PDA

View Full Version : Shading/Blending is there a difference?

Wombatofcombat
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Maybe its just me, but i have not really noticed a difference between shading and blending, but idk maybe im ot experienced enough but if any of you have any explanation on the differences feel free to enlighten me

Brass Scorpion
04-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Blending is one way of doing shading. It is cleaner and smoother than using a wash, but it also takes longer. Blending is also a way of doing highlighting, it is cleaner and smoother than drybrushing, but again it takes more time. Blending is just what it says, it's blending the colors together working with the paint wet. It can be used for many things, transition effects, shading, highlighting, light source effects, and more.

Shading is just what it says, it's adding shades or artificial shadowing to a model. Blending is just one way of achieving that effect.

To simplify, shading is a painting effect, blending is a method of painting.

SotonShades
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Brass Scorpion is correct and I'd like to add that Blending can be used for colour transitions, as well as creating false highlights and lighting effects. I'm sure a few other BoLS posters could come up with a few other uses as well.

RealGenius
04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Blending is just what it says, it's blending the colors together working with the paint wet.

You can also do dry blending, by building up several very thin layers. It works well for/over metallics where you don't want to get the metal flakes in with the color.

SotonShades
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
You can also do dry blending, by building up several very thin layers. It works well for/over metallics where you don't want to get the metal flakes in with the color.

Actually that is layering. However both techniques can be used to get very similar results, though blending (when done well) shoudl give a smoother effect.