PDA

View Full Version : Force Weapons= +1 power

Cyberscape7
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm putting this in because it has been said in the forums far too much. People assume that the force weapon uses up one of the powers that psychic mastery allows. Thing is it says in the BRB under force weapons that they 'confer to the wielder one additional psychic power, used in close combat' Hopefully this will clear up any confusion people have.

Hive Mind
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
I see BRB used all the time here and I get that it means the Rulebook but I can't fathom what BRB actually stands for. Help a brother out?

Black Reach Book?

Bean
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm putting this in because it has been said in the forums far too much. People assume that the force weapon uses up one of the powers that psychic mastery allows. Thing is it says in the BRB under force weapons that they 'confer to the wielder one additional psychic power, used in close combat' Hopefully this will clear up any confusion people have.

By the looks of it, you are the one who is confused. The Force Weapon does confer an additional psychic power to its wielder. It does not, however, increase the number of psychic powers its wielder can use in a turn. Using your force weapon does count towards the number of psychic powers you can use in a turn--just like casting hammerhand, or the Shrouding, or any other psychic power.

Gaining an additional psychic power means just that--gaining an additional psychic power. Grey Knight librarians, for instance, can gain all sorts of additional psychic powers by purchasing them for five points a piece--but these purchases, like the force weapon, do not increase the limit on the number of psychic powers the librarian can use per turn.

If you have mastery 1, you can use hammerhand or you can use your force weapon. You cannot do both. If you have mastery 2, you can do both, but you can't use any other psychic powers that same turn. That is how the rule works. That is how the rulebook says that the rule works. That is how the Grey Knights codex says that the rule works. This is really not unclear at all.

edit:

BRB means Big Red Book--the fifth edition core rulebook.

Hive Mind
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
edit:

Cheers.

Further to Bean's comment; p50 of the Rulebook, in the section for force weapons, reads "The normal rules for using psychic powers apply (remember that a psyker may normally only use one psychic power per turn)."

My emphasis.

ArchonPhelps
04-11-2011, 01:19 PM

I thought it stood for Big Rule Book, cool

Bean
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Big Rule Book would certainly work, too, but in 4th edition we always called it (and I always saw it called) the BBB--Big Black Book--which seems to support the Big Red Book theory.

MaltonNecromancer
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Ah. So my standard, non-upgraded, Mastery 1 squad of Strike GK's can use either Instant Death Force Weapons (to kill the Carnifex) or Hammerhand (to butcher the infantry), but not both.

Good to know. Makes the game much more strategic and keeps them from being overpowered. I like.

Soam
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
To stay on topic, yes any force weapon activation counts as a psychic power.

Now to the real reason for the post. I thought BRB stood for Basic Rule Book?

Brass Scorpion
04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
BRB = Big Red Book. The 4th Edtion Book was often referred to as the BGB for Big Grey Book. When they changed the color of the cover to red for 5th Edition, the acronym used on forums changed with it.

DarkLink
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Or Basic Rule Book. Everyone seems to use it for whatever reason, including me:rolleyes:.

Anyways, just because you have a whole bunch of powers doesn't mean that you can use them all per turn. Normally, you can use one psychic power per turn. And as the OP pointed out, activating a force weapon is psychic power, so it absolutely counts as your 'one per turn'. Some units can use more than one power, but force weapons still count towards the limit.

Drew da Destroya
04-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Remember that you can use psychic powers in your opponents turn, too, unless otherwise told not to. So you can Force Weapon after those Carnifex foolishly assault you.

fuzzbuket
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
am i the only one who thought black reach book?

Hive Mind
04-11-2011, 04:19 PM
am i the only one who thought black reach book?

Nope, Black Reach Book was my guess in the post that started this off-topic snowball.

I feel I should apologise to the OP for derailing their thread. Or maybe they should thank me since the OP is wrong anyhow.

chromedog
04-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Doesn't really matter what BRB stands for.
The rules pages are ALL the same in the black reach OR full size books.

It's the fluff and stuff section beyond that which the little book lacks.

Cyberscape7
04-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I would like to apoligise. It seems I was mistaken on the rules. Just another lesson learned I guess.
:o

Whoop!
04-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Remember that you can use psychic powers in your opponents turn, too, unless otherwise told not to. So you can Force Weapon after those Carnifex foolishly assault you.

Sorry to disagree, but it says once per turn. Thats GAME turn not PLAYER turn. You must choose very wisely!
It is also pretty limiting if you look at the activation of the PP. Unless it says you can do it during an opponents assualt phase, you can't. Force weapons trigger is an unsaved wound, not a phase like shooting or assualt, so it can be used in opponents PLAYER turn.

Am I the only one limiting my forces like this?

I think it says somewhere that anywhere it says turn it means game turn unless specifically stated.:confused:Why are they both named turns then? Why can't rules be written concisely?

I pay enough for my models, GW could buy a ****ing thesaurus!

somerandomdude
04-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I think it says somewhere that anywhere it says turn it means game turn unless specifically stated.:confused:

It's actually the exact opposite.

ST:CCG use "each turn" for your own turn, and "every turn" for each player's turn, and had nothing for "game turn". It's really tough to get a terminology that works, but the important part is sticking with whatever you get.

Sonikgav
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Ask a Chaos player. I see them Casting Warptime every turn (mine and theirs) etc and then i get some people that cast it in theirs and say it lasts all the way through etc.

DarkLink
04-13-2011, 09:33 AM
It is absolutely one power per player turn. Any and all psykers can potentially use two powers per game turn minimum, assuming they have a power that can be used in both player turns.

Skragger
04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
BRB = Big Red Book. The 4th Edtion Book was often referred to as the BGB for Big Grey Book. When they changed the color of the cover to red for 5th Edition, the acronym used on forums changed with it.

I'm still confused.. When I look at my rulebook, it is distinctly black. Red works for the WHFB book.. but I'd call it the Big Black Book, or maybe just the RB (Rule Book). I always thought BRB stood for Big Rule Book. Thats it. I'm starting a new thread!

DarkLink
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Does it really matter what an arbitrary, made up acronym stands for?

hisdudeness
04-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Does it really matter what an arbitrary, made up acronym stands for?

Yes.

Whoop!
04-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Start another link jack wagons, this one is not about the BRB (Big Racked Babes?)

All of the psychic powers in the space wolves codex state which turn they can be used, and all are NOT allowed in the other players turn. Thats just one codex, but I would assume (probably wrong for assuming) that other psychers are tied in the same way.

In the SW codex they are all shooting attacks or at the beggining of HIS (specific) turn, but those are specifically written into each psychic power. Do other Codices have anything written into theirs?

Hive Mind
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Some do, some don't.

DarkLink
04-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Not all powers specify. Hammerhand is usable in both your and your opponent's assault phase, for example.

If a power specifies when it can be used, then you can only use it then. But if it doesn't, or if you have one power to use in your phase and one to use in your opponent's, then any psyker can use 2 powers per game turn.

Mycroft Holmes
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM
A good example is the "Shield of Sanguinass(sp?)" power in the Blood Angels book. The power specifically states that it's used at the start of your opponent's shooting phase.

This means you can cast power X in your turn and then Shield in their turn. If you had to cast Shield in your turn it would suddenly become a question of X or Shield. As it stands you get X and Shield in a game turn.