PDA

View Full Version : Air Brushing

ScrutMaster
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Where did you buy your airbrush kit from and what brand would you recommend?

wittdooley
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
If you've never used before, I'd go with something a bit less expensive to start. Your real money sink is in the compressor anyways.

check out www.chicagoairbrush.com

ScrutMaster
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
If you've never used before, I'd go with something a bit less expensive to start. Your real money sink is in the compressor anyways.

check out www.chicagoairbrush.com

link doesnt work, brings me to a modeling portfolio for a modeling agency.

Iceman
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
There are all kinds of places online to buy airbrushes. I have been pretty happy with Aztech airbrushes. They are available in both dual action and single action models and at various very reasonable price points. They have their own replaceable nozzles that are fairly easy to clean and that in any case, you can throw out and replace cheaply if they are damaged or simply beyond being able to clean up (I find this to happen with acrylics).

wittdooley is correct, that you also really need to think about a compressor and that is not an insignificant part of the overall cost. Compressed air is simply unacceptable and just makes the whole process more difficult.

Tynskel
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
I like the GW airbrush, but I have a compressor for it that I got for free from my folks (I got the 'whimpy' compressor, they have 2 others with tanks).

You reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need a compressor.
I recommend getting one that has a separate storage tank. This will allow for a consistent airstream, because the compressor fills the tank in a oscillating mode. Without the storage tank, you will experience the 'pulsing period' from the compressor, and that can be frustrating as you paint.

You should also construct a 'spray booth'. You need a vacuum, an air filter, and a large cardboard box. As you should be spraying outside (wear a mask, by the way, and ear plugs for the compressor/shop vac), the wind can be variable. A spray booth will create your own 'wind', and maintain its velocity to a relatively constant rate. This is like MAGIC. Even if you don't use an airbrush, simple priming is easily improved 10x.

house_cawdor
03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I never liked Airbrushing since I live at home with the rents it is just a hassle to clean every time. I have seen some nice stuff only achievable from airbrushing however.

I have a Scorpion II Airbrush Compressor for sale if anyone is interested. It was around 150 when I bought it. I only used it a handful of times. Asking 80.00 plus shipping.

Brass Scorpion
03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Where did you buy your airbrush kit from and what brand would you recommend? Badger air brush, double-action. Huge discounts at http://www.bearair.com/

fade_74
03-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I use a Master g44 ( knockoff of Iwata ) Ran me about 60 bucks from TCPGlobal. It has been a really good brush though. Just do yourself a favor and buy a cleaning kit with it. I would also suggest a .5 nozzle needle combination for beginners. It will spray a nice fine pattern, but it is more forgiving than a smaller nozzle. A compressor is a must. You don't have to have an air tank though. The little imperfections that appear because air pressure differential have never hurt anything I've ever painted. They actually add some character.

wittdooley
03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
My bad scrut:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/

They have a lot of good intro packages. Things you MUST have if you're going to spend your money:

Dual action brush
Moisture trap on compressor

Beyond that, you can play around. As long as you don't abuse it, your airbrush can handle being gunked up. Clean it with a q-tip soaked in windex.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

BTW, I have a badger 150. Nice little beginner brush. Doesn't have gravity feed, which sucks, but it works wonders for basecoating and camo. Have an Iwata SmartJet. Very nice, auto shut off, moister trap. Works well, moderately priced.

Lane
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
They have a lot of good intro packages. Things you MUST have if you're going to spend your money:

Dual action brush
Moisture trap on compressor.

If using a cheap or general purpose compressor I would also get a good pressure regulator.
The cheap regulator on most shop compressors are not very accurate nor stable. You want a regulator that will reliably keep the pressure in the rang recommended for your airbrush. A good quality airbrush compressor should not need a separate regulator.

wittdooley
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
If using a cheap or general purpose compressor I would also get a good pressure regulator.
The cheap regulator on most shop compressors are not very accurate nor stable. You want a regulator that will reliably keep the pressure in the rang recommended for your airbrush. A good quality airbrush compressor should not need a separate regulator.

Seconded. Lane is absolutely right on with this.

ScrutMaster
03-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice, thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I've been wanting to try painting with an airbrush for a while. Especially for larger models. But I saw a good NMM technique for weapons using an airbrush. I think there is a lot of cool things to be done with one that would really open up my painting.

Meph
03-23-2011, 12:44 AM
*cough* Ebay!
I bought my compressor, airbrush, spare paint pots etc off of Ebay (with 'Buy Now', so new stuff) , cheap, fast, handy.

One important side note: buys a compressor with air tank and moisture trap, buying one without is just a bit cheaper with a huge decrease in performance and reliability. you'll be keeping the compressor for decades if treated well, so it's worth the extra gold nuggets for a decent one.

Deadlift
03-23-2011, 01:39 AM
I have a badger, not sure of the model but its a gravity feed one and I like it ALOT.

wittdooley
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
I have a badger, not sure of the model but its a gravity feed one and I like it ALOT.

In case you don't know, scrut, Gravity Feed makes the brush a lot easier to use in terms of swapping multiple colors quickly, allows for you to not waste paint and allows you work in smaller batches. So not a necessity, but worth it.