PDA

View Full Version : Teleporters!

eldargal
04-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Sort of: (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110415/tsc-scientists-make-teleportation-breakt-98fda55.html)

Boffins* from Japan and Australia have made a huge scientific breakthrough by successfully teleporting packets of light from one area to another.
The mind-bending project, led by Noriyuki Lee at the University of Tokyo, could lead to the creation of super-powerful quantum computers and revolutionise the telecommunications industry

*None of whom died, to Mon Mothmas relief.

Hive Mind
04-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I thought that this had been achieved years ago?

eldargal
04-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Last time I heard they thought they were getting close to do doing it.

Hive Mind
04-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Hmm. I guess my GCSE science teacher was full of it then. At the risk of dating myself, he told us over twelve years ago that they'd managed to teleport atoms.

Skragger
04-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Hmm. I guess my GCSE science teacher was full of it then. At the risk of dating myself, he told us over twelve years ago that they'd managed to teleport atoms.

I have a feeling I've heard the same thing.. moved one atom from one end of a room to the other.

Dated 2004:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3811785.stm

eldargal
04-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Ha, well either Yahoo news made a mistake or there is something new about this new breakthrough.:rolleyes:

DarkLink
04-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I think they knew how to teleport particles, so teleporting atoms is one step up. I can't find anything that references earlier experiments with a quick google search, though.

And it's "many bothans died bringing us this data";)

Morgan Darkstar
04-16-2011, 06:42 PM
The Reason this is a breakthrough is less to do with the teleportation of matter. more the teleportation of information at incredible speed over possibly vast distances. It also opens the door for quantum computing.

Grailkeeper
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Teleporting light across a room?

Sounds like a Chemical Brothers Gig.

eldargal
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I know, but boffins souns similar and it amuses me.:p ForgeWorld used the pun too a while back.

I think they knew how to teleport particles, so teleporting atoms is one step up. I can't find anything that references earlier experiments with a quick google search, though.

And it's "many bothans died bringing us this data";)

Farseer Uthiliesh
04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
The Reason this a breakthrough is less to do with the teleportation of matter. more the teleportation of information at incredible speed over possibly vast distances. It also opens the door for quantum computing.

Spot on; it's about using Quantum Entanglement to transmit information instantly.

Drew da Destroya
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Psh, until they can teleport a man across a room and accidentally splice him with a fly to make some form of horrific offense against nature, I'm not interested.

On a related note, I hadn't heard this before, and it sounds pretty awesome! Just wait until the Xbox Quantum.

DarkLink
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, who needs to get cussed out by a bunch of illiterate 12 year olds over live when you could teleport to their mom's basement so they can throw stuff at you, too.

Drew da Destroya
04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Until you show up in that basement, you don't know if they're 12 or not.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/1/schrodinger.png

DarkLink
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the fact that the average age of the gamer is well into adulthood makes the whole issue pretty pathetic.

Drew da Destroya
04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeeaaahhh... there's a reason I tend to stay off of Live.

Oddly enough, Starcraft 2's userbase isn't too bad as a whole. You get the occasional douche, but for the most part people are pretty tame. I think it's because you can't actually yell at your opponent, and typing is hard.

Hyperion
04-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Sort of: (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110415/tsc-scientists-make-teleportation-breakt-98fda55.html)

*None of whom died, to Mon Mothmas relief.

"I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg."

Douglas Adams: way ahead of the curve

Psychosplodge
05-18-2011, 03:37 PM

I have the feeling I heard this about photons around that sort of time

Cyberscape7
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm not a big fan of teleportation. Now the technology used in Portal, thats something I'd like to use :)