PDA

View Full Version : Hints from the April White Dwarf

Emperorsmercy
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Well, I have just finished the April White Dwarf, and there have been some in interesting hints.

- The big one, the one that will most interest everyone, is this quote from Matt Ward:

"On a more serious note, the inclusion of the Inquisition and other Imperial Agents adds variation and brings in a vary different flavour with some of the more exotic wargear. This, in turn, will hopefully follow through on some other projects I am working on."

This is where it ends. Possibly Sisters of Battle or a full Inquisition codex...?

If it's by Matt Ward fans of the above must be looking forward to their codex of insane units (Probably some kind of woman made of gold with 20 swords and a gun sticking out from her abdomen which fires ten thousand shots. Per turn.)

Other interesting things include:

- Jes Goodwin supervised the look of the models.
- A lot of the idea's in the Sanguinary Guard boxset were used as a test for the reception to the idea's for the Grey Knights.
- There were hints for a second mave consisting mainly of Inqusition troops, although this could just be linked to the above Matt Ward quote.

Grailkeeper
03-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Fingers crossed for arbites (long shot)

plawolf
03-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Fingers crossed for arbites (long shot)

Can't you kinda do that already with the GK codex and henchmen?

Loken
03-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks. Interesting stuff. I wish they would do video "designer notes" like Forgeworld has done.

Lockark
03-17-2011, 11:25 PM
After hearing the new rules for the Deamon weapons in the grey knight book, makes me wounder what CSM can expect.

Lane
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
You can sort of do Arbites using Henchmen or IG but I suspect that building them using options would work out more expensive than a unit designed/ tested in that configuration.

Arbites could be done with IG vets in carapace armor and shotguns with GL as a special weapon.

They could also be done as henchmen with carapace armor and bolters.

Crusaders with storm shield and power weapon are the closest to Arbites with supression shield and shock maul but not quite right.

If GW made an army list with Arbites they could test them as equipped instead of averaging in options that do not apply (such as flak armor and lasguns, or gun servitors and weapon smiths).

I can see Arbites with three types of squads, basic, defensive/ HtH and support.
All squads have carapace armor and IG Vet stats armed with hand weapon and Shotgun.

Shotguns would be 12" S4 AP- assault 2

The basic squad (sgt +4-9) - any model may trade shotgun for bolter, 1 -2 models may trade shotgun for flamer or grenade launcher.

Defensive squads (sgt + 4-9) - Any model could swap Shotgun and or hand weapon for Suppression Shield or Bolt Pistol or Shock Maul.

Support squads (sgt + 4-9) - bolters instead of shotguns. Up to two special/ heavy weapons . Options would be GL, Flamer, melta, hvy bolter, auto cannon, missile launcher, hvy flamer.

Shock Maul - Rending.

Suppression shields - powerfull shock generators combined with close order drills make it more difficult for opponents to strike the Arbites. For each model in the squad with a shield reduce the enemy attacking WS by 1 to a minimum of 1. Enemy WS is not affected for determining the Arbites roll to hit.

mstingray
03-18-2011, 01:04 AM
I don't reckon a full inquisition codex will come out, but the hint could be sisters of battle or even alien hunters, at a stretch.

gcsmith
03-18-2011, 02:42 AM
I would assume that its referencing new models with the 'exotic equipment'
or it refers to non inqusition, such maybe as tau. After all nothing screams exotic like tau :p

plawolf
03-18-2011, 04:45 AM
You can sort of do Arbites using Henchmen or IG but I suspect that building them using options would work out more expensive than a unit designed/ tested in that configuration.

Arbites could be done with IG vets in carapace armor and shotguns with GL as a special weapon.

They could also be done as henchmen with carapace armor and bolters.

Crusaders with storm shield and power weapon are the closest to Arbites with supression shield and shock maul but not quite right.

If GW made an army list with Arbites they could test them as equipped instead of averaging in options that do not apply (such as flak armor and lasguns, or gun servitors and weapon smiths).

I can see Arbites with three types of squads, basic, defensive/ HtH and support.
All squads have carapace armor and IG Vet stats armed with hand weapon and Shotgun.

Shotguns would be 12" S4 AP- assault 2

The basic squad (sgt +4-9) - any model may trade shotgun for bolter, 1 -2 models may trade shotgun for flamer or grenade launcher.

Defensive squads (sgt + 4-9) - Any model could swap Shotgun and or hand weapon for Suppression Shield or Bolt Pistol or Shock Maul.

Support squads (sgt + 4-9) - bolters instead of shotguns. Up to two special/ heavy weapons . Options would be GL, Flamer, melta, hvy bolter, auto cannon, missile launcher, hvy flamer.

Shock Maul - Rending.

Suppression shields - powerfull shock generators combined with close order drills make it more difficult for opponents to strike the Arbites. For each model in the squad with a shield reduce the enemy attacking WS by 1 to a minimum of 1. Enemy WS is not affected for determining the Arbites roll to hit.

Yes, but how many more units will be in this codex beyond this core force? Maybe some Rhinos for transports, Russes as heavy support, speeders as FA and maybe some animal servitors as CC elites option. But thats about it. Not really anywhere close to making it worth a dedicated codex.

You can do a pretty good proxy army using the Grey Knights already. I think that's about as good as you can realistically expect it to get.

Maelstorm
03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
So now we have Codex's for Black, Green, Red, Grey, Silver and Chaos Space Marines? Perhaps More Space Marines, this time with breasts and cleavage, will help diversify the range?

Possibly more Imperial material on the way? [yawn]

Wildeybeast
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
So now we have Codex's for Black, Green, Red, Grey, Silver and Chaos Space Marines? Perhaps More Space Marines, this time with breasts and cleavage, will help diversify the range?

I'm a dedicated Xenos player, but you have to accept that a) the imperium stuff sells more than the other ranges and b) from a fluff point of view they are the main protagonists of the 'verse so it makes sense that they have more armies, so you can't really moan at GW making lots of them. And to be fair, they are clearly addressing their previous chronic negligence of some of their Xenos races.

Kawauso
03-18-2011, 11:39 AM

I can't tell if you're bemoaning the abundance of human armies in the game (which is a valid point, but so is the one Wildeybeast makes), but...

Have you ever played against Sisters?

They're not like Marines.

As for the earlier suggestions people were making about Arbites...I really, really doubt it. Outside of them showing up as a unit in an Inquisition book of some sort, they don't have much place in the game...they're law enforcement, not a military force.
Yeah, they have things like Russes, etc. and -could- fight a -minor- war...but the IG has pretty much all the same toys and that's their job, any way.
I don't think the Adeptus Arbites warrant a full book or need one at all.

Maelstorm
03-18-2011, 11:41 AM
And to be fair, they are clearly addressing their previous chronic negligence of some of their Xenos races.

I will admit, they are addressing "some" of their Xenos races...

Necrons 5th Edition: Teaching the meaning of the word "nerf" to those without souls....

Whoop!
03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Dont worry Maelstrom, our codex is coming. And when it does my War Clowns and your's will get up and do the Thriller dance!

C'mon Necrons Codex!

Lane
03-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, but how many more units will be in this codex beyond this core force? Maybe some Rhinos for transports, Russes as heavy support, speeders as FA and maybe some animal servitors as CC elites option. But thats about it. Not really anywhere close to making it worth a dedicated codex.

Arbites are not meant to be a stand alone army. However they would make a good component of an Inquisition Codex army.

Kawauso
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Arbites are not meant to be a stand alone army. However they would make a good component of an Inquisition Codex army.

My thoughts exactly.

Galadren
03-18-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm thinking Guard vet stats, shotguns. Riot shields give a 6++ and act as defensive grenades (no bonus attacks to assaulting enemies) Also, shock mauls act like Thunder Hammers in that anyone taking an unsaved wound from one is reduced to initiative 1 next round. Don't ignore armor saves, though.

plawolf
03-18-2011, 06:48 PM

If you were an =I= and can requisition pretty much any imperial force you could think of, would you call the Arbites or call down some termies to watch your back?

If you want, you can already do a reasonable job to proxy arbites pretty well with Henchmen from the GK codex.

=I= can be tricked out to make a good arbites seniors, warriors can be arbites with shields and shock muals, guys with carapace and shotguns make line arbites, death cult assassins can proxy CC servitors. You can use space monkey rules for HWTs, Chimeras are better than Rhinos and you can even get some storm ravens and call them arbites gunships.

The only things really missing are land speeders and Russes, but I'm sure that won't be a deal breaker when you can use land raiders or Dreadknights instead.

This new codex is about the closest thing you could hope to get to an actual arbites codex and is miles better than what was possible before. Be happy and get converting if thats your thing.

Lane
03-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Sure you can use the GK codex and use henchmen to create Proxy Arbites.

What I would like to see is a proper army list entry for Arbites. Minis would also be nice, you have any idea how expensive Arbites are on ebay.

Gir
03-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Necrons 5th Edition: Teaching the meaning of the word "nerf" to those without souls....

Maybe you should talk to my friend. He's wiped Blood Angels, Tau, Dark Eldar, Chaos and Tyranids with his necrons pretty regularly. My Blood Angels seem to be the only one that can beat him convincingly.

plawolf
03-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Sure you can use the GK codex and use henchmen to create Proxy Arbites.

What I would like to see is a proper army list entry for Arbites. Minis would also be nice, you have any idea how expensive Arbites are on ebay.

Have you seen how much GW are charging for each SS/PW warrior? If they released a model it will be in a metal blister on account of how rare arbites armies will be so that's a good indicatition of the likely price.

If you are building an arbites army, why don't you just convert them from scouts? You got shotguns and carapace as standard, even some the heads would work without any need for conversion. You can get combat shields off eBay for a bargain if you are lucky, which will do for riot shields. With a file and only a little work, chainswords can be made into decent looking power muals.

The only tricky part would be the heads. If FW sell Elysian heads seperately, you are good to go, if not, you might have to bite the bullet and buy a few squads worth. But if you resell the bits you don't want or need on eBay you should be able to recoup much of the original cost and might even make a little profit if you are lucky.

With a little imagination and effort you can build a very convincing army for a reasonable price and maybe even have some fun with the converting. ;)

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
03-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Ahhh its good to own a whole squad with a Magister of original Arbites. I mean i love these guys, they are so over looked by my opponents until they try to take the objective they are on. Eight shotguns (assailt 2) and two grenade launchers, and what ever i equip the Magister with. Love them.

And don't forget that once upon a time long long ago, many codex's and WD's ago, oh wait we are still using a 3rd ed codex, that Sisters of Battle would never be a stand alone army either. Now look at them. I know mine are.
Now i'm not sure if they will put them in the SoB codex, maybe, maybe not. I would'nt mind to be honest, just please don't waste space with Frateris Militia. Give me Arbites over wasted Meat Shields.

Lane
03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Ahhh its good to own a whole squad with a Magister of original Arbites.

I have the Magister, one grenade launcher, four bolters, six shotguns and six bolt pistol/ shockmaul. A expect t find a place for all of them in my Inquisitor only GK army.

Do you know if the Arbites with metal body but plastic SM arms was ever released? I could swear I saw a picture or drawing somewhere but can not find it.

SandWyrm
03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
As for the earlier suggestions people were making about Arbites...I really, really doubt it. Outside of them showing up as a unit in an Inquisition book of some sort, they don't have much place in the game...they're law enforcement, not a military force.
Yeah, they have things like Russes, etc. and -could- fight a -minor- war...but the IG has pretty much all the same toys and that's their job, any way.
I don't think the Adeptus Arbites warrant a full book or need one at all.

If GW were to release a proper platoon-level game (i.e. something playable, competitive, and fun at 500 points or so a side), then the Arbites would make a lot of sense. So would Hrud, Gangers, and a lot of other small-scale forces that have no place in a company-scale 40K battle of 1500-2000 points.

I mean really, why would you want a large-scale arbites force? They're cops, not army.

Fellend
03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
If GW were to release a proper platoon-level game (i.e. something playable, competitive, and fun at 500 points or so a side), then the Arbites would make a lot of sense. So would Hrud, Gangers, and a lot of other small-scale forces that have no place in a company-scale 40K battle of 1500-2000 points.

I mean really, why would you want a large-scale arbites force? They're cops, not army.

I fully support the platoon level game, allthough to be fair I'd probably end up running around with a single marine...

However much as I understand your point, arbites is not just cops they are more like a small army, dedicated to attacking their own instead of the opponent, if you look at the fluff usually during an invasion it says "everything fell except the arbites headquarters" why? because they are a bad *** miniarmy, using tanks to punish anyone that rebels.... I don't want to draw any real life connections to Libya but.... yeah, you get the point... actually suddenly they weren't so cool anymore