PDA

View Full Version : Guard 1750 (no mech:)

Slug
04-16-2011, 04:24 AM
So this is a base for 1750, I’m not quite sure what to add though, tempted by manticores, but I don't really like the idea of it siting around for 2 turns not being able to fire. Otherwise potentially a few more squads either scattered throughout he two platoons or in the form of another identical platoon minus one autocannon squad. I also might add in a storm trooper squad, maybe just to contest enemy objectives or get a good grip on any of my own objectives. the idea of this army is a large weight of fire form the 60 guardsmen, with the autocannons either focusing on transports or heavy infantry / monstrous creatures, the Medusa's plus lasconnons can deal with either termies or any heavy tanks, though my one rules question is if you take bastion breachers can you still fire regular shots.
hq
company command squad company command squad 50
troops
platoon 1 platoon command squad 30
infantry squad 50
infantry squad 50
infantry squad 50
heavy weapons squad 3x lascannon 105
heavy weapons squad 3x autocannon 75
platoon 2 platoon command squad 30
infantry squad 50
infantry squad 50
infantry squad 50
heavy weapons squad 3x lascannon 105
heavy support
ordinance battery 3x medusa bastion breacher 420
shells
Adding another platoon minus one autocannon squad leaves me with 50 points spare at 1750, whilst I could otherwise add 2 squads of 10 storm troopers, with 60 points to spare, or 2 manticores with 70 points left over.

Nungunz
04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
No guns in the CCS, PCS, or line squads? I don't get get it, thats a lot of potential firepower that's being wasted. What's your reasoning there, because to me that is a complete waste 9 squads.

I'd also unsquadron the Medusas. Can fire at more targets that way.

Slug
04-17-2011, 06:01 PM
The advantage of leaving heavy weapons in dedicated squads is just that A, you can give them a cover save with your inf squads, and B, you don't have to target an inf squad at a tank where only the one las cannon can actually do anything, this way three lascannons, or autocannons can target a specific vehicle or squad without inf wasting their shots, this saves potentially three squads worth of lasgun shots when using the three lascannons to take out a tank,and considering it takes about 4 lascannons to reliably get a glancing hit or better on av 13 having them groped like that means each heavy weapons squad has a reasonable chance of doing damage to tanks, same logic for autocannons, the only reason they feature more is that they are more reliable against av 12 or below, and can be used against inf better.
As for special weapons, the only one I really like is melta guns, but there is already plenty of anti tank, so there is no point in having suicide squads, flamers are too circumstantial as they only work against light armored hordes, grenade launchers just don't have enough impact for me, and plasma guns are too unreliable, also I don't like using command squads for anything but giving leadership, orders, and taking the occasional pot shot, so I tend not to equip them with anything but vox casters.
the medusas are only in a squadron for the list, if i take any other hs choices they stay that way, or as spread out as can be otherwise.

AngelsofDeath
04-18-2011, 05:40 AM
I have fielded a IG army of about the same make up, 2000pts, more heavy bolters and auto cannons, less Lascannons. The army had 2 problems when I played it.

First, it lacked mobility to be able to get to objectives. There was no way to make it to you opponents deployment area and grab his base in control type missions. There were chances that I was able to wipe out my opponents army and could spend 2-3 turns getting across the board, but those were rare.

Second, it was boring without any tactics needed really. You line up you guns, you pray and spray, no tactics really, just dice. When I won and looked across the table I could see that my opponent really didnt enjoy playing the game. And I really didnt enjoy it either, no thinking involved, not much excitement. I like the challange of tactics and manoeuvring and knowing that I beat my opponent with some thought, not with a big bag of dice.