PDA

View Full Version : simple ork Q.

gruebot
03-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Can an Ork Boy replace his Shoota with Big Shoota then upgraded to a Nob & replace Chopa with Power Claw? (Nob with Big Shoota & PowerClaw)

gcsmith
03-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Nope sorry, Options for boys are for boys only, a Nob is listed in the stats section as unique so not same options, sadly.

Skragger
03-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Big Shootaz is so Dakkadakka that fer most ov da boyz it takes two 'ands to use. Only dem big armoured ladz can take dem one 'anded.

On da uvver 'and, it would be very kool. Iz get the mekz on it! Da Klaw-Shoota...

gruebot
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I figured as much. So does that mean that the Nob can't have stikbombs or upgrade slugga to shoota either? In the options section it says "one Ork per mob" or "the entire Mob" for such things. Rather than "one Boy" and isn't the Nob cnsidered par of the Mob?

Skragger
03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Thats a question I asked my friends many moons past when I picked up Orks. The solution is this:

if its a change thats going to affect the entire skwad, it will affect the nob as well (i.e Stikkbombz, shootas (far better than sluggas and choppas imho). But the idea of one handed/2 handed still applies. A shoota takes two hands, so you cant have a shoota and a klaw at the same time.

I usually follow this kit:

Trukk Boyz:
11 boyz with Choppas/Sluggas + stikkbombz
1 Nob with Klaw
1 Trukk w/ Red Paint Job + Ram (Tankshock enemy units, and the pile into combat)

After the first game, opponents will think twice about letting that live past turn one.

If the points allow it have a Mek with a Kustom Force Feild standing next to the trukk at deployment so that it'll live past the initial cannon fire it always draws.

OR

17 X Boyz with Shootaz
2 x Big Shoota Boyz (interchangable with Rokkits depending)
1X Nob with Big Shoota

The Shootaz are better because in a skwad of 20 ladz, thats 40 Shots/Turn at 18". Even with only 1 in 3 hitting thats still 13 hits. And they can still hold their own if they get into fisticuffs.

I play a foot slogger heavy army, and I use slugga boyz to the XTREME! Trukk boyz almost always die, but they tend to give a turn of tied up combat so your slugga boyz can get into range.

Foreigner
03-31-2011, 10:40 AM
As per the Ork FAQ, A Nob may replace his choppa with a power klaw prior to the unit replacing their Slugga/Choppa with a Shoota.

This also means that because the Nob no longer has both a slugga and choppa, that he retains the Slugga/Klaw because he cannot make the exchange.

This of course is the only time in the game that the rules make logical sense and order of operations is preserved (no armor / upgrades on librarian dreadnaughts etc. being counter examples of stupidity)

Also, because the Nob is now armed with Klaw/Slugga, he cannot then take a big Shoota.

The typical unit I see consists of 26 Shoota boyz, 3 With Big Shoota, and Nob with PK/Slugga (for the full 30).

Skragger
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
The typical unit I see consists of 26 Shoota boyz, 3 With Big Shoota, and Nob with PK/Slugga (for the full 30).

And a very dangerous skwad to boot! I tend to take 20 ladz over 30 as they allow me more flexibility, but to each their own!

gruebot
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Foreigner;128847]As per the Ork FAQ, A Nob may replace his choppa with a power klaw prior to the unit replacing their Slugga/Choppa with a Shoota.

This also means that because the Nob no longer has both a slugga and choppa, that he retains the Slugga/Klaw because he cannot make the exchange.

Also, because the Nob is now armed with Klaw/Slugga, he cannot then take a big Shoota.
QUOTE]
Indeed. And this makes perfect sense accept that just below the replacement of slugga/choppa with shoota option it reads "replace slugga or shoota wth big shoota" & since the nob still has a slugga, can it then be replaced with big shoota? loophole?

Foreigner
03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Indeed. And this makes perfect sense accept that just below the replacement of slugga/choppa with shoota option it reads "replace slugga or shoota wth big shoota" & since the nob still has a slugga, can it then be replaced with big shoota? loophole?

Sure, why not. I dont entirely see the appeal of the big Shoota on the Nob, but more power to you.

steelmage99
03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
As long as you do the upgrades in the correct order, it is perfectly legal.

First upgrade a Boy to carry a Big Shoota at the cost of his slugga (and a few points).
Then upgrade him to a Nob. As a Nob simply carries the same load-out as the parent mob, he keeps his Choppa (and the Big Shoota).
Upgrade his Choppa to a Power Klaw.

All of the above is all behind-the-scenes stuff done during the making of the army-list.
You could actually "cheat" and do the upgrades in the incorrect (and illegal) order, and the end result would be exactly the same. :)