PDA

View Full Version : Furioso Blood Talons in Multiple Combats

darkninja962
04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
We ran into this the other day at my local gaming shop. I had a Furioso Dread with Blood Talons in combat with 2 enemy units. The dread was able to kill all models in the first squad. Would he then be allowed to make the extra attacks the Blood Talons generate onto the second squad?

The main rulebook says that when splitting attacks, you must decide where they go before rolling. Could it mean that in this case, I would have had to put X attacks on squad 1 and Y attacks on squad 2 and then move on from there with the extra ones?

04-03-2011, 03:28 PM
my interpretation would be that extra attacks get allocated after generating them. So, with 4 initial attacks, they all go on Squad 1, proccing 4 more extra attacks which are then directed towards Squad 2. If further attacks are generated, you are similarly free to direct them where you choose.

I have nothing to support this other than the fact that by RAW, you are directing them before rolling for where they're going. You very well can't direct attacks you don't have.

AngelsofDeath
04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Great question. I have had this happen to me before and since it was one big combat we just allowed the attacks to keep going. But after reading the rule book I can see that a problem could occur where one person may question the new rolls moving over to the other unit involved. I guess you could always charge in and have 4 attacks and start off by placing 2 on each unit involved.

wkz
04-03-2011, 07:43 PM
my interpretation would be that extra attacks get allocated after generating them. So, with 4 initial attacks, they all go on Squad 1, proccing 4 more extra attacks which are then directed towards Squad 2. If further attacks are generated, you are similarly free to direct them where you choose.

I have nothing to support this other than the fact that by RAW, you are directing them before rolling for where they're going. You very well can't direct attacks you don't have.
I would say this is correct, but for different reasons

Reasoning: the usual steps for CC are:

1 Determine all models' legal targets
2 Allocate attacks to targets, determine number of (similar) attacks in this initiative against unit(s)
3 Attack dice rolls (To hit, to wound)
4 Resolve Wounds (Assign receiving models, armor saves)
5 Remove models, if any
6 Move to the next initiative.

However, the Blood Talons generate more attacks AFTER "Resolve wounds". So, if we're attacking only one unit...
* would those new attacks be unable to determine where they can go?
* Would those extra attacks cannot be allocated? (In a combat between only 2 units the allocation is more or less automatic... but you STILL allocate)
* Would they simply be wasted because we're following the usual steps of CC, and the allocation sequence is long gone?
* Note that the 4th step begins with (from memory) "After all the wounds are resolved..."... would the new wounds, being after this step, be automatically lost?

Because of the above, I would say the new attacks generated, whether against one squad or many, will "restart" the CC sequence as if they were there at the start of the initiative order (the new attacks become initiative "not quite 4"). Thus, if a model with the Blood Talons has a legal 2nd target, because it can do steps 1 to 3 all over again I would say it can attack a 2nd unit.

Wolfshade
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
That would be my interpretation as well, that the newly generated attacks can be allocated to any legal target at I: 3.9 ;)

wkz
04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
That would be my interpretation as well, that the newly generated attacks can be allocated to any legal target at I: 3.9 ;)
And 3.8... and 3.7... and 3.6... and 3.5... and 3.4... and ...
Opponent: HEY! Can you stop generating new attacks ALREADY!!

Whoop!
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I've said that. Poor Bloodclaws never had a chance.