that got shot up, will fall easily.

And Dark is right, the new Dex changes little in GK tactics. Move forward, draw assault enemies in, then fall back for one more round of shooty goodness. Nothing better than watching an opponent stall in the kill zone. The only difference is now we have the ability to clean house at will, as apposed to hoping for a turn 5 end.