PDA

View Full Version : Combat Squad Shenanigans

DWest
03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I think this might work, but I wanted an opinion before actually trying it. Space Marine Combat Squads says you can choose how to split a unit up once it disembarks from a drop pod. Now, I want to stick an Independent Character in the pod with a team, and then split the team on the way out the door.

Specifically, I want to put 10 Sternguard (2 hvy flamers, 2 or 3 combi-meltas) in a pod with Vulkan, and then break up when they come out so Vulkan has the 2 flamers and 3 others with him, and the 3 combis are in the other group. Will this actually work?

steelmage99
03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
As long as you split the Sternguard squad up into two equal-sized groups and then join the IC to one of them, I believe you should be OK.

lobster-overlord
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
The rules generally specify that you have to have a certain number of guys to get certain upgrades (like one spec weapon per five guys) but there is no rule that says that they have to split that way. You can combat squad your guys in any combination, as long as they are numerically the same. (5 and 5.... you cannot combat squad a unit of less than 10 marines).

Tynskel
03-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Yes, this does work!

I would add a master of the forge too-- it is fun to shoot so many master-crafted flamers and combis!

AngelsofDeath
03-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Can Not work if you add any character to the squad. Combat squads : Units with this special rule that include ten squad members have the option of breaking down into two-five man units called combat squads.
And you can split these 10 men into 2 squads when you deploy by drop pod. And a drop pod only carries 10 people. Do the math=no characters allowed.

You could just not combat squad them when they come out of the drop pod, take one less marine and include Vulkan though. Just an idea.

Kawauso
03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Drop pods have a transport capacity of twelve models, even though there are only 10 harnesses in the model itself.

So, to the OP's question, yes you can do that. :)
As long as the squad splits into two 5-man units, it doesn't matter which models go where.

AngelsofDeath
03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I stand corrected. I looked at the Blood Angels Codex and it says 10. But the Space Marine Codex says 12.

I guess what it takes 12 vanilla marines to do the Blood Angels only need 10.

Kawauso
03-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Huh. Weird. I just checked for all the other marines and yeah, their pods only hold 10 models.
Only vanilla marines get the 12-model pods.

Bizarre.

AngelsofDeath
03-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Yea looked at Space Wolves as well and it says 10 or 1 Dread just like the Blood Angels Codex. It would be nice to have 12 with my BA army, combat squad them but still be within range of a Sang Priest for the Feel No Pain.

Like I said what it takes 12 Nilla marines to do Blood Angels and Wolves and do it with 10 ;)

Daemonette666
03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I would be overjoyed if my Chaos Marine army could drop 10 CSMs or a dreadnought via drop pod, even if they made it a Dreadclaw drop pod for 65 points it wuold give my army more tactical flexability.

AngelsofDeath
03-25-2011, 06:33 AM
I would be overjoyed if my Chaos Marine army could drop 10 CSMs or a dreadnought via drop pod, even if they made it a Dreadclaw drop pod for 65 points it wuold give my army more tactical flexability.

Yea, they have to do something with Chaos. I liked playing them in the previous edition codex, loved the Dirge Caster and other nice combos you could come up with. In the next update they will bring them up to speed for sure. A drop pod and or rumors of a flyer of some type for them would really help out the codex till its make-over.

Demonus
03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Mmmmm 8 Berserkers, a Champ, Kharn, and a Chaos Dreadnought streaking across the field in their very own Chaos Raven....

AngelsofDeath
03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Mmmmm 8 Berserkers, a Champ, Kharn, and a Chaos Dreadnought streaking across the field in their very own Chaos Raven....

It would be nice to give them a version of a Stormbird at least. Like the ones they mention in the Horus Heresy novels. And for sure a drop pod.