PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Sons Army

blackarmchair
04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Alright, so I've been tempted by the dark gods.

After seeing the new Tomb Kings models I've been persuaded to build something I've always wanted to do: a Thousand Sons army.

Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced with Thousand Sons (nor with Chaos in general) so I'm having a difficult time organizing an effective armylist. The army needs to be fluffy but also effective, it needn't be tournament winning but I'd like to be viable and fluffy at the same time if possible.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated; thanks in advance.

Lockark
04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
What I would suggest is something alonge the lines of for 2000 points should be two 1kson Squad, two CSM squads (Mercenaries?), and 9 oblits.

(Of course spicing this up and swapping to your preference.)

The bassic idea is to use the oblit for long range shooting and the Rubric marines and CSM for mid range shooting. Rubric marines are devastating mid range, but you will need to supplement them with cheaper CSM.

It doesn't matter witch cult troops your using, this is always the truth.

All you realy need to know is:

-Don't bother with Havocs or Preds, because oblits do it better for about the same points.

-Don't give the rubric Marien's Scor's Bolt of Tzeetch. It's not as good as it looks on paper. It's expensive and you want your 1Ksons shooting at guys, not tanks. Your better off giving his Gift of Chaos in my Experience. People try to counter Rubric's with CC, Gift of Chaos helps you try and pick out the powerfists and Power weapons to help you survive.

-You play Chaos. Until we get a new book there not the most flavorful army. As 1ksons you will have to be dedicated, and open to count-as to make your army interesting to play in any way.
=/

Oh. Also forgot. Tzeetch Termies with there ++4 is basically the best chaos will ever get to Storm Shields.You can make a pretty fun CC termy squad using the mark of tzeetch.

blackarmchair
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Oblits aren't fluffy though...I could take CSM with MoT though that would make sense.

isotope99
04-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Oblits aren't fluffy though...I could take CSM with MoT though that would make sense.

As Lockark was saying, you may want to get a bit creative with the fluff to avoid getting trapped with only a few unit options.

For an obliterator, you could use a tzeentch terminator with a couple of plastic horrors on the base with him. The different oblit weapons being effectively daemonic powers.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
04-13-2011, 02:28 AM
As Lockark was saying, you may want to get a bit creative with the fluff to avoid getting trapped with only a few unit options.

For an obliterator, you could use a tzeentch terminator with a couple of plastic horrors on the base with him. The different oblit weapons being effectively daemonic powers.

Yeah agreed. Your army would look really good with something like this going on for your Obliterators :D and they're are plenty of other things like this that you can do :P. so don't worry so much about the fluff, you can make it fluffy by conversions and "Count-as"

Demonus
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
My suggestions:

- Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Warp Time, and another Power (maybe the Assault 3 shooting one). 4++ save on a MC is nice.

- Slow and Purposeful. TSons have it, so you can still shoot 24" from a rhino that moves.

- Open dem tanks! TSons excel at killing marines, or power armor save (3+) troops. They dont excel at opening up transports. Use termicide squads or Obliterators to do this for you, then shoot the gooey center!

- Tzeentch Termies. 2+/4++ guys with a decent amount of attacks and access to combi meltas? Yes please.

- Summoned Daemons. Chances are you will get into close combat at some point. TSons suck with 1 attack and no krak/frag grenades. DSing some Daemons to help in that aspect is a good plan, or errupting that Aspiring Sorceror into a G Daemon will even the odds.

- Marines Marines Marines. While TSons are 1 dimensional, Chaos marines are the best tac squad in the game. Givem MoT if you want an invuln save, or just a plain icon to deepstrike Oblits/Daemons/Termies onto

- Chosen. A squad of these infiltrated with melta guns to pop transports and an icon to deep strike on

- Chaos Lord with MoT, Daemon Weapon, Wings. While a Daemon Prince is a better leader, this guy can run with a Squad of Raptors. Fly around with melta guns and blow up transports and tanks, and let your TSons light up the occupants.

- Possessed Vindicators. Whats better than a Str 10 AP 2 large blast radius? One being fired from a vehicle that gives up 1" scatter to ignore shaken and stunned!

-Obliterators. How are they not Tzeentch friendly when they change their weapon arm each round. Isnt Tzeentch the Lord of Change? Or maybe it was Lord of the Dance...

Cheers.

Lockark
04-13-2011, 08:23 PM

If you think there unfluffy then you don't know the fluff.

Read the Fluff for the Oblits. There basically mercenaries that are so good, Chaos Warbands are willing to go to war JUST to gain there favor, just for the chance for a Chaos Lord to be able to call apon them for assistance in the future. Oblits will work for anyone, and any Chaos war-band regardless of other alliances see them as a great asset to their force.

For fluff junkies there a great unit to take in you force, since relation ship between a Chaos Lord and a Oblit Cult is that of a Give and Take, witch I feel is a very interesting idea.

Or you could do what has been suggested and make your own count-as oblits.

Also. Another tip.

Don't take Mark of Tzeetch for you CSM squads. Icon of Chaos Glory is the better choice over any of the god marks, because unlike loyalists our CSM don't have "They Shall Know No Fear". So the next best thing we can get is a re-roll-able LD. It's cheaper and it's more useful.

Trust me. After you have a Squad of CSM ran off the board from losing a CC, You will wish you had it. It is also like the oblits, something that's pretty well fluffy for everybody to use.

Just so you know:
I'm not going to sit here and tell you to take Plague Marines or anything terrible unfluffy for 1ksons. But due to the way the book has been written, you bassicly have to be open to using what was once the "Undivided" options.

=/

Other wise you end up with a VERY bland army, and one that is not very good on the table top. (IMHO a good list should be fun to play and be able to hold it's own.)

@ Demonus.

- Chosen. A squad of these infiltrated with melta guns to pop transports and an icon to deep strike on

no. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.
Just skip this entry. You pay almost twice as much over a normal CSM squad, just to have CSM that can infiltrate. Chosen are so disgustingly over priced for there infiltrate ability it isn't even funny.

Also don't bothing with DP'd Vindies. They look alot better on paper then on the table. With a short ranged cannon and a squishy Side AV11, there WAY to fragile a unit.

There are only two units in the Heavy Support you should pay attention to. Oblits and Defiliers. Oblits for long range Anti-tank, and Defiliers for Long Range Pie Plates.

blackarmchair
04-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Sounds good to me.

Though I don't think I like defilers much better. The model is so huge I can't see it surviving long.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
04-14-2011, 07:29 AM
I used to play chaos for since 3rd ed and i agree with just about everything Lockark said. The only point that i am going to make is to take maybe 2 defilers or at least one. I would give them all CC attacks and battle cannon then sit back and blast away. and if any thing gets too close they are basically fleeting dreadnoughts. chomp chomp. o and they are fairly cheap point wise

carry on

Connjurus
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
@ Demonus.

no. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.
Just skip this entry. You pay almost twice as much over a normal CSM squad, just to have CSM that can infiltrate. Chosen are so disgustingly over priced for there infiltrate ability it isn't even funny.

Herpaderp, five outflanking meltaguns is pretty cool if you use it right, bro. Also a good way to start with a champion/icon much farther up on the board for Greater Daemon Possession and Lesser Daemon summoning. If you think Chosen aren't a good unit because they're "just CSM that can infiltrate" you need to go back and read the damn entry again.

Lerra
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
What kinds of Tomb Kings models do you plan to use for this army? That might be a good place to start.

I'm drooling over the new Sphynx model, so I'm planning to mod it slightly to count as a Soul Grinder for my mono-Tzeentch daemons.

Also, keep in mind that just because a unit is not currently carrying a banner/icon of Tzeentch, that doesn't mean that they aren't dedicated to Tzeentch or can't be part of a Ksons army. You don't have to buy an icon for every squad for them to be fluffy.

Thousand Sons squads are so expensive that the biggest problem I see with those armies is low model count. The easiest way to remedy this is by adding 15-point regular old Chaos Space Marines to the list. Also decent: a squad of Havocs in a Rhino with 4 meltaguns. I know, I know: "Havocs suck." These guys are actually a pretty cheap way to add a lot of meltaguns to an army, though, as long as you have enough vehicles in the list to protect them. Oblits are better, but the OP already said he has reservations about Oblits.

Or you can go the other route and run 2 squads of MoT Terminators with 2 Land Raiders, model count be damned.

Lerra
04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Just for fun, here's what I'd run for a Tzeentch CSM army (nothing amazing but it's passable, and I like the models). I wouldn't worry too much about the rules considering CSM will be getting a new codex in a little over a year. Worry about the models and having a cool looking army, because the new codex will have a lot more depth as far as the Legions go.

2k Points:

Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime, Wings
Greater Summoned Daemon (Lord of Change)

10 CSMs with 2 Meltaguns, Champion with Powerfist, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino
10 CSMs with 2 Meltaguns, Champion with Powerfist, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino

5 Lesser Summoned Daemons (Horrors of Tzeentch)

5 Terminators with MoT, Champion, Chainfist
Dedicated Land Raider

5 Terminators with MoT, Champion, Chainfist
Dedicated Land Raider

5 Havocs with 4 meltaguns, Rhino

The Lesser Summoned Daemons give you a cheap scoring unit (65 points) that is fearless. Tzeentch CSMs can always use more scoring units. LSDs show up late in the game when your opponent doesn't have as many options to deal with them, and they can appear within 6" of the hull of any of your vehicles minus the Havocs. They can also hide out of LoS behind a Land Raider, or sit in cover and go to ground for a 3+ cover.

blackarmchair
04-15-2011, 11:42 PM
That's actually pretty damn good for a Tzeentch theme! I was tinkering with specifically Thousand Sons though...

I'm not sure what I'll do I have to keep tinkering with it. I have an Imperial Army (my wolves) an alien army (my Orks) so now I need a Chaos army. Maybe I'll break down and just do daemons...idk as I said I have to keep playing with it.

Slug
04-16-2011, 06:49 AM
I tried running a pure thousand sun list a while back just after the current dex was released.

It was effectively terminator sorcerer, 8 duel lightning claw termie champions with mark of t, a few squads of rubrics, and a small unit of possessed for the fun of it adn because the models look good. It suffered from numbers but at 1000 points it wasn't bad with jsut the possessed, rubrics and the sorcerer.

Fluff wise I said the termies were the sorceress body guard, and the possessed probably some physic accident with someone else's marines, I think I also threw in a predator, I never really got to test the full army as I gave up on discovering there were only two lighting claws for 5 termies. Maybe when I finish my latest guard army ans well as dark elves I will go back to it.