PDA

View Full Version : Email Virus Scam, UPS Parcel Notification

Brass Scorpion
03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
I've been getting these fake UPS scam emails nearly every day for a week. Of course, I never clicked on the attachment since I knew these were not legitimate parcel notifications. I buy enough stuff by mail order to know what the real thing looks like. Anyway, if you see something like this you definitely don't want to click on the attachment. Today I decided to see what information was out there on the Internet about it since I have gotten so many of these emails. No surprise, I'm not the only one getting them as it's a massive global attack by the jerks sending these around.

Here's more info on what to look out for:

------------------------------
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/02/04/outbreak-united-parcel-service-notification-malware-attack-spammed-out/

Outbreak: United Parcel Service notification malware attack spammed out

Cybercriminals are attempting to infect computers around the world, disguising their attack as an email claiming to come from United Parcel Service about a parcel delivery.

But this time they're not using words, they're using an embedded image to trick you into clicking on the link.

Here's what a typical malicious email being used in this malware campaign looks like:

Subject: United Parcel Service notification #<random number>

Attached file: USPS_Document.zip

Message body:
Dear customer.

The parcel was sent to your home address.
And it will arrive within 3 business days.

More information and the tracking number are attached in the document below.

Thank you.
United Parcel Service.

Copyright (c) 1994-2011 United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All rights reserved.