PDA

View Full Version : How are Cryx?

ScrutMaster
03-17-2011, 02:24 PM
I've been wanting to try Warmachine, played a game or two with friends models and I like the overall look of the Cryx, just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this army from those who play em?

theHman
03-17-2011, 06:48 PM
I just started playing warmachine (Cryx) about a month and a half ago and have really been loving it.
As a long time 40k/fantasy player, I can say the Warmachine is a nice breath of fresh air.

If you don't want to paint up a "horde" army then stay away from Cryx b/c they really excell at putting down a large number of bodies on the field. However, with that said, you can also minimize the number of units used by buying jacks. Of course, when I say a 'horde' army, we're talking about 25-40 miniatures at most.

My 50 pts cryx army has something like 30 miniatures.

And that's something else that I really like about Warmachine/Hordes -- the low model count means you can actually get a painted army up and done in a reasonable amount of time. I have about 50% of my army completely painted; something I cannot come close to saying about my fantasy or 40k armies.

If you love playing an army that has lots of sneaky tricks and combos up your sleeve, then you'll probably really like cryx. Another army to look at is Circle of Orboros in the Hordes book. FYI - Hordes and Warmachine are pretty much interchangeable, the only real big difference is the way the caster/warlock and jacks vs beasts work.

But you can play a Hordes faction vs your friends Warmachine faction without any problems.

tonyzahn
03-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Disclaimer: I don't play Cryx, but I've played against them for years...

Cryxian warjacks are the fastest around, they hit plenty hard, a few have ways to get free focus, but they've got relatively weak armor and can't take as much damage as anyone else's warjacks.

Their infantry tends to be either cheap and disposable, or have some sneaky tricks such as high speed & defense, stealth, they even have a unit of ghost pirates that can only be hurt by magic attacks most of the time. They also have a few solos and unit attachments that let them create new troops during the course of the game, usually by killing an enemy.

As for magic, Cryxian warcasters tend to have the best offensive spells. The're quite capable of killing you using just magic, and if they don't, they've usually debuffed your stuff so bad that you wish they had.

For example, the warcaster who comes in the battle box (Deneghra) is all about debuffs. She has a spell that reduces an enemy's statline and cripples its ability to do special attacks, and once she's hit you with it, she can keep it going all game long for only a single focus per turn. Then her feat is an additional -2 to everything in the enemy's statline. If you start stacking these debuffs, you can reduce even the toughest armor to tissue paper for a turn.

ScrutMaster
03-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Wow sounds fun. Yea when I first played Hordes / Warmachine I used the Legion of Everblight starter box. I wanna do Cryx cause I love the whole necromantic look of all the units.

wittdooley
03-18-2011, 05:55 PM
They're nasty. Lots of options. Can be very fast, or really slow and dangerous. Probably the top tier Warmachine army.

Grabula
03-25-2011, 10:25 PM
If you've played legion you sort of got a taste of the way Cryx played. I think if there are two similar factions, Cryx and Legion of Everblight are it.

In general, Cryx is a solid assassination/de-buff army. throw in the fact that most, if not all of your models are undead and you can throw some salt in the wound to those armies that need souls.

Make sure you're in the mind set to sacrifice models. You'll find you'll need to do it frequently to get what you want but it goes with the general feel of the armies background.

If you like playing armies that are extremely manueverable and tricksy but give up what I like to call "stickwithitude" (khador players know what this is), the ability to take a lot of damage.

Keep in mind most armies in this game are a little more deep than that. For example, it's pretty easy to build a cryx army that's tough as nails but in general their strengths lie elsewhere.