PDA

View Full Version : new player- what to make from Cadian battleforce?

ArmyRedTeam
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
A few weeks ago I bought Assault on Black Reach and got 585 pts of space marines and 450 orks. I wanted to see if I'd get into 40k and I have along with two friends of mine. Unfortunately, I'm more interested in building an Imperial Guard army than either SM or orks. I bought the IG codex a few days ago and I'll probably get the Cadian battleforce this weekend.

My question is: how would you assemble your Cadians to be competitive against both the space marines and orks from the Assault on Black Reach box?

I'm thinking I'll definitely need some plasma guns and will probably build an armored sentinel with the plasma cannon. A medic for my command squad sounds good to me but people seem heavily against medics on this board. Vox? Standard? I really don't know what to go with. Also, what heavy weapons should I build?

novatomato
04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
If you're against SMs and Orks then I would put it to you that ANY combat upgrades aside from a powerfist would end up being a waste of points unless you are taking some of the CC oriented units in your army. Storm Troopers might be a good idea here.

Thats all I can suggest, I'm not too familiar with IG or Orks all that much.

Skragger
04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Against Orks? Flamers, they're hell on earth for us orks.
Powerfists and some plasma for anti-space marine. But usually with the power armoured nuggest I find just mass lasgunning death is enough. Make them roll as many dice as possible and some of them will fail.

gubooboo
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
autocannons, grenade launchers, flamers?

Lockark
04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Well. The Imperal Gaurd Battle force is bassicly the start of a single Platoon.

The two general Ideas I have seen is Autocannon Spam and Missle Launcher Spam. You basically want to choose one or the other and spam it. Fill every Line squad and heavy weapon squad with it to drown your enemy in shots.

For line squads your best bet for a special weapon is the grenade launcher since it's the cheapest and most flexible option.

For Platton Command Squads the best load out I think is flamer spam. A heavy Flamer+ As Many Normal Flamers as you can take. It makes the Platoon Command Squad a Great counter charge unit. Since the flamer spam can just kill you threw sheer forcing Armour saves.

So it's best just to concentrate flamers there.

I suggest building a single platoon max'd out on line squads and heavy weapon squads, for your 1st troop choice.

For your 2nd troop choice I sujest a vet squad, this is wear you put your melta spam. There high BS and the fact they can carry 3 melta guns make them great at this. This gives you your 2nd troop choice.

For your HQ I suggest a Company Command Squad. Other Flamer Spam Agien, or Melta Spam. You Realy can't go wrong either way.

Hope that helps.

w7west
04-13-2011, 12:03 AM
How to win:

1. set you guys up as far back as you can. Preferably lining the actual game board in proper guard style.

2. this not only applies to your bullet magnets, but also to your vehicles. Just because you get free armor 12 everywhere doesn't mean you have to leave the safe zone.

3. there is no movement phase.

4. THERE IS NO MOVEMENT PHASE!

5. shooting phase, good game.

If this does not work, simply buy a chimera or 12. Now you are ready to win 'ard boyz!

TSINI
04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
How to win:

1. set you guys up as far back as you can. Preferably lining the actual game board in proper guard style.

2. this not only applies to your bullet magnets, but also to your vehicles. Just because you get free armor 12 everywhere doesn't mean you have to leave the safe zone.

3. there is no movement phase.

4. THERE IS NO MOVEMENT PHASE!

5. shooting phase, good game.

sounds solid to me...

my own addendum to this would be

ALWAYS MOVE THE CONSCRIPTS FORWARDS!!! but thats my own personal taste...

Nungunz
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
My question is: how would you assemble your Cadians to be competitive against both the space marines and orks from the Assault on Black Reach box?

It really depends on what kind of list you want to build. Are you looking to go Assault Mechanized, Gunline Mechanized, Airborne, Gunline Foot, Assault Foot, maybe some sort of hybrid list?

Your loadout will depend on the type of list you want to go with.

I'm thinking I'll definitely need some plasma guns and will probably build an armored sentinel with the plasma cannon. A medic for my command squad sounds good to me but people seem heavily against medics on this board. Vox? Standard? I really don't know what to go with. Also, what heavy weapons should I build?

1) Plasma guns are expensive so are best used on BS4 models (Company Command Squad, Veterans, Stormtroopers)

2) Assault Sentinels with Plasma Cannons are waaaaaaaaaay too expensive and too easy to kill for what they do. If you want sentinels I'd stick to scouts and give them multi-shot weapons.

3) Medics are pretty terrible for 30 points. Feel-no-pain on five T3 5+ models isn't very special. I'd rather just take more guns for lower cost.

4) Vox and Standard both depend on the type of list you're using. If you are mechanized or hybrid I wouldn't bother at all.

5) On the heavy weapons it's hard to go wrong with autocannons. Lascannons can be useful as well. The rest of them are a bit 'meh'. Why don't you magnetize them so you can just swap the guns out and see what works?

Lockark
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Scout Sentinels contributing to the Autocannon or Missle Spam are gold.
;)