PDA

View Full Version : New Android App to Create 40K Lists

Baranowito
03-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Just released today on the Android market is Army Creator Mobile. This is an app that will generate lists for your games and right now has a data file that includes most of the armies for 40k. You can output the lists to a text file that can be used to print and bring to your games.

Search for "Army Creator Mobile" in the Android marketplace.

TheBitzBarn
03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
One Person has bought it and reviewed is and all they can say is 1 star seems to have to force close like 10 times.

Kinda high priced too I am interested if it works and if it is less than 2.00

Baranowito
03-27-2011, 11:01 AM
The force close issue that the user commented about should be fixed now. This was an Android 2.1 issue and didn't affect later OS versions. I'll also be releasing a Lite version soon that will limit units in a list if you want to try it out first before buying.

Baranowito
03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Bitzbarn (or anyone else interested) - there is a free version now available in the marketplace if you want to try it out. You will be limited to 4 units in any list, but that should give you a feel for the app. I hope you will at least give it a try.

Defenestratus
03-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Let me know if you need it tested on a Xoom.

Baranowito
04-02-2011, 07:40 AM
I just released a new update on the app that fixed many of the force close issues people reported. If this happened to you I'd urge you to try it out again.

Da Gargoyle
04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Why bother ? I have created excel spread sheets for my armies. Sheets 1 to 4 contain the army lists and the equipment available to them. sheet 5 is set up like a force org chart where you choose your preferred options. And sheet 6 produces the list you want to print complete with points cost for each unit and the options they took. Once built all you do is key your unit choice in each org box and it collects the data and posts it to the list and on the org chart so you know what you have while you are building it.

The modular set up allows you to update the lists without impacting the other spread sheets. God if only I had the patience to learn how to use a database.

steelmage99
04-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Why bother? Just buy Army Builer.

A one-time investment and all your army building issues goes away.

Baranowito
04-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Why bother ? I have created excel spread sheets for my armies.

Why bother? Just buy Army Builer.

A one-time investment and all your army building issues goes away.

Let me ask you, is Excel on your phone or tablet? Is AB on your phone or tablet?

There are versions of Excel on Android phones, but they are very clunky and not as useful when doing anything more than viewing spreadsheets. Tablets would make more sense here, but Excel is designed for an actual computer and not a mobile device.

AB is NOT on anything but a Windows based PC. They will eventually come out with a Mac version this year, but they are still a ways off from making an iPad version. In a recent interview, they pretty much said they are not targeting mobile phones. Also, what do you pay for AB, $40 plus an annual subscription fee?

Army Creator Mobile is an Android app that is targeting the mobile phone market and only costs $3.49. There is a planned port to iOS later this year as well. If you want to do your list building on the go this is very good option as most people have their phones with them (or at least near them) at all times.

Both of you have options that are great for you personally and I even have similar setups at home. But there are many out there that would like a better mobile option. I personally do not like to lug a laptop with me down to GW or my local hobby store when I might want to play around with lists or even to a tournament or convention when I have that same feeling.

mikethefish
04-04-2011, 02:41 AM
As a person who has used Army Builder for many years, I can honestly say that it is the single worst waste of money I have ever shelled out for this hobby. Honestly I can't see how the guy can sleep at night charging $40 for that clunky piece of drek. If there is a cheaper smart phone army building list available, then fantastic - I am all about that. I'll be giving this app a look-see, definitely.

SonicPara
04-04-2011, 03:49 AM
I downloaded it and it works great. Well worth the money.

And really guys, you are going to complain about the price? It is $3.50, just skip your Starbucks for a day and have a mobile army creating tool forever

Whoop!
04-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Hey guys, the price sounds right, does the app wok well? I usually just do a paper list, or even use my brain.

I have thought about buying AB but didn't want to spend $40, I mean why not get me another devastator squad instead? But I can hardly buy anything with$4.

Anybody love this app? Anybody tried this App, besides Baranowito who seems to have written it? I got $4!

Defenestratus
04-04-2011, 07:53 AM
As a person who has used Army Builder for many years, I can honestly say that it is the single worst waste of money I have ever shelled out for this hobby. Honestly I can't see how the guy can sleep at night charging $40 for that clunky piece of drek. If there is a cheaper smart phone army building list available, then fantastic - I am all about that. I'll be giving this app a look-see, definitely.

Colen is a good friend of mine. I'll let him know how you feel about his product. Seems that you're in the minority however. Most people can't live without it.

EasyC
04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Any Chance this app is coming to the iPhone?

Baranowito
04-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Whoop! - Yes I did write the app. There is a free version available that you can try out before you buy. Nobody is a better judge of whether you like an app except for yourself. The only limitation is that you can only have 4 units in the list, but all other functionality is there for you to try. I'll also point you to SonicPara's comment right before yours as well as the comments that are on the Android market listing if you want to hear other's opinions. You can also see a review on the funderhammer blog.

EasyC - That is the plan right now. The Android version has to do well enough for me to port it over, but my plan is to do so later this year.

Whoop!
04-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Bought it, not really happy.
Works well, and the interface is OK, but I can't diversify units.

My Long Fangs either need to have all Missile luanchers or all LasCanon, not a mixture. Same goes for my Wolf Guard, All the same options and armor for each unit.

This would work fantastic for my Necrons, but is useless for my wolves.:(

Help me Baranowito! My wolves are howling mornfully, they want to be on my phone.

Baranowito
04-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Bought it, not really happy.
Works well, and the interface is OK, but I can't diversify units.

My Long Fangs either need to have all Missile luanchers or all LasCanon, not a mixture. Same goes for my Wolf Guard, All the same options and armor for each unit.

This would work fantastic for my Necrons, but is useless for my wolves.:(

Help me Baranowito! My wolves are howling mornfully, they want to be on my phone.

I believe you are asking about how to create a mixed unit for Long Fangs and Wolf Guard. Both have the same answer and that is to add a sub unit. Do the following:

-Add the new unit (Long fangs will appear with 1 leader and 1 Long Fang)
-Select the Long Fang unit and choose "Add Sub Unit"
-Select "Long Fangs"

You will now see another Long Fang appear within a unit. You can adjust the weapons as needed. If you need 4 different weapons on them, then you would need 4 separate sub units. Do a similar process for the Wolf Guard and you can kit them out however you need.

General guideline for this - if any number of guys in the unit can change their weaponry, then they will have the option to add a sub unit. If there are only a couple of weapon upgrades, then they are under "Other Options". This is a similar idea as AB if you've used that.

Let me know if this helps.

JMichael
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for creating this! It is something that we have been needing. I for one, appreciate the time you put into it.

Whoop!
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks Baranowits,
I got it working for my wolves! They now are howling in respect.
So far I like it.

Galadren
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Colen is a good friend of mine. I'll let him know how you feel about his product. Seems that you're in the minority however. Most people can't live without it.

No kidding. I've spent the day pondering which friend I would murder to get the Grey Knight update out faster. I mean yes, I can do list building by hand with pen and paper, but it's so slow...

Defenestratus
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
No kidding. I've spent the day pondering which friend I would murder to get the Grey Knight update out faster. I mean yes, I can do list building by hand with pen and paper, but it's so slow...

Haha, you may or may not know this, but its a common misconception ... Wolflair doesn't actually create the datafiles for 40k. Its legalese as to why. The people that author the 40k files are at ab40k.org

But please don't murder them. Please.

Baranowito
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM

I'm planning on having the Grey Knights completed for the app this weekend. The app is so small right now in comparison that I don't really need to self-embargo quite yet. I'll post again when that is done if people are interested.

Whoop! - glad it is working for you right now. Hope you enjoy it!

Baranowito
04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I wanted to update everyone that the Grey Knights are now in the data file. If you have the app, you must update to the latest version in order to use the file.

The Custodian
04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Hmmm, really nice work, however i just wanted to say that the entire army is unable to take transports... Or at least for me...

Baranowito
04-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Thanks for letting me know Custodian. I had extra blanks in the file that didn't affect anything until my final tweaks yesterday. Those are deleted now and the file should work for you. Please re-download that file through the app and you should now see the transports.

Eldred
04-22-2011, 08:45 AM
When are you planning on porting to iOS?

Baranowito
04-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm getting my Mac tomorrow (hooray!) so I can finally develop for iOS. Currently, the app is on hold for porting though because of the legal issues with GW. If data files appear elsewhere for the app (ie others post them) then it makes sense to port the app.

kyler
05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey all,

Just letting you know that I started a blog with the data file for 40k linked to it. You can go to http://armycreatormobiledata.blogspot.com for information on it. It's fairly easy to get the file on your phone and there are a few ways listed there to do it.

kyler
05-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Hey all,

Just letting you know that I started a blog with the data file for 40k linked to it. You can go to armycreatormobiledata.blogspot.com for information on it. It's fairly easy to get the file on your phone and there are a few ways listed there to do it.

kyler
06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I added the Black Templars to the data file for Army Creator Mobile. Go to the link in my last post for more information. I should be able to get the last two armies missing (Dark Angels and Witch Hunters) before the end of the month. At least that's the plan.