PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Websites

KingJoe88
04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
The other day I read Strangleweb's random tips article, and one of the things he talked about was saving money buy shopping around on different sites. From your experience, are products you buy cheaper from other sites in as good condition as if you ordered straight from GW? Specifically, Dice Bucket is always advertising on the site, have you guys ordered from them? Is everything in good condition?

Also, how can independent websites afford to sell things cheaper?

Hive Mind
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
The other day I read Strangleweb's random tips article, and one of the things he talked about was saving money buy shopping around on different sites. From your experience, are products you buy cheaper from other sites in as good condition as if you ordered straight from GW? Specifically, Dice Bucket is always advertising on the site, have you guys ordered from them? Is everything in good condition?

Also, how can independent websites afford to sell things cheaper?

I don't know how they do it but I buy everything from Gifts for Geeks here in Leicester at a discount of (at least) 20% from GW prices.

Never had a single complaint about quality of the product either.

Gir
04-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I buy exclusivly from Maelstrom Games. Very cheap (with the powerful aussie dollar) and free international shipping.

lobster-overlord
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Many websites are buying from distributors rather than from GW directly due to some of the stipulations that GW gives it's trade sales stores (independant retailers). Most sites are going to be selling new, unopened product, as if it were any otehr product. Occasionally you will find something might be a tad more damaged/wear, because it has gone through three sets of hands (GW, Distributor, retailer) before getting to you, but generally, that won't be an issue.

As for Dice Bucket, their gimmick is that they open the battle forces and sell them separated into the regular box version as loose spure, thus they make more money and can pass greater savings, as long as you don't care about the item not having the box.

Just find one you like and get good service from and go from there. Most offer 20% discount, but after shipping comes out pretty even with your FLGS. If the place offers free shipping, then you're good to go. Personally, I support local stores over internet, but for bits, I'll buy online.

John M>

Darkriver
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I've ordered from Chaos Mail Order several times and love it. 20% discount with free shipping over $100 orders. Prompt shipping and delivery to Georgia. And very friendly staff when I've called to place orders.

KingJoe88
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I think I will order from one; GW's just so expensive.

As for supporting my FLGS, I would, but the store I used to go to (The one that was at the Mall of GA) closed a while back, and I haven't found another one. On that note, anyone know of an FLGS near Lawrenceville, GA?

MajorSoB
04-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Buying online is a double edged sword. Here is my reasoning...

Yes online stores offer prices are great, often with free shipping or bulk discounts. If all you are looking at is the bottom line and the most bang for your buck, by all means that is the way to go. But understand this, you are creating a problem and ultimately helping to put your FLGS out of business. Here is why. When you FLGS buys a product they roughly pay half of what it is worth from their distributor. They mark the product up to retail cost ( full or somewhat discounted) and sell it to you. They make a profit. With that profit they pay their employees, rent, taxes, heating and electricity bills, etc. These are the reasons why every week when you feel like hanging out for hours on end, playing games and buying nothing, you can do so. Don't think for one moment you are helping pay their costs by your purchases of Mountain Dew and gummy bears. They depend on retail sales to keep their doors open. Now if you are content playing in your basement and having no place to meet, then support the online stores. But understand they will never offer paint clinics, tournaments, or a place to enjoy the hobby. You my friend are stuck at home in the basement.

I have found the best thing to do is talk with your staff at your FLGS. If you purchase enough and explain your alternatives, sometimes they may offer to match your discount.

If you have no other alternative but to buy online, then do so. But if you have a local place that you enjoy, buy from them. Without your support they will become another vacant building when gamers once played.

On a side note, there are plenty of stores in the Atlanta area. Search the GW website. I just looked and found Gwinnett Games Works and Tower Gamer center right in your area. You are lucky to have stores that close. Some people drive several hours to their local store.

MaltonNecromancer
04-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Another thing to remember is that if you're buying online, always use a credit card or paypal, never a debit card. If you buy with a debit card, it means you have no financial recourse to claim your money back if the site's bogus, whereas if you buy with Paypal or Barclaycard, you can claim money back from them, and they then pursue the bogus website's owners to claim money back for themselves.

Also, never buy from a site that's just http:// on the payment page. Always make sure it starts https://

You don't want to be doing any deals over an unsecured link! :)

I buy an awful lot of stuff online (which is to say, I have no FLGS to support, so I buy everything online because a.) I detest GW's artificially inflated prices, and b.) I just can't stand going into a GW store because I don't want to have to talk to anyone.)

As a result, I know quite a lot of sites that are safe and reliable, but they're all for the UK. If you like, I can post some of the links I use.

Darkriver
04-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Phoenix Games opened up just about 2 miles down from the Mall. It is actually owned by one of the previous managers from the GW store. Much better layout.

Drew da Destroya
04-12-2011, 08:55 AM
In the US, I like TheWarStore. 20% off, $5 shipping on everything (so get more than 1-2 items, generally. Team up with friends!), and they ship pretty fast (then again, I'm in NJ, and they're in NY, so it's not a very long distance). http://www.thewarstore.com/

I'm also pretty happy with Maelstrom, who have a lot of cool extra discount-y things going on (including moneyback, which can be applied against subsequent orders), but because they're shipping from the UK, it tends to be pretty slow. http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/

Miniature Market is a new store I've been trying out... %25 off, free shipping if your order is over $75. They're out in Missouri, so shipping doesn't take too long, either. http://www.miniaturemarket.com/

Denzark
04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Let me give a +1 to Maelstrom Games - excellent service, free post and a cashback service.

Also going to show not all internet companies stick it to your FLGS, Maelstrom run their own tournaments, have tables etc at their location.

So shop around - you've got to work out, is what you get off your FLGS in terms of a place to play, worth what you would save? Buying a blister, yes. Buying hundreds of pounds worth in a year at 20% off, I doubt it - unless you are getting executive relief on the sly.

JMichael
04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I also use thewarstore.com Fast shipping (2-3 days to southern CA)
Their customer service and prices are outstanding. They also sell bits and many other games and items (I also buy my Infinity minis form them).
I tend to buy 60% online and 40% local game store (which gives 10% discount to Military). Gotta support the store I play at!
eBay can also be a great resource. Many new kits with free-low shipping and no sales tax.

Lemt
04-12-2011, 03:20 PM
+1 to Maelstrom Games.
If you like in the UK or a country nearby, it may be a bit cheaper to buy in Wayland Games. They are also good, even if they can take a bit longer to ship (I've never had to wait more than two weeks to recieve my order).

KingJoe88
04-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Again, thanks for all the info, guys! I'll have to check those sites out. And when I get the chance I'll go exploring and check out those stores :D

Many thanks!

Lockark
04-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Unless your ordering a lot of stuff at once any savings get eaten up be shipping. If you only buy one box a mouth and so order only one box by it self, it coasts the same as buying it full price from the store.

I buy from a store because I would rather "bleed out" the coast of a army over a long time. Not get it all at once.
=P

sigma
12-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for you all guys for sharing this info. As i have also purchased on line and hope all you guy use on line store for shopping.

Reseller Wholesale (http://www.nuwaveprinting.com/index.php)