PDA

View Full Version : DE Rushed Release?

Lucidum
04-01-2011, 09:11 PM
So there was that little second wave-ish release of dark eldar a few weeks ago including the Dark Eldar Beastmaster, Clawed Fiend, Razorwing Flock, and Khymerea creatures. Now, I bought several models of this new release, and, while it could just be a fluke, each one had issues. Both clawed fiends my store sold me were missing their bases, while the Khymerea had massive "flash" left over from scultping, indeed, one of them had a rather sizeable block of metal attached to its leg which I could not clip off with plyers, as it was too thick, and I had to resort to clipping small chunks of it off at a time and filing down the rest.

Now is this just a fluke of very bad luck? Or are other people having problems along these lines too?

Necron_Lord
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Well, Necrons have been out almost nine years now, and the quality of the three wraiths I purchased this last year have varied considerably. The spine on one was kind of jacked up. When I got my C'tan about 4 years ago, the strip thing for the Deceiver was too small and there was a huge gap between the torso and lower body for the Nightbringer. In short, I have gotten shoddy minis on long existing lines, so that doesn't mean that only happens due to a rush job. Having said that, maybe quite a few other people have had an experience similar to yours.

mstingray
04-02-2011, 01:46 AM
When I bought a slaan for fantasy I found the hole to put the flying base into was off centre so much it wouldn't stand up at all

eldargal
04-02-2011, 02:54 AM
I've not bought any of the second wave yet, but a couple of my friends have and they had a few issues with the succubus having more flash/tabs than they are used to.

BlindGunn
04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Sounds like GW is so concentraited on plastics, they're loosing their talents with metal molds...

Xenith
04-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Or designing new moulds with resin in mind. Unsure how they would differ.

PalinMoonstride
04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Both of the storm raven kits i purchased had molding issues. the first was an easy fix. The second was a half incomplete sprue.

oxy
04-03-2011, 02:41 AM
FYI, I bought a Succubus, and didn't have any particular problems.

chromedog
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Or designing new moulds with resin in mind. Unsure how they would differ.

Resin can't be spincast (with any ease). It has a tendency to act like a non-newtonian liquid when moved quickly. Also needs to be pressure or vacuum cast for best results.

Metals just need a spincaster and metal at the right temperature.

wittdooley
04-03-2011, 07:49 PM
the Draigo miniature for GKs had a ridiculous amount of flashing.

DrLove42
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Got a Succubus, no problems

The hole for the tail to plug into on my clawed fiend was half block, so tail woudn't fit. Didn't bother me cos i'd decided not to give him a tail anyway....

Beatsmaster was good as well!

Linkdead
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Resin can't be spincast (with any ease). It has a tendency to act like a non-newtonian liquid when moved quickly. Also needs to be pressure or vacuum cast for best results.

Metals just need a spincaster and metal at the right temperature.

Spincasting is exactly how GW is doing their new resin minis.