PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? Marking vehicle damage...

Shadoq
03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
I noticed at the local gaming store before I moved that when I damaged an opponent's vehicle, a lot of the time they didn't mark it at all.

Is that the standard and people just remember or do most of you mark it with things like dice?

I like to mark my damage with red dice with the damage result...

BuFFo
03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I always tell my opponent to mark his vehicles just like I always mark mine.

I use a Die. Whatever the result is, that is the number on the die I have face up next to the vehicle.

If they don't want to mark it, I do it for them.

Lockark
03-17-2011, 11:36 PM
I always tell my opponent to mark his vehicles just like I always mark mine.

I use a Die. Whatever the result is, that is the number on the die I have face up next to the vehicle.

If they don't want to mark it, I do it for them.

Same here, but I put the dice on top of the vheclie.

Lane
03-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I have seen a lot of way to mark damage and some people who forget to mark/ apply damage.

The problem I have seen with using dice is they tend to get knocked off.

My preference would be distinct markers like the GW set or other visible means like smoke or removable weapons. My next army will have interchangeable weapons and may add magnets for damage. Black smoke on weapon or engine for weapon destroyed/ drive damage, white for shaken/ stunned, big red and yellow flames for destroyed.

eagleboy7259
03-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Its always been a problem for me. Even with one marker, its still hard to tell whats going on with each vehicle. Personally shaken / stunned is the worst because they tend to use the same marker and then they always move in the next turn.

chromedog
03-18-2011, 12:25 AM
I have markers/counters for mine.
Shaken/stunned/immob/weapon destroyed/destroyed (and some GF9 smoke and fire markers so I can separate 'wrecked/destroyed' from 'destroyed/blowed up reel good!')

Makes it easier. I don't play in stores - we don't have anywhere to do so up here.
Last time I did, I had dice and templates disappear. I haven't gamed in a store since.

Xanadu
03-18-2011, 04:18 AM
My local club is very lax on doing this, I personally mark stunned and shaken with dice, showing 1 and 2 respectively.

Weapon destroyed is either noted down on a piece of paper or the weapon itself is removed (if possible).

Immobilised if a skimmer is removed from it's base or if non-skimmer has a '4' placed on it, as well as being noted down.

Destroyed is vehicle off base, with turret turned upside down on top - sometimes some wire-wool smoke/ fire. Alternatively the tank is turned upside down on the tabletop. - also noted down (I've had people resurrect tanks before now...)

And well kabüm is simply removed with a crater in place of the shiny tank.

Bean
03-18-2011, 04:44 AM
I generally use a die on top of the tank to mark damage. I don't really require it of my opponent, though. I'm pretty good about remembering what damage they took.

Daemonette666
03-18-2011, 06:34 AM
I bought counters from a company called "Gale Force 9" . They have Science fiction infantry and vehicle counters, Terrain and wound counters.

For vehicles I can use them to mark immobalised, weapon destroyed, wrecked, stunned and shaken. The infantry ones have morale check, fleeng, under 50%, pinned, gone to ground. Other counter are forrest, dangerous terrain, hardcover, soft cover, difficult terrain , and a couple mnor. The wound counters go up to 6 wounds I think.

I found smoke is the only one they do not have, but this can be easily catered for.

My opponent space wolf and I with my chaos marines used them in a 1750 point game today. They really came in handy, when he forgot his predator was stunned, and I had a marker next to it, and reminded him. It saved me getting killed, as Kharn then assaulted it with his squad.

I tend not avoid using dice, as they get picked up and rolled by both players, and then you forget what number was on the dice. I also do not use a cube with numbers from 1 to 6 on it (dice/di) to mark the turns, and use the GF9 turn marker.

SotonShades
03-18-2011, 06:48 AM
I have a bunch of D10s in my dice tin for marking damage, or more often for marking wounds on characters. So often I see people marking damage and wounds with D6s and then accidentally picking up those dice. Easy mistake to make and we can usually remember stuff, but on occasion you forget... yet to see someone pick up a D10 by accident.

Most of my vehicles have removable weapons, so that's fairly obvious and I use D10s as I've said for those that aren't. Wrecks end up upside down and exploded vehicles end up back in the carry case. I am terrible for not marking immobilised or stunned/shaken results. That said, I'm used to running a lot of tanks, playing Armoured Company most of the time, so I've gotten used to remembering which are immobilised (as often as not because they are facing in a completely useless direction!).

Lemt
03-18-2011, 06:52 AM
I always mark damage, because otherwise forgetting something is very easy in the middle of a game. For example, I magnetise my Mawloc's arms to take them off as wounds, etc.

fade_74
03-18-2011, 07:32 AM
I agree with you guys wanting to mark vehicle dmg. I either take off the weapon...use smoke...or something to denote it.

JMichael
03-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I have counters I made for both vehicle damage and psychic powers.

The attached file contains some vehicle damage counters and Night Spinner Monofilament Web counters.

I recommend printing them out double sided.

I created the attached counters, and you are free to copy, print, and otherwise use as you see fit.

Lockark
03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
I have seen a lot of way to mark damage and some people who forget to mark/ apply damage.

The problem I have seen with using dice is they tend to get knocked off.

My preference would be distinct markers like the GW set or other visible means like smoke or removable weapons. My next army will have interchangeable weapons and may add magnets for damage. Black smoke on weapon or engine for weapon destroyed/ drive damage, white for shaken/ stunned, big red and yellow flames for destroyed.

Half the vheclies in this game are METAL BAWKSES all I can say is your games must involes the players moveing ALOT more then the ones I do.
O___o

I also find the problem with useing templets, is remembering witch symbol goes with what.

Oh. I also make all my weapons removable, and on rhinos I don't glue the top in. This lets me rip the top off to turn them into wrecks.

So I only need the dice to mark Stun, Shaken, and Immobilized on my vheclies. I find the dice easier because I see the number and intently know what result the vheclie suffered.