PDA

View Full Version : 30k the Movie

Grailkeeper
04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
The greatest story in the entire 40k universe is Horus's Rebellion against the Emperor. I Doubt It'll ever be made into a film capable of doing it justice. BUT IF IT WERE who would you like to see play the main roles?

Emperor, Primarchs, the sigilite, Abaddon etc... Who would you like to play these parts?

gcsmith
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Jim carey as horus, sorry but i think jim carey would make the mad version cool :)

Mystery.Shadow
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
When I saw the subject "30k the Movie" I was thinking, is this a prequel?

isotope99
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
The Rock as Horus

Sorry, I've been watching the scorpion king recently.

They'll never do the horus heresy as a movie. The story is all back to front and doesn't translate to a movie version at all, plus your hero character is the emperor who doesn't show up until right at the end.

The only way I can see it working is to combine the Loken and Garro characters (which the fans won't like but they feel practically the same in the books) and have him promoted to the emperor's bodyguard so that he goes into the final battle too.

DarkLink
04-18-2011, 03:40 PM
You've never seen Memento, have you.

DrLove42
04-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Well Chuck Norris/Kiefer Sutherland is the emporer. Obviously

And why do I want Alan Rickman as Horus?

Grailkeeper
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Because of his awesome voice.

Liam Neeson as Malcador

wittdooley
04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
I'll cast the Primarchs that I can:

Fulgrim - Jason Issacs (think with the blonde hair from the potter movies) I think he's perfect, and he fits the part with that sinister and arrogant look about him.

Lion el'Jonson - Sean Bean --- He has a very knightly look about him.

Corax - Alan Rickman I think, aside from the physicality of the role, he'd be perfect (again think potter hair)

Lorgar - Billy Zane or Arnold Vosloo I can see either of them being a crazy *** zealot

Konrad Curze - Mark Strong; Again, creepy as hell. Great voice.

Rogal Dorn - Has to be Ed Harris, right?

Janghati Khan - You'd be crazy not to cast Danny Trejo and yes, I realize he's not asian, so I don't think Ken Watanabe would be bad choice either.

Mortarian - Vin Diesel. Wait, let me explain. Mortarion would be damn near completely covered up anyway. We're looking for a voice for him. Listen to Vin do the Iron Giant voice and we've got a winner.

Leman Russ - A hard one, because you need that Bestial nature while maintaining his nobility. Not that I'm typecasting here or anything, but Chris Hemsworth would make a good Russ.

Robute Gulliman - I think George Clooney would fit the bill fairly well. He's noble looking enough.

Malcador the Sigilite - I think John Hurt would be wonderful.

Here are some actors I'd love to find in the movie, but didn't really know where to put them: Ray Stevenson, Daniel Craig, Leo DiCaprio (I really think he'd hit it out of the park if he were an inquisitor), Christoph Waltz (he played a ****, that's basically an inquisitor).

So there you have it.

JxKxR
04-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I think Laurence Fishburne as Magnus the Red would be pretty cool.

isotope99
04-18-2011, 05:57 PM
You've never seen Memento, have you.

I have and I really like it.

I take your point and I thnk that the final HH book might be told this way (coming in 2020 :p) showing key moments in the horus emperor relationship. See the last Malus Darkblade book.

However, I think its a little too sophisticated a plot device for a mainstream film about space marines and the only way to get a sufficient budget to do it properly is with wider appeal outside the hobby.

Morgan Darkstar
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Olando Bloom as pretty boy Sanguinius?
Michael Clarke Duncan as Vulkan?

david5th
04-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Tom hardy has got to be in there somewhere.

DrLove42
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
After seeing Tron Legacy again....Jeff Bridges has to be in there somewhere...he'd make a really good Emperor...

Gotthammer
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Dave Mustaine as the Lion - he's got the hair for it, has acted in sci-fi before (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNIABdqBxY), was genetically engineered in a lab and was raised by wolverines. Can't get a better fit than that.

Morgan Darkstar
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
*wrong thread oops*

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
People, wouldn't the guy playing Thor be a good actor to play Leman Russ :L?

Morgan Darkstar
04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Anthony Hopkins as the emperor
Cristopher Lee as Malcador the Sigalite

DrLove42
04-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Not feral enough. Or wolfy...

wittdooley
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Yeah, thats who I mentioned in my post.

He's hard to cast because you really want someone with very canine features, while maintaining some regality.

Morgan Darkstar
04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Stephen Lang as Abbadon probably to old

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
04-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah, thats who I mentioned in my post.

He's hard to cast because you really want someone with very canine features, while maintaining some regality.

Ahhh awesome, when I looked at a picture of the actor he had short hair :L. But yeah I like that idea.

I reckon Morgan Freeman should be in it... Somewhere O.o

Skragger
04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
I had this exact conversation with some of my friends back when we all thought Ultramarines was going to be cool (so.. before we saw it). We came to this conclusion:

While the Horus Heresy is pretty swanky story full of extra win time. Its a bit too long and convoluted. So either they'd need to cut a lot out of it, and probably upset a lot of people that way, or make it into a huge Lord of the Rings style super epic, which would be too expensive for a film with a niche audience.

We figured, if GW had to make a Warhammer 40,000 movie, the best thing would be the first Eisenhorn book. Its so well written, has lots of fluff/plot/character development (for people like me who crave that in movies), and it also has a ton of action/bolter pr0n (for everyone else). Get some super grizzled foo like Heston, or Bridges to play Eisenhorn, and you're off to the races! :D

wittdooley
04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
How about John Malkovich as Eisenhorn? I mean, perfect right?!?

Skragger
04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
How about John Malkovich as Eisenhorn? I mean, perfect right?!?

Brilliance! I can see it now!

Eldred
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I've talked about this with a few people before and once I've said the name and they look back on it they all seem to agree John Lithgow as Horus. He's got the ability to play all sorts or ranges from the loyal loving servant of the emperor to the sociopath that Horus becomes.

If you haven't seen the last season of Dexter with Lithgow as the protagonist your missing out.

JxKxR
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I've talked about this with a few people before and once I've said the name and they look back on it they all seem to agree John Lithgow as Horus. He's got the ability to play all sorts or ranges from the loyal loving servant of the emperor to the sociopath that Horus becomes.

If you haven't seen the last season of Dexter with Lithgow as the protagonist your missing out.

WINNER!!! I would have never thought of him for any 40K movie but now that you've said it I totally agree!:D

p.s. I love Lithgow and seeing him play that psycho definitely gave me new respect for him.

HsojVvad
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I had this exact conversation with some of my friends back when we all thought Ultramarines was going to be cool (so.. before we saw it). We came to this conclusion:

While the Horus Heresy is pretty swanky story full of extra win time. Its a bit too long and convoluted. So either they'd need to cut a lot out of it, and probably upset a lot of people that way, or make it into a huge Lord of the Rings style super epic, which would be too expensive for a film with a niche audience.

We figured, if GW had to make a Warhammer 40,000 movie, the best thing would be the first Eisenhorn book. Its so well written, has lots of fluff/plot/character development (for people like me who crave that in movies), and it also has a ton of action/bolter pr0n (for everyone else). Get some super grizzled foo like Heston, or Bridges to play Eisenhorn, and you're off to the races! :D

Science Fiction is suppose to be a Niche Audience. Titanic is suppose to be a nich audience. Get James Cameroon to do it. Yes he will put in a love story, but he will also make it amazing. So a 3 parter is dooable, annd would make lots of money because James Cameroon knows how to make a Block Buster.

GW would be stupid to turn down the billions he would make them. Then again, GW said no thank you to Star Craft and we all see the millions if not billions they have lost there.

JxKxR
04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I think they could do one, three hour long movie of the Horus Heresy if they cut out a lot of the fighting but I wouldn't be cool with that.

Honestly I think if they did the Ultramarines fighting off the Tyranids on Macrage that would be the 40K movie to do.

The Lyzer
04-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Leman russ: that guy who plays william wallace childhood friend in the braveheart movie would fit perfectly, cant remeber his name.

Horus Lupercal: Sam Worthington or maybe Michael Rosenbaum

Malcador the Sigilite : Ian Murray McKellen

Grailkeeper
04-20-2011, 07:39 PM
John Rhys-Davies (aka Gimli) maybe as russ? Daniel Craig would be a good Dorn, Denzel washington as Vulkan.

and on 40k Characters- After watching gran Torino I insist on Clint Eastwoood playing Yarrick.

Clint East wood would make a great director for It I think.

dethangel
04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
i think the sheer scope of the horus heresy is to grand for one movie. to do it justice it would have to be a trilogy. in keeping with the 30k theme i think the Fall of Caliban would make an excellent movie. the right hand of the emperor, the 1st legion, returning from many long years of the crusades, to there home world. only to find the coruption and betrail of there younger brothers. so great, the stain on there honor, that the dark angels in a titanic battle, destroy there homeworld leaving only the DA fortress floating in the void of space and a secret quest too restore the honor of the former legion.
i think director john carpenter could play up the evils of chaos and make it a really dark SiFi/horror movie out of it. if it were successful then go for a more ambitous three part horus heresy.

Skragger
04-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Science Fiction is suppose to be a Niche Audience. Titanic is suppose to be a nich audience. Get James Cameroon to do it. Yes he will put in a love story, but he will also make it amazing. So a 3 parter is dooable, annd would make lots of money because James Cameroon knows how to make a Block Buster.

GW would be stupid to turn down the billions he would make them. Then again, GW said no thank you to Star Craft and we all see the millions if not billions they have lost there.

Oh dear gods no.. keep him as far away as possible! He'll use all special effects and skimp out on the story. He'd find a way to make every character completely hateable, and believe me, he'd cartwheel off topic and find a way to incorporate the story from Pochahonatas (or Fern Gully) into the plot as well. Please.. keep him as far as possible from this!

Its a story about the warmaster's character development, and we need a director who would be able to show his development in a way we can relate. NOT a director who will slack off on the story and wow us with pretty lights!

HATE THAT MAN!

voodooflux
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but I'd like to see the Horus Heresy given the Zack Snyder treatment, with a screenplay by Abnett, McNeill, et al.

Always kinda thought that a grizzled Jason Statham would play a good Space Marine too. Again, I suspect I am in a minority here :o

Skragger
04-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but I'd like to see the Horus Heresy given the Zack Snyder treatment, with a screenplay by Abnett, McNeill, et al.

Always kinda thought that a grizzled Jason Statham would play a good Space Marine too. Again, I suspect I am in a minority here :o

Dont forget that Abnett did the screenplay for Ultramarines *shudder*. I could see Statham being a marine, but only if he's driving a land speeder!

Grailkeeper
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Jason Statham- The emperor is Turkish, and Jason Stathams character from snatch was called turkish, Coincidence...?

Skragger
04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Jason Statham- The emperor is Turkish, and Jason Stathams character from snatch was called turkish, Coincidence...?

And turkey is tastey.. and Istanbul is in turkey (and minarets are quite delectable too!).. hmmm.. my god! I think we're on to something! The emperor is really a giant roasted turkey! :D What really caused the Heresey was the debate between mashed potatoes or stuffing...

wittdooley
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Now its Istanbul, not Constantinoble....it's nobodies business but the Turks.

voodooflux
04-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Dont forget that Abnett did the screenplay for Ultramarines *shudder*. I could see Statham being a marine, but only if he's driving a land speeder!

True, but in this case he'd be screenwriting from the novels which would hopefully set him on a truer path. Tell ya what, forget him, get Joss Whedon to do the screenplay instead :)

HsojVvad
04-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Oh dear gods no.. keep him as far away as possible! He'll use all special effects and skimp out on the story. He'd find a way to make every character completely hateable, and believe me, he'd cartwheel off topic and find a way to incorporate the story from Pochahonatas (or Fern Gully) into the plot as well. Please.. keep him as far as possible from this!

Its a story about the warmaster's character development, and we need a director who would be able to show his development in a way we can relate. NOT a director who will slack off on the story and wow us with pretty lights!

HATE THAT MAN!

At least we would be assured of sequalles then since it would make GW so much more money, only good could come out of it if GW gets more money.

Skragger
04-21-2011, 07:00 PM
At least we would be assured of sequalles then since it would make GW so much more money, only good could come out of it if GW gets more money.

Thats true! Maybe we could see a reduction in prices? Haha.. I see getting a better WH40K movie before that ever happens...

Joss Whedon could do a very fine job, as long as he sticks away from his fetish of having teen girls in every movie he does

voodooflux
04-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Thats true! Maybe we could see a reduction in prices? Haha..

I admire your optimism ;)