PDA

View Full Version : Land Raider Plasma Array.

MaltonNecromancer
04-23-2011, 07:22 AM
I have been mulling over the idea of a soped-up version of the Land Raider Crusader for use in Apocalypse games, but want to avoid the usual thing of "Just make it as damaging as possible".

My idea is, in essence, a Land Raider Crusader designed to assault heavy infantry, rather than standard infantry, as per the regular Crusader. It switches out the Hurricane Bolters for a Plasma Array; essentially a set of three sets of twin-linked Plasma Guns. I'd put the points cost up by 75, but keep the transport capacity the same. It should basically tear into Terminators and the like like a petrol-powered chainsaw through a newborn puppy who only wants his mother's love.

Now, a regular Crusader has the clear advantage of being able to fire all it's guns whenever it moves, what with Hurricane Bolters being str 4. This Land Raider would lose that capability, which I feel is No Bad Thing.

What do people think? Is this a case of grotesque cheese waiting to happen, or an interesting variation on a theme?

BlackKnight15624
04-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Got a name for it- the Land Raider 'Sunshine' :-)

I think it's an interesting variation on the theme- though that many plasma weapons on a single chassis would inevitably lead to cooling issues unless you had some sort of extra refrigeration unit inside (that would reduce the LR's capacity from 16 down to 10 or 12, say).

My thinking here is that the Sunshine would already use up all the space that the Crusader would use for ammunition, but in addition would require extra space to make sure it doesn't cook its weapons off.

If you reduced carrying capacity, you wouldn't have to bump up the cost so much either- probably 50 points rather than 75.

Just a thought, and a very rough one at that.

lobster-overlord
04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
I like it. Land Raider Supernova (less cutsy than Sunshine, but same idea). I agree on carrying capacity. the extra stuff would take up the space that the TWLCs would use, so same level as a regular LR would be good.

Would the Assault Cannon stay, or would there be a different gun for that (I'm thinking plasma cannon from Demo)

John M.

Morgan Darkstar
04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Twin Linked plasma cannon plus plasma array, transport capacity 10.

Call it the "Land Raider Nova*"

* more punchy than Supernova

Storm Seer
04-23-2011, 09:50 AM
I like the name Land Raider Nova.

Instead of banks of plasma guns, why not put a plasma executioner on each sponson?

MaltonNecromancer
04-23-2011, 10:37 AM
My thinking here is that the Sunshine would already use up all the space that the Crusader would use for ammunition, but in addition would require extra space to make sure it doesn't cook its weapons off.

If you reduced carrying capacity, you wouldn't have to bump up the cost so much either- probably 50 points rather than 75.

True; but the idea is that it's an IFV, so the transport capacity is key. I'd rather institute a rule that stated it could only fire it's plasma array every other turn (meaning you primarily use the Assault Cannon while you move in to position, then annihilate everything with nuclear death, before disgorging a squad of THSS Terminators to mop up). As it stands, though, I don't see any problem with just jacking up the points massively; it can be a superweapon, but it's not supposed to be; it's meant to be much more limited than that.

Would the Assault Cannon stay, or would there be a different gun for that (I'm thinking plasma cannon from Demo)

Yup. It'd keep the Assault Cannon, because it's essentially a modified Crusader; no need for additional plasma madness.

Instead of banks of plasma guns, why not put a plasma executioner on each sponson?

Because the idea is to keep it comparable to a Crusader; honking bloody great Executioner Cannon are not comparable! :) Where are my troops going to fit when you've filled my tank with giant deuterium power flasks?! :D

All of that aside, six plasma templates isn't remotely the same as six plasma gun shots. A Crusader is basically the APC version of the Land Raider, exchanging heavy firepower for troop transport capacity. So Hurricane Bolters are supposed to be light support firepower, not a superweapon. Same here; the idea is that at 12"-24", it's pretty good, but up close in that 0"-12" assault range, it's just horrific. It's not supposed to be a main battle tank, it's supposed to be an infantry fighting vehicle equipped to take on heavy infantry, rather than the light infantry the Crusader deals with. Sticking huge great guns on the side doesn't really make it anything other than a fairly standard Land Raider. Plus, I like the aesthetic of lots of little guns, rather than two huge ones. Finally, the phrase "plasma array" sounds awesome.

Land Raider Nova.

We could call it the "Novacaine", because it instantly sends your enemies to sleep? :)

I'd go with something like Diabolus. "Supernova" and "Sunshine" are a little too happy sounding for my taste.

SotonShades
04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
I like the concept, and I like Nova as a name. Maybe to keep the transport capacity and get over the problems of it requiring more cooling, add a rule similar to overheat? The Terminus Ultra all ready has a similar extra rule for all its lascannons... roll too many 1's (maybe 4 or 6?) to hit and you can't shoot the plasma array next turn, even using PoTMS. And/Or if you roll over a certain higher number, possibly 10, 1's to hit then you suffer a weapon destroyed on one of the arrays.

Tynskel
04-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I am thinking that this should be restricted to Dark Angels and their descendants.

Turner
04-23-2011, 08:47 PM
A great man once told me this, I bestow his great wisdom upon you.

"In the universe that is 40k... one can never have to much plasma."

Heed his words gentlemen, heed them.

SeattleDV8
04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Especially plasma that does not 'get hot'.

Paul
04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Once the design for this is completed, my Logicians chapter would like a progressive plasma-based Land Raider design...

if you're willing to share.

<Praise be to the Omnissiah>
<DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS ref. Logos Arcturus, Tech-Father ++LOGICIANS CHAPTER++>

The secondary armament will no longer be able to engage the enemy on the move. This is enough of a disadvantage that no plasma overheat is required.

The addition of a pintle mounted Plasma Cannon rather than Multimelta would be fitting, as our Devastators possess both in ample numbers.

If both suggestions are rejected, then replacement of Assault Cannon armament with Plasma Cannons (twin-linked, Executioner, or otherwise) would be recommended instead of Hurricane Bolter subsystems if only to maintain a high speed on the battlefield.

<Omnissiah Vult>

wkz
04-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Note: Calling it "Nova" is sorta using Imperial naming guidelines (Nova cannon, anyone?), but there are also other naming precedents you can take; the Stormblade (plasma-based Baneblade) and Leman Russ Executioner comes to mind.

Culven
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
In regard to the cooling system / transport capacity issue, why not reduce the number of weapons in each sponson and add some additional cooling equipment in the mounts? Also, I would think that leaving them as single weapons instead of being twin-linked would be a balanced way of representing the weapons overheating and straining the cooling system without actually trying to come up with some Gets Hot equivalent for the vehicle.

If this variant carried three Plasma guns in each sponson, the standard Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, and a Pintle Multi-Melta with a transport capacity of 10, I think that the standard points cost might be fine. The offensive power of three Plasmaguns in each sponson weapon system is balanced by the fact that the vehicle has no defensive weapons and will need to use PotMS to fire both sponsons as well as the fact that each shot has a 33% chance of missing.

SeattleDV8
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM
You're still going to average two hits per sponson.
If you dropped it to 2 twin-linked plasma guns per sponson you would drop that avg. to 1.78 hits .
Still a scary thing to face without being too overpowering.