PDA

View Full Version : Still lost on SW Ven Dread upgrade costs

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I play SW and use my V-Dread.

As I see it there are two possible costs for the way I play him:

Base - 125
Asslt Can - 30
ExA - 5 (assumed as there isn't a general cost listed in C:SM but is in the SW Armoury as 5pts)
Sml - 3

For 163

-----or-----
Base - 125
Asslt Can - 30
ExA - 15 (as listed for most vehicles in C:SM)
SmL - 3 (or possibly free??? as listed for most vehicles in C:SM)

For 173

Any advice here?

EmperorEternalXIX
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
No real need for advice here. Use what's in your book, till your new book comes out.

You really aren't supposed to mix and match books. I know there is that god-awful Dark Angels FAQ quote that basically says "do whatever you want!" but in this case you'd just be robbing yourself of 10 points. If you really want to cherry pick, that's fine I guess, personally I would never and think it's kind of an insult to the design of the game, but they say that if your opponent agrees to it that you can do anything you want.

Though if you want to use the full SM rules, that same dread is going to cost you nearly 200 points.

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I guess I'll talk w/ my opponents but how'd you get 200pts? the only thing that's not listed w/ specific costs is the ExA and SmL... (I have the WS & BS 5 V-Dread not the SM V-Dread)

EmperorEternalXIX
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I only say such because the venerable dreadnought in the SM codex is 165 points base, +15 for extra armor and +10 for the assault cannon. Comes out to 190.

I'm unfamiliar with the space wolves codex but if it says it can take upgrades from the SM codex and doesn't list its' own costs or something like that, it makes sense to use the costs from the current SM dex.

Zijan
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
you'll want to use the first option, both because it is the correct method and the most beneficial to you. The SW codex is quite clear that you only reference C:SM for purposes of vehicle upgrade details (pg.14). So enjoy that 5 pt. extra armour for the next 1-2 months while you can, as i am nearly certain that we will be bumped to 15 pts in october.

Zijan