PDA

View Full Version : 2k grey knights for tourney

Sinistermind
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
so i got a 2k tournament coming up in may, and its not including soft scores(paint,etc...) so i see this as the perfect opprotunity to bring out my new unpainted grey knights!!!

im a HUGE fan of purifiers but i prefer just taking the grandmaster i was gunna take anyways and using his grand strategy to make them score instead of taking crowe, i also think there better off in rhino's thanks to psycannons, and then when they reach CC i decide depending on surrounding battles whether or not to remove the psycannons first in combat to retain halberds

HQ
grand master 205
--- sword
---rad grenades, psychotroke grenades

ELITES

10 purifiers 324
---2 psycannons
---7 halberds, 1 mastercrafted hammer
rhino

10 purifiers 324
---2 psycannons
---7 halberds, 1 mastercrafted hammer
rhino

vindicare 145

TROOPS
5 grey knights 150
---1 psycannon
rhino

5 grey knights 150
---1 psycannon
rhino

7 terminators 310
---1 master crafted hammer, 1 banner, 5 halberds

HEAVY SUPPORT
landraider crusader 255

rifle dread 135
---psybolt ammo

1998pts

everything is pretty straight forward, GM with grenades goes with termies in crusader,i have strike squads incase the opponent merits some warp-quake action, vindicare and rifle dread take out most threatening armour until rhinos/psycannons are in range

debating taking out a strike squad and a single termy and getting a libby to put in there for psyker defense(i do expect other gk's/eldar)/buffs....but i dont wanna take out ANOTHER support unit to add more to a unit running 770 pts between IC/unit/transport

DarkLink
04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Take Blind Grenades on the GM if you can find the points, not a big deal though. And you're right, don't bother with the Librarian. Between the Librarian and GM, it's one or the other. They're too expensive to take both in even 2000pt games.

Overall the list looks good, I just want to point out that you shouldn't just stick the Termies in the Crusader and charge them forward automatically. GKs are not an assault army, so charging forward isn't always the best idea. If you are facing someone who is going to come to you ('nidz/orks), use your storm bolters and counter assault with them.

Sonikgav
04-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Personally i dont like Mastercrafting on your bigger units.

If you fail a perils test your Justicar, the one loaded with the extra points, is the one that takes the hit and removed first if you mess up casting Hammerhand or turning on your forceweapons etc.

Personally id be dropping all the Mastercrafted, and maybe even one Terminator and taking advantage of the Purifiers ability to take more Psycannons. It may reduce your combat effectiveness slightly but the amount of Firepower they put out turn them from 'needing to reach combat' to 'valid threat in all situations'. Not to mention it gives you tactical options with Combat Squadding. 2 Equal units or 1 Firebase and 1 Assault Unit etc.

Denied
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
I would suggest combining the two GK squads you have into one, I have decided in play testing that the small squads is never a good idea and over all if you want you can always Combat Squad the unit if the situation arises.

Also yeah I agree max our the Psycannons on the Purifiers its just silly not to have that added fire power. I mean you will inevitably get to CC but try to soften it up as much as you can with psycannons before you do.

Also IMO MC Incinerator on the GK Grand Master it is awesome!!! I disagree with the statement of not MC items on justicars and so on I think its very much so worth it. I would also Master Craft the sword on the GK Grand Master as well but that's just me. I do love the 3+ Invo save you get on the Grandmaster from having the sword though. I mean whats not to love about a 2+/ 3+ save :-D

Sinistermind
04-22-2011, 01:40 PM
thanks for all the tips, i just may combine those two strike squads, or maybe throw in a 5 man interceptor squad with psycannon for a last minute objective contestor

and yea i like have the sword on the GM, i was thinking about MC'ing it too it just adds some survivabliity to a gkt squad, (sigh thinking about lack of storm shields)

Sonikgav
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Combine the Strike Squads, the 40 you save from only taking 1 Rhino = 4 More Psycannons on your Purifiers :). Easy done.

Since you have 2 Points spare id stick a couple of Searchlights on. Maybe the Crusader since it can take a hit or the Dread simply because in competitive play you Will at one point encounter night fighting and if you can light up a couple of targets for your Vinidcare and Psyfleman to go at nice and early it can help.

Denied
04-25-2011, 09:41 AM
So I play tested a list like this over the weekend and I have a few suggestions if your open for them:

Firstly drop your purifier count down; they are nice and the Psycannons are amazing to max out; but the point cost is insane especially if your just rolling around in a Rhino. I mean over all its best to have one squad of like 6 purifiers for when you inevitably run up against a blob army (orks IG).

Secondly increase the strike squad count; they are cheap and you can deck out a Rhino with a full squad and two Psycannons which rocks! They can easily wreck some heavy CC units if they get to sit in a rhino blasting them for several rounds before the unit even gets to the squad.

Third Drop the LRC all together; keep the terminators they are very nice especially with a GM, maybe throw a Psycannon in there so they have at least one strong shooting unit and keep them back in cover guarding your Rhinos that way when a true assult army finally gets to the Rhinos they are heavily weakened and your terminators can rip them a new one.

Fourth with the extra points I would drop the Vindicare and grab another of the psy rifledreads they are very VERY awesome and cheap as far as the point cost goes. The Vindicare is nice but in a game I played he got beaten to death by a Vet squad that departed on top of him from a Valk and that just SUCKED. Lastly I would probably grab a Librarian and give it shrouding and sanctuary this way you can give your Rhinos stealth which brings them up to a 3+ cover save :-D and you can add some additional annoyance to an assault armies trying to charge your Terminator squad with Sanctuary.

This was at least MY experience and probably going to be how I end up running the GK for the future. I am anticipating seeing how this list actually fares in the long run.

DarkLink
04-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, no GK units should be "just rolling around in a Rhino". We're not Space Marines. We can jump out and move and shoot psycannons and storm bolters to great effect. Rhinos are just for turns when we need to move fast or need a bit of extra protection.

Denied
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Agreed and with Purifiers they are gonna spend most of their time behaving just like a GK Strike squad unless your fighting a blob army so why not just have more GK Strike squads for cheaper and STILL have a squad of purifiers for those extra special situations.

With what I am gonna end up doing with my build you end up with 3x 10 man GK strike squads with 2 psycannons in Rhinos and a 6 man purifier with 2 Psycannons in a Rhino.

Playing against an assault army sit in the Rhinos behind some nice cover and have the Terminators (With GM and Librarian) behind the rhinos, get the Librarian to cast Shrouding on everything and enjoy your 3+ cover saves while you blast the opponents army as it has to travel to you. Then rip into it with the Terminators.

If you play a shooting army with weak CC then charge forward with everything Smoke + Shroud Rhinos, shoot like mad with the Psy Rifles Dreads and on second turn charge into their units eating them up with GK, Purifiers, and Terminators.

It's a good build and with tweaking it can be great I think.

jorz192
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Would psy ammo be a good upgrade for him?

DarkLink
04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
The GM? If you don't have anything else at all to spend those 5pts on, sure. There are a lot of other 5pt upgrades you'll want to get first, though.

jorz192
04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
The GM? If you don't have anything else at all to spend those 5pts on, sure. There are a lot of other 5pt upgrades you'll want to get first, though.

I mean combining his strike squads into one unit and giving them psyammo. He wouldn't need two rhinos anymore and that would free up 20 points.

There really aren't very many bodies in this army and your purifiers are eating up a ton of points.

If you don't intend on making combat squads with the purifiers then you can take two out of each unit and drop the psycannons and add psyammo. Use the extra points from combining the strike squads into one unit and give the strike squad and both purifier units psyammo and have 106 points left over.

You can use the extra points to add too another unit or sacrifice one of your support units for a different more expensive unit.

DarkLink
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Ah. That is an option, but you'd only be saving 20 points and you'd be losing one vehicle chassis. Four Rhinos are pretty easy to kill, and three even moreso. Psybolts are nice, but I think you get more from target saturation in this case then you would with the extra damage output.

Sonikgav
04-26-2011, 04:23 AM
I think that Psybolts on the infantry units are the GK equivalent of fools gold. The idea of massed S5 appears to be awesome but consider how much better Stormbolters are than the average infantry standard issue from other armies then i think their just surplus. I would never recommend dropping Psycannons just to put +1 strength on the rest of the unit. On Vehicles Psybolts are good, on Autocannons theyre awesome. Hell they turn Assault Cannons into Psycannons.

The only way id consider them for infantry would be if i took a 10man strike squad with no special weapon ugrades at all. A full 20 S5 shots might be worth it.

bonedale
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
First, I like the list.

I like the land raider. Most people go for more boring list these days.

Your purifiers are perfect in my opinion. Keep them fat and happy, and no, not more psycannons in them.

I would playtest as is, and see if those GKSS can actually do anything at that size.

What I would do is, remove one of the GKSS squads, and make a 5 man purifier squad with two psycannons to shoot out the the rhino. Then take away two psycannons from one of your 10 man units, so they are pure cc. They will hand with your termie LR for support.

Tynskel
04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
if you go up against any horde army, S5 weapons are gold.