PDA

View Full Version : Primer Issues

Atrocity
04-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Okay so I bit the bullet and finally tried some Krylon White Primer. At first I was holding it too far and got the sort of chalky, powdery effect and figured out I was holding the can too far. So I waited for the evening so it would cool down and held the can the correct distance.

Everything's going great, I'm loving Krylon more than the GW stuff. Until later last night and again this morning. The paint goes super-thin, horrible coverage, and seems really watered down.

I've had bad cans before, and you can usually tell from the start, but never one mid-can.

I'm really at a loss here. I clean the nozzle after each use by flipping it and all that. And I just bought the can last week.

Am I shaking the can too much and messing up the ratios in the suspension? That's really the only thing I could think of.

The first picture is of what the spray looked like before it went bad, when I was fine-tuning my distance. The Second pic is what it looked like last night/now. The third is more of the same.

Edit: Also last night the conditions were 30% humidity and in the 70's (once it cooled down and I tried again). Now it's 52% humidity and 66 degrees.

fade_74
04-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Sometimes spray paint gets weird lol. My advice is to store the can inside your house. Inside it is usually a relatively stable temperature and that helps with the consistency of the paint. If you store it outside the temp of the paint is actually the temp it is outside. Hopefully your house is around 70 degrees or so and that's where you want your paint to be. Don't store your paint on the floor. That will lower the temperature. Put it up on a shelf or something. Shake your paint about the same amount of time each time you use it. 30 seconds or so usually does it for me. Don't forget to shake your can upside down too.

It also seems to me that white primer is much more sensitive to temperature variations. I just went out and tested it. It's about 55 degrees here. The white I kept outside (for painting my mailbox) is thin and watery.
The one I keep inside for primer sprays nice and even.

Deadlift
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
You could always try the "The Army Painter' sprays. I used them for the 1st time today and have been really happy with the results. I have used their white and demonic yellow both of which went on evenly and gave a lovely smooth finish.

http://usshop.thearmypainter.com/index.php

The yellow especially pleased with as I am doing a elder ghost army atm and this should speed up the "yellow" process dramatically.

rogue.trader.voril
04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I never fell into the GW Primer bit. I started out with Krylon. A friend of mine was showing off some of his recently primered minis in the middle of winter. It snows here and I'm not use to primering in snow. I asked him what he was useing, and he told me... along with a few tricks to primering in winter :) The secret was he was getting the cheapest stuff he could find at a local dollar store, which was $1 can of matte black enamel primer. I laughed and he pointed out the minis again, and I stopped laughing. I have used can, after can, after can since. I get better coverage, none of the hastles that I get with Krylon, AND!!! where I can scrape off Krylon with a finger nail, the enamel won't. Yes, it does come in matte white, too. It comes in gloss enamle, but I have been warned to stay clear of gloss. Here is one of mine I did with the matte black. Hope this helps.
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/roguetradervoril/100_3820.jpg