PDA

View Full Version : Thunderwolves in September

eldargal
04-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Spoke with Forgeworld and they indicated they were denied rights to make thunderwolf cav because GW is doing them in plastic.

The guy I was speaking to said they are already done and slated to be pushed out in September to go along with the big UK GamesDay.

... enjoy you wolf bastages

Makes sense, don't go counting on it till you see the Incoming! from GW though.

Necron_Lord
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't now if it's true or not, but I heard that GW had a sculpt for TWC with an aesthetic similar to Canis Wolfborn, but since the community hated it so much, they weren't released because of that fact, and were getting worked on to try to come up with something better.

Whether this was bunk started by people who hated the Canis mini or not, I don't know, but a friend of mine did a unit using the Mordheim Thing in the Woods mini and they look really cool. They look a lot better than the SW on a Juggernaut of Khorne variety.

DrLove42
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Oh Goody! Now everyone can have a Space Wolf noob-Thunderwolf-army-list-like-they-saw-on-the-internet and make them play Space Wolves more often, instead of just those people with the patience and determination to make their own

Yay

I guess its a good thing for GW to be releasing them finally, but can't say it excites me. Theres better models out there that still need releasing!

Lerra
04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I spoke with Forgeworld at Adepticon and asked about Thunderwolves. They also told me that they were planning on making Thunderwolf Cav, but then GW proper decided to release them in plastic instead, and that I should expect the plastic models "within a year".

Ghost of War
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow Eldargal, your quick!

The gent at the FW stand said they would be using UK Gamesday as the big launchpad for alot of great stuff. Twolves being one of them.

Yhcrana
04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Seems a bit late Gw, every body who really wanted them (like me) has found alternative ways to convert/purchase them. The money they could have made by releasing them with the codex has long gone.

Added to the fact that the internet says TWC armies don't perform well enough to compete at high levels, compared to other lists SW can make. Which I am inclined to agree with after using my TWC/TW lords

Though, having 19 in an army could be fun to ram down someones throat.

Kawauso
04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
This would have been really nice to hear about last year.
I'm sure the kit will be really cool, but I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to get any...
I've already converted 6 TWC and my Space Wolf army is so large it's hard to justify any additional purchases for it.

Mobynick
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Seems a bit late Gw, every body who really wanted them (like me) has found alternative ways to convert/purchase them. The money they could have made by releasing them with the codex has long gone.

I agree ! It was really poor marketing on GW part not to launch with TWC models. They were new and generated a lot of interest but that is long gone. Instead of your long drawn out marketing ploys of yor perhaps it would be wise to launch everything at once while the hype is at its highest. 6 months later is lame and 12 is downright stupid.

wittdooley
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree ! It was really poor marketing on GW part not to launch with TWC models. They were new and generated a lot of interest but that is long gone. Instead of your long drawn out marketing ploys of yor perhaps it would be wise to launch everything at once while the hype is at its highest. 6 months later is lame and 12 is downright stupid.

So you're not going to buy any of them? Right.

Kawauso
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Personally, I'd have to have a lot of disposable income available for me to want to pick up GW Thunderwolves when I've already converted 6 of my own.

I have 7 other armies, all of which need models more than my Great Company. And I still want to start a Dark Eldar force when I can. :)

Gir
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Yeah, because Stormravens have done so poorly too.

Kawauso
04-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Vehicles require a lot more work to scratch-build or convert than, say, putting a Marine on top of a decently-sized wolf.

Plus everyone knew a Stormraven kit was coming.

Edit: I'm not saying, however, that the models won't sell well. People always buy plastic crack if it looks sweet, and Citadel miniatures have a habit of doing exactly that. Just saying that I can see plenty of SW players as having already had their fix of TWC, like I have.

Gir
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Vehicles require a lot more work to scratch-build or convert than, say, putting a Marine on top of a decently-sized wolf.

Plus everyone knew a Stormraven kit was coming.

Edit: I'm not saying, however, that the models won't sell well. People always buy plastic crack if it looks sweet, and Citadel miniatures have a habit of doing exactly that. Just saying that I can see plenty of SW players as having already had their fix of TWC, like I have.

There where heaps of people converting Storm Ravens out of Valkyries and Land Raiders.

People did know the Stormraven was coming, but didn't know when. Kind of like thunderwolves.

Brass Scorpion
04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
! It was really poor marketing on GW part not to launch with TWC models. Every kit that's not immediately released with its Codex sparks that comment. By this time it should be clear that it is fallacious statement. GW sold kits to converters, then they will sell kits to people waiting for the official kit as well as some people who converted while waiting for official kits. Then there are all the people who buy the army down the road after the official kits are released who will want them. They can't release everything at once, then kits start taking sales away from each other as people only have so much to spend in a month on this hobby. Cash flow and new releases are carefully planned. Sure, it may have been a missed opportunity at the time because of the huge demand for that particular kit, but it's not like it won't be hugely popular when it does hit shelves. There is no "perfect" solution and GW like all companies makes mistakes at times, but clearly releases are carefully planned with number crunching behind them. But that won't stop some people from making that statement every time a kit they wanted is not released when they first wanted it. :rolleyes:

Mr.Pickelz
04-05-2011, 11:39 PM
i may get one box of em, I'm thinking their going to be like the Juggernauts, 3 to a box for 50'ish bucks.

I'm deffinitly gettin one for a wolf lord, maybe more down the road. But since GK's are now out, their my main priority.

Mobynick
04-06-2011, 05:06 AM
So you're not going to buy any of them? Right.

Nope I bought the Mythicast ones...awesome models!

Mobynick
04-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Yeah, because Stormravens have done so poorly too.

I wouldn't know I haven't seen the sales figures but they were released with (or shortly after?) the BA codex. The next 40k codex also uses the flying brick so it is hardly a fair comparsion.

I don't doubt GW number crunched with the TWC but I think they stuffed up big time. Sure some people will buy the new TWC but most SW gamers have already made or paid for alternative models and with GW increasing price tags they would have to be bloody beautiful to make anyone shell out on offical TWC when they have fill the void GW left.

Unzuul the Lascivious
04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
I for one have waited patiently for these, having tried my hand at Dark Eldar, built on my Daemons and now starting GK (after selling Dark Eldar - painting too fiddly and I got bandwagon-itis re the GK!). So I will enjoy revisiting my Wolves with a fresh purchase, so I'm looking forward to it. I have never used Thunderwolves at all, so it should be coooool beans.

P.S. I never play tourneys so I don't care if they aren't good enough for high end gaming etc etc

Malachi
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
... and then there are those like myself that started Space Wolves late, and would gladly by the GW kits since they'll be cheaper than the 3rd party ones with the shipping. I just hope they throw in more Storm Shields in the sprues. If they look cool they will sell - bottom line.

Uncle Nutsy
04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Oh Goody! Now everyone can have a Space Wolf noob-Thunderwolf-army-list-like-they-saw-on-the-internet and make them play Space Wolves more often, instead of just those people with the patience and determination to make their own

Yay

doesn't bother me really. All I really have to do to make them go away is dump about a thousand poisoned shots on them.

go ahead, roll your saves.

Demonus
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
i have 10 already but will buy one for a lord

Grimfoe
04-11-2011, 04:44 AM
I already bought 5 Thunderwolves from another source but haven't dedicated the time to paint them as I'm not sure they would be tournament legal. I think there may be many more like me out there. I'm not so much worried about the money as the time. Once I've invested the time to paint, I don't want to do it again and I don't want to paint something I'm not going to use.

I'll definately buy a GW set (if it really comes out)

I'll probably buy several. So will most SW players.