PDA

View Full Version : Some Adepticon Questions

BigFreakySean
04-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Howdy!

As someone who is considering organizing a local tournament, I am curious as to how Adepticon sets up their physical tables. Does anyone know the answers to the following:

1) Are they making their own game tables? Or are they just using two standard convention tables put together and covered with a table cloth?

2) How much space is between each row of tables?

Thanks!

-Sean

chromedog
04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I can't speak for how Adepticon does it, but I can tell you how my club does it.

When we hire the venue, we get a number of folding trestle tables for use for the weekend.
We put our gaming boards ONTO these tables.

Most of the trestle tables are on the order of 1800x750, two side by side makes a table too wide and also means we need two tables per game. The board on tables method means one table per game, and the boards ARE the right size.

We tend to have around 3' between tables, but I've seen 2', and that gets a little cozy (too cozy after a while).

wittdooley
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Howdy!

As someone who is considering organizing a local tournament, I am curious as to how Adepticon sets up their physical tables. Does anyone know the answers to the following:

1) Are they making their own game tables? Or are they just using two standard convention tables put together and covered with a table cloth?

2) How much space is between each row of tables?

Thanks!

-Sean

They don't have specially made tables, but they have specially made tabletops for Killzone. They do a really great job of having an appropriate amount of good terrain on the board.

I didn't measure, but I'd guess there as 4 feet in between each table row.

Lerra
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Adepticon puts a long series of tables together to make a row that is 4 feet across and maybe 40 feet long. These tables are covered in felt, and there is a line of blue painter's tape every 6 feet to mark off 4'x6' gaming areas. There are about 4-5 feet between rows. It's a bit crowded so I'd recommend giving your players more space, but it's doable if you need to put a lot of people into a limited space.

BigFreakySean
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM
I can't speak for how Adepticon does it, but I can tell you how my club does it.

When we hire the venue, we get a number of folding trestle tables for use for the weekend.
We put our gaming boards ONTO these tables.

This is an interesting way to do it. What are your gaming boards made from? Plywood? Hardboard? Pink/Blue Foam?

BigFreakySean
04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Adepticon puts a long series of tables together to make a row that is 4 feet across and maybe 40 feet long. These tables are covered in felt, and there is a line of blue painter's tape every 6 feet to mark off 4'x6' gaming areas. There are about 4-5 feet between rows. It's a bit crowded so I'd recommend giving your players more space, but it's doable if you need to put a lot of people into a limited space.

I never thought of using felt. That is a very good idea. Thanks for the answers!

JMichael
04-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Here's a shot of the 40k tables at Adepticon 2011
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xz4QJydIqgE/TZVCFM86QMI/AAAAAAAAZ0g/_HeocGsoG-E/s320/IMG_0495.JPG

And the site I got it from (which shows the fantasy and FoW tables as well) and also much larger photos.
http://www.thehogsofwar.com/2011/03/day-before-storm-adepticon-2011.html

I realize that we use a lot more little pieces of terrain at our club.

chromedog
04-09-2011, 03:08 AM
This is an interesting way to do it. What are your gaming boards made from? Plywood? Hardboard? Pink/Blue Foam?

MDF boards for the most part. 1/2" to 15mm (some are 1/5", some are 15mm). One of our members works in a timberyard and gets us discounts. Depends on age, really. Some of the boards are over 10 years old - other clubs I know have boards that are getting close to double that.
Mostly 6x4s, but we also have a few (club relic) 4x3s and the 'leftover' pieces from cutting down full sheets to 6x4 (full sheet is 8x4, so it leaves a 4x2 offcut. 3 of these makes another table.).

Mostly our boards are just painted (Mottled dark/light grey for urban/ash wastes, green for grasslands [also fantasy], Ochre (martian tables), pale bluish-greyish-white for ice-worlds, "desert yellow" for the desert tables). Our club terrain is also sorted into themes (so we have so many desert tables, so many woodland tables, so many urban tables, and ice world and so on.).

One of our club table tops is flocked. Local GW store gave us a damaged (packaging) old paper-backed grassmat. One of the boys got impatient putting it together (did it in 3 hours, and it just wrinkled up and creased everywhere. I told him to take it slow, and he didn't listen.).

One last thing.
These boards will often skid or move a tad on the hire tables during play. We solved this problem by using that rubberised non-slip matting stuff that's around $1 a metre (30-40cm wide). A single 3' piece holds a table board in place.