PDA

View Full Version : White paper: How to use Raiders, Ravagers, and Dark Eldar aircraft.

thecactusman17
03-24-2011, 01:08 AM
This is a post in response to this article (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/03/dark-eldar-raider-vs-sm-rhino-tale-of.html). I would like to preface anything I say with the following: I have NOTHING against BOLD or Black Blow Fly. I don't know any of the people involved. I think that their provision of this site is a great asset to the wargaming community and I hope they continue providing it well into the future.

For those not into the technical and engineering world, a "white paper" is a set of best practices and important bits of advice for using programs, data systems, and highly technical devices . What more could better describe your average Dark Eldar skimmer than a highly specialized tool? Dark Eldar units as a rule are not "point and click" devices. The highest AV in the codex is a mere 13, costed like a *******ed apocalypse unit and incapable of taking even the most rudimentary upgrades.

So let's take a look at your most basic tool, the Raider, and how we might best employ it on the tabletop.

The Raider has a number of advantages right off the bat. It's a fast skimmer, so it's going to move units at extraordinary speed across the battlefield. Many units can take it, so it's not going to be short of useful, deliverable game winning units to pack into it. A Raider can take anything from the burly Grotesques to the ultra-fragile Wyches and deliver it without trouble to your opponent's doorstep. With a 50-50 chance to ignore incoming damage results, to boot.

A Raider is open-topped. This is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because your units can shoot out at 360 degrees, or jump out and assault. A curse because the current metagame favors vehicle damage chart modifiers, and OT is a big one in your opponent's favor. A unit properly kitted out with the right special rules firing at a unit with the right level of damage can kill your transport and everyone inside on a roll of 1 on the chart. Yikes.

Thankfully, the game designers gave us a few tools to improve on the Raider and its occupants. There are three primary methods by which one can improve on the efficacy of a Raider, and four tools to do them with. Additional tools may be very useful in some circumstances and should never be discounted, but these are perhaps the ones that can most dramatically impact your game:

Flickerfields: Flickerfields are not just a save against all those shots coming your way, they are very useful for protecting your unit against the various rigors of battle. In addition to shooting attacks, Flickerfield saves protect vs. close combat, ramming and Death Or Glory attacks. A 5++ is nothing to sneeze at, but you should never COUNT on it. A 5++ means that you have a 1/3 chance of protecting yourself, otherwise you may be in deep doodoo.

Nightshields: Nightshields have the benefit of almost always affecting your opponent. Raiders, Ravagers and Aircraft have a tendency to die easily vs. a couple of low-range assault and rapid-fire weapons, most notably Bolters, Shuriken catapults, Tau Pulse Rifles, meltaguns and plasma rifles. This incredibly useful device protects vs. nearly all of them. Keep in mind: against a standard Marine squad, the optimum range to engage when using this gear is 19 inches. That's close enough to guarantee an assault or open barrage the next turn, but far enough away to negate all shooting attacks.

Shock Prow: Not too handy on its own, this lets your vehicle Ram and Tank Sock your opponent off of objectives. The primary issue? It's on a Raider or Ravager. AV10 or 11 is not the desired armor value in such an event that your opponent decides to dath or Glory, and because so often you will be doing this from a healthy distance away to begin with the very real threat of losing the embarked squad with your transport looms.

Torment Grenade Launchers: People often suggest taking this with a tank-Shocking unit, and sure that's a rational way to use it. But oft forgotten is the fact that it's an active ability even outside of the movement phase, at a 12th the cost of the bearing unit. This piece of gear is the difference between tying and winning close combat, psychic powers affecting your units, it even protects your vehicles from assault by those rare armies that must assault to reliably kill vehicles such as Orks.

thecactusman17
03-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Here is my average Raider deployment and setup.

My standard Raider carries either a 10-model Warriors squad with a Blaster and Sybarite (for the critical Ld. 9), or a Wych squad with a Hekatrix/Agonizer combo and Haywire grenades in addition to whichever special weapons I am feeling work best.The Warriors should stay in their transports as long as possible, all game if they can, while the Wyches jump out and kill the ever-loving hell out of something on turn 2. Preferably, something critical like an elite unit or multiple transports with their grenades. The Raiders themselves are gifted with a Nightshield and Flicker Fields on the Warriors, but only Nightshields on the Wyches. The Wyches generally flat-out on their first turn, so they will have a 4+ save against almost anything to begin with.

Find a piece of cover that will hide your unit near the back of the deployment zone. Insist on the standard 25% terrain for Dark Eldar, they need it badly. Don't be afraid to insist on ruins, buildings, and impassable terrain to protect some or all of your board edge, in the Grim Darkness of the 41st Millenium, there are no "forests".

If no useful terrain features are available, I like to minimize my target profile and force my opponent to get near me to engage easily. Ensure that the clearest shots from his or her deployment zone are in open terrain with no options for evasion. Be ready to capitalize on this factor with a sudden streaking across the board, forcing your opponent to direct attention away from your lines, against units with a powerful save or even preferably no targeting options at all. A unit that can't be engaged is effectively invulnerable in the world of 40k, but no less potent. Controlling who and what your opponent can engage with is the most critical part of playing Dark Eldar.

If I'm playing Aircraft, I like to leave the most effective infantry deployment areas open to my opponent to be in open terrrain. Place objectives and HQ posts in areas where your opponent is forced away from his cover saves if they want to play aggressively. This is critical for "board wipe" armies like Blood Angels Death Company or other infantry that simply MUST engage in CC as early as possible, including other Dark Eldar and mass hordes of Nids and Orks.

For shooting units, I try to keep my transports about 12-18" away from a target and wittle the opponent down as much as possible with darklight weapons and poisoned shots. With close combat, I try to be 6" away, where my units are going to get into the most efficient assault. If I need to be mindful of return fire, I try to position myself about 10" away so that my units can most easily run 1" and then get into CC.

The most critical step in all of this is first turn movement. Your opponent should be left puzzled by a massive whirlwind of advancing and retreating units as they all move into place for their actual attack runs. Get your shooters in relatively close, get your CC units further away to move in on turn two. Let your aircraft or Venoms hang back to pepper the opposing force with a hail of weaponry. For Aircraft, now is a good time to let go with 2-3 of your missiles, but if possible leave a small handful in case your opponent bunches up his units into a defensive wall later. Voidravens can use their bombs for this latter purpose.

Turns two and three should be very decisive and swift. Every unit should be hitting the enemy at the same time, a massive wall of targets that forces your opponent to split fire just to weather the initial storm, diffusing his counterattack while concentrating your own into the most critical areas of his front line. Consider your army like a scalpel, removing the most critical areas so that less delicate methods can be used during the mop-up

nuclearfeet
03-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll admit it, the vehicle upgrades in the codex look really cool and they can be fun in very rare cases. I've tried them all in numerous configurations. Sad fact of the matter is, your raiders are better off having no upgrades at all. They are simply too situational to be putting on a paper thin transport. Put the points elsewhere.

eldargal
03-28-2011, 02:40 AM
I disagree, flicker fields ought to be mandatory. I've had raiders full of warriors and trueborn stay live the whole game under some serious firepower thanks to them. Don't underestimate a shock prow an TGL on a Wych delivery Raider either.

thecactusman17
03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
You are looking at the vehicle units like they are upgrades to the vehicles themselves, nuclearfleet. And in fairness, as vehicle upgrades they aren't too impressive. If all I was concerned about was the vehicles, I would NEVER ake any of those upgrades for the Raider or the Venom.

Instead, I take them as upgrades to the squads inside. -6" range to shooting down my troops (and likely killing half or more of them in each vehicle) is a HUGE benefit. So is the invul save. So is the -1 Ld to help them clear out troops. I find that at the points cost indicated, they are more than satisfactory for the first few turns of the game.

nuclearfeet
03-29-2011, 01:02 AM
I totally see what you're saying, and I agree...they can be useful on occasion. In a 2000 point list, I can save 50-70 points by not taking any vehicle upgrades that may or may not be useful. And I don't even spam raiders.

nightshields: In the first couple turns, your raiders are going to be shot with weapons that have 36-48"+ range. In most cases, being -6" away isn't going to matter except in the case with heavy bolters. Once your raiders get closer, rapid fire and melta weapons shouldn't matter anyway. Once you are that close, your raiders should have already unloaded their payload unless they're already destroyed.

flickerfields: I've only had luck using with these on ravagers and our fliers. Ravagers are mostly going to be targeted by long range, high strength, single shot weapons ie: missile launchers and lascannons. These don't belong on raiders. Once your raider gets close enough to deliver it's payload, it's going to attract a lot of fire. Call me crazy, but it sure is a lot easier to make a single 5+ save than 3-4 5+ saves at once

shock prow: If you have an empty raider, and your opponent is dumb enough to not have destroyed it already...then this might have a use. No I take that back, it would be better off taking pot shots with the dark lance.

torment grenade launchers: I've very rarely had an enemy unit close enough to my raiders for this to be useful. Honestly, once your raider delivers it's payload it should be off putting the dark lance to good use, not hanging your assault units.

my strategy with my raiders:
turbo boost as far as possible--->get within assault/rapid fire range and deliver troops--->raider takes off to harass things with the dark lance, and forget about it

Although 90% of the time, your raider won't survive to get to the third stage of that strategy. But it doesn't really matter anyway, because I didn't waste points with vehicle upgrades

eldargal
03-29-2011, 01:46 AM
I've had great success using shock prows and TGLs to open up big holes fortressed Tau/IG. For example, I've had a raider discorge its Wyches near enemy infantry, survive a round of shooting, then ram the side armour of a LR Punisher and destroying its main weapon. You can also use ramming raiders to crack open Mech IG if you are lucky, if certainly gives you a shot at it before they can start shooting your Wyches. Also, miraculously the flicker fields also defend against the hits you take from ramming.:)

BlindGunn
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
nightshields: In the first couple turns, your raiders are going to be shot with weapons that have 36-48"+ range. In most cases, being -6" away isn't going to matter except in the case with heavy bolters. Once your raiders get closer, rapid fire and melta weapons shouldn't matter anyway. Once you are that close, your raiders should have already unloaded their payload unless they're already destroyed.

Nightshields really depend with whom you're dealing with and what else is in your army (and what you're trying to do with it).

If I'm using Nightshields, it's because I'm putting them on a trasnport and trying to do an end-run or overrun, and may have to bypass an enemy unit (going for an objective or perhaps a heavy support hiding behind his front lines, etc.). The only thing I want the Night Shields for is to reduce the number of attacks caused by Rapid-Fire weapons as I approach my targets. Either he directs more fire to the Raiders than he normally needs to, or ignores them. Regardless, Nightshields usually buys some of my Raiders a turn or two and that's all I want.

You're right, though -they're useless against most heavy weapons. Nightshields are for Rapid-Fire and other short-ranged weapons. To cut down on those heavy weapons shooting at my Raiders, I need more worthwhile targets for them to deal with. Sacrifice a Ravager in the open, maybe (with a Flickerfield, of course) or a Talos too close to his lines for him to ignore. It's like sacrificing a Queen in Chess. If it allows me to do more damage in the end and control the flow of the game, it can be worth it.

If you plan to use them with those thoughts in mind, Nightshields can be useful. If I feel I need the points, I leave them behind for more toys.