PDA

View Full Version : Melta + Multimelta Tactical Squads

alasgun
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Does anybody use melts + multimelta squads? I've been thinking about running a squad like that and was wondering how effective the combo is from people who use it or if anyone uses it at all.

Timbo
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Seems good to me. Throw a combi-melta on the sergeant as well. 2 fire points on the Rhino works pretty well. Drive up and shoot the melta+combi-melta, then park and shoot the melta+multi-melta.

Puccio
09-01-2009, 06:52 PM
It works in the sense that you're spreading more and more melta on the field. It works even better when you have some Vulkan good(cheese)ness to go with it.

Where it fails is in games against assaulty units and kill point missions. 9 times out of ten you're wanting to split your squad for added mobility. But in the end it can hurt.

Doombringer
09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I too am thinking of having a Combi-melta, Melta Bomb, Melta gun & Multi-melta Tactical squad. It sounds a good idea in theory but is it too much of a big target having that much Melta in one squad?

doskar
09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
I prefer Flamer/Multimelta in a Rhino. More versatility.

Chumbalaya
09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I prefer Flamer/Multimelta in a Rhino. More versatility.

This right here, just add a combi-melta just in case and you're all set.

Limunpai
09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Multi-melta as a free heavy weapon is just ridiculously good. I say run as many multi-meltas in tacticals as you have the models for, though the only place I know to get them are Dev Squad Boxes and online bitz stores.

Arkaedin
09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
One of my most effective squads is a melta/multimelta squad (sarge has a Powerfist). Pop 'em in a Rhino and zoom them around the field popping tanks. Usually the MM is a last-resort "thank god I brought this" weapon, but it's free so there's no reason not to. Especially on a squad whose sole purpose is tank hunting!

Exitus Acta Probat
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Doskar and Chumba have the right of it....

Multi Melta
Flamer
Combi-Melta sg
Melta bombs

It's a concentration of Melta that can be broken up for flex in non-KP missions, it can handle any targets out of the firing points, and it allows a wider range of valid targets on the field.

Two of those, and you can start flexing outward into supporting different elements

Datadep5
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree with Timbo; it's a pretty sound tactic. I think I'll try this sometime.

Chadmack
09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Power fist works well for this. Rhino or drop pod is essential. need to get them close, Plasma pistol is probably better than a combi melta. Combi melta's rarely make thier points back due to the one shot. Plasma will penetrate most rear and side armour. Either fist melta multimelta or plasma pistol, plasma gun, multi melta with transport will take care of most armour related issues.

Katie Drake
09-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I've never found the multi-melta to be worthwhile on any model that can't both move and fire it in the same turn. Yes, the multi-melta has the potential to be far, far more deadly to almost any vehicle in the game than say a missile launcher or lascannon, but its lack of effective range and heavy weapon status just ruins it as far as being an effective choice is concerned, in my opinion. The humble missile launcher is, at least in my eyes a far more effective choice for the points. It's extremely versatile in that you can use it to hang back early game and take potshots at targets of opportunity, or move up and then fire at armored targets like you would a multi-melta. Then there's the ability to fire a frag missile which adds an entire new dimension of flexibility to the weapon.

I guess I've always been a fan of having my units equipped in a well-rounded fashion as opposed to specializing to such an extreme extent. Personally I run my Tactical Squads (mind you this is in a Blood Angels army) with a power fist, meltagun, missile launcher and Blood Angels Rhino for maximum versatility. There's very little that the unit can't handle - heavily armored infantry can be hurt by the meltagun and missile launcher, where lightly armored hordes can be punished with bolters and the occasional frag missile. Vehicles are easy to deal with when you have a meltagun, as are Monstrous Creatures. The power fist ensures that the unit's not completely helpless in close combat, where the Rhino provides the squad with some serious mobility.

To each their own, I suppose. :)

dmlachap
09-05-2009, 07:08 PM
That's a good idea... but it makes the tactical squad far too anti-armor specialized. I always like to give a tac squad a missile launcher over a multi-melta because it allows for more tactical flexibility. By keeping my tac squads well-rounded, they are a potential threat to every enemy unit (inf or armor). If one squad is destroyed, then another is still able to take its place.

Timbo
09-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Does anyone else hate powerfist+plasma pistol? Every time a marine shoots a plasma pistol he has a 1/18 chance of killing himself. That's not too good. Once every three games or so, that will really set you back.

therealjohnny5
09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Does anyone else hate powerfist+plasma pistol? Every time a marine shoots a plasma pistol he has a 1/18 chance of killing himself. That's not too good. Once every three games or so, that will really set you back.

\Yeah i've always been skeptical about PP's. although i've had great success with PC's in my Dev squads. and once my Assault Marine Sgt spanked a tau HQ with a plasma Pistol...so i guess i shouldn't complain.

As for load out, it depends on my army list if i send out MM Tac squads. i like to DP in a tac squad in combat squads, or CS them in a Razorback. MM hangs back and PF\MB\MG unit rushes. I tend to use that same break up with the RB when i don't load a Dev squad out. i then put the MM\LC\PC in my tac squads and equip a bunch of RB's with heavy flamers and LC's.

I wish i could take 2 assault weapons, MG and FLmr....