PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard 500 point list

gubooboo
04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey guys! I am relativley knew to 40k and only have 1750 points of Ultramarines and am loooking to start a guard army. Here is my 500 point list so far:

HQ
Company command squad -165 pts
power fist
medipack
vox caster
regimental standard

Troops
Squad 1- 60 pts
grenade launcher
vox caster
Squad 2- 60 pts
grenade launcher
vox caster
Heavy Weapons squad- 65 pts
autocannons

Fast Attack
Heavy Sentinel- 80 pts
lascannon
hunterkiller missle
smoke launcher

Chimera- 65 pts
heavy stubber

=500 pts

I figured that the company command squad would stay behind with the sentinel and heavy weapons and basically try to take out any armor and the command ssquad would be there for counter assault while the two infantry squads would move up (one in the chimera) and try to do as much damage as possible before dieing or taking objectives

Any suggestions:confused:

Slug
04-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Ok, in short, there are two main problems with your list. A) its not valid, platoons require a platoon command squad, and each platoon only counts as one troop choiceand chimeras don't count as a troop choice, so you need another troop choice, also that command squad only costs 115 not 165 points. B) your taking up too many points with options that aren't that useful, namely everything but the vox on the command squad, and everything but the lascannon on the sentinel.

So to fix problem A, add a platoon command squad with a vox caster for 35 points to the first platoon, then you need to add a troop choice. if you drop the options listed above, plus the chimera, you can add a platoon with a command with vox, and two squads set out as you have them. the other option is to add a veteran squad, cheaper, but you don't get as many las guns on the board that way, which is vital at 500 points.

In terms of my problems with the list in B, as I said drop the options, they take up valuable points with out giving much back, if you need the extra survivability and cc strength the medic/power fist gives you your not protecting your command squad enough, leave him behind a squad and the cover save granted will be plenty, the regimental banner should be dropped mostly because you need the points else where. drop the chimera. its to expensive, and you don't have any units tailored to ride in it, you really need to go all or nothing with mech, also it would have to be dedicated, so unless im wrong about the rules, ( I might be thinking 4th ed) only one of your command squads can ride in them (the one you bought it for in the list).

So a final list would look like this.

HQ
Company command squad - 55 points
vox caster

Troops
platton command squad - 35 points
vox caster
Squad 1- 60 pts
grenade launcher
vox caster
Squad 2- 60 pts
grenade launcher
vox caster
Heavy Weapons squad- 65 pts
autocannons

platton command squad - 35 points
vox caster
Squad 1- 60 pts
grenade launcher
vox caster
Squad 2- 60 pts
grenade launcher
vox caster

Fast Attack
Heavy Sentinel- 70 pts
lascannon
=500

Sorry if I'm being a bit negative, but there are some big problems here. My big piece of advice though is pick a theme, find what you really like about guard, for me its artillery and lots of infantry and heavy weapons, (I posted a 1750 list if you want to have a look). I'm also trying out a Catachen list with veterans, valkeries, and snipers, which i can post if you want.
And please respond back with your thoughts on my thoughts as I can explain anything better if you want and give any advice you want on a new list.

Nungunz
04-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree with Slug on a lot of his points. You need to make the list legal first as you still have zero troop choices fielded.

Though at 500 I wouldn't take any voxes at all. Those points could be spent on more guns. Also I would never leave a CCS naked. At BS4 it is very important that you give them guns as the CCS and Veterans are really the only the units that can actually aim in a guardsmen list.

gubooboo
04-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Slug: so wut ure saying is i should keep the upgrades to a minimum cuz they dont do much for guard and either choose between mech and infantry lists?

with ure suggestions i think im going to drop the sentinel and add another heavy weapons squad to the second platoon. Any suggestions as to wut i should take?

Nungunz: why no voxcasters if u can issue awesome orders from them?

Nungunz
04-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Slug: so wut ure saying is i should keep the upgrades to a minimum cuz they dont do much for guard and either choose between mech and infantry lists?[quote]

Keep unneeded upgrades to a minimum, especially at 500 points. Medpack, standard, and power fist really aren't needed and at 500 more bodies and more guns is definitely better.

[quote]with ure suggestions i think im going to drop the sentinel and add another heavy weapons squad to the second platoon. Any suggestions as to wut i should take?

Personally, I put the heavy weapons inside of infantry squads for ablative wounds, or in 20-man combined squads at max size. Squads without heavy weapons I would normally reserve for power blobs which can't be done very well at low point games.

Nungunz: why no voxcasters if u can issue awesome orders from them?

Because they're not that awesome. Yes the are nice if you get them to work, but they are hardly needed to make an army work well. In larger gunline lists they work decently enough.

Besides, nothing in that list has weapons that are worth making orders go through on. FRFSRF is okay for the lasguns....it means you might kill one more marine. But bring it down or Fire on my target? The grenade launcher isn't going to do much to a vehicle or MC and the GL and lasguns mean the enemy will most likely get their armor save over a cover save anyway.

That leaves, what? Move, Move, Move. It can be okay, but not fantastic.

Get back in the fight. This is actually decent, but if you are using this it means the guardsmen squad is probably below 50%, has already failed two leadership tests and fallen back twice (so they will be decently far behind where you want them to be), and most likely won't have a lot to contribute to a fight.

Incoming. Well, a 2+ save is nice for a unit holding objectives, but using this order literally means that you lose two turns of shooting (models won't get to shoot in this turn and the won't get to act at all in the next turn).

The 35 points you've spent can get you a lot more guns and is well over halfway to another squad or another chimera.

Nungunz
04-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I will give you 3 examples of a decent 500 points armies using both Slugs advice (he does have some good stuff there) as well as my advice. The first will be a mostly foot list, the second will be a mech list, and the third will be a hybrid. All of these lists will have my own personal flair and may not work for you, so feel free to tweak and play around. IG can build a ton of different and effective lists.

500 Points Foot List (Note, this list has a very hard time capturing objectives because of how slow it is. Generally even in a foot based list you will want to pick up a chimera or two for the PCS so you have troop choices that can move around pretty quickly. This list isn't the best, but is an example of how to be point efficient).

Infantry Squads in the platoons are combined into 20-man squads.

HQ

Company Command Squad - Autocannon - 60

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad - x4 Grenade Launchers - 50
Infantry Squad - Autocannon - 60
Infantry Squad - Autocannon - 60

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad - x4 Grenade Launchers - 50
Infantry Squad - Lascannon - 70
Infantry Squad - Lascannon - 70

Fast Attack

Scout Sentinel - Autocannon - 40
Scout Sentinel - Autocannon - 40

500 Point Mechanized List (Primaris goes with the grenade launcher squad)

HQ

Primaris Psyker - xx

Troops

Veteran Squad - x2 Meltaguns, Chimera (Multilaser/Heavy Flamer) - 145
Veteran Squad - x2 Meltaguns, Chimera (Multilaser/Heavy Flamer) - 145
Veteran Squad - x3 Grenade Launchers, Chimera (Multilaser/Heavy Flamer) - 140

500 Point Hybrid List

HQ

Company Command Squad - Autocannon - 60

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad - x4 Meltaguns, Chimera(Multilaser/Heavy Flamer) - 125