PDA

View Full Version : Filling small gaps in models???

rsheridan5
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Is there an easy and good looking way to fill gaps in models without going through the greenstuff headache? I am a new player, and I'm building my first two armies (Space Marines and Orks), and I figure I should start right. I am taking my time with removing all of the flashing, but I'm not sure how to go about filling the thin gaps in two piece arms (the ones with large weapons), and vehicles like the deffcopter.
I want to start painting soon, but I would prefer to get the details right first.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Corsair117
09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I use superglue and white glue(pva glue) to fill small gaps. just use zip-kicker or something on the superglue and file it to shape, the white glue can me manipulated while wet to get it where you want(just have to be careful while its drying)

Ruzgob25
09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
One thing a friend of mine uses is blue tac packed in tightly, scuplted if needed, and then sealed with super glue (zap-a-gap in his case). If done well it works just as well as green stuff, and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ruzgob25

athelu
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Hobby shops sell a light-weight filler, that is normally used for model airplanes/boats. It is about the consistency of spackle, and dries hard. It can be sanded and painted. I find this works great on flat surfaces- such as panels on vehicles and such.

Beef Nuggets
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I always use a little blu-tack hardened with super glue.

Kristov
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
If you can find it, tamiya gray putty has been my gap filling savior for several years. It does not crumble like squadron, and it actually sticks to both platic and metal amazingly well (read never broken off on me). Awesome stuff, but hard to come by these days.

Whitehorn
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
What issues do you have with greenstuff? It's very easy to use once you get to grips with it.

rsheridan5
09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Well the cost of greenstuff is a bit off-putting. Honestly I haven't started to use it yet, and I wanted to get some for when I start doing real conversions.
Right now I am looking for something simple and easy that I can get done quickly so that I can field an army and start getting a handle on the game. I have a thousand ideas, but I want to get started playing as soon as possible. Despite that, I want to make sure that the models I put together will look good from the beginning.
Thanks for everyone's input this is really helpful.

Fantomex
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
My personal conversion/gap-filler of choice is an equal 50:50 mix of equal blue and yellow of green stuff, and the same amount of equal mix superfine white milliput.
Mixed right it comes out a very pale light green, and it's utterly fabulous.
It has 90% of the toughness of greenstuff, but is much finer, and a lot easier to see if you get it smooth..
I've just been modding up some Iron Hands Devastators with it, and the results are awesome.. :D

Guta
09-01-2009, 05:33 PM
in my opinion your best bet is in fact greenstuff, just do a little research about it, and make sure you get a sculpting tool, they are a godsend if you suck with gs.

Whitehorn
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Greenstuff is cheap if you look outside GW as you can buy a nice bulk $20 for 100g versus $10 for 20g - maybe you could split with a friend?

Tetz
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm by no means an expert but I have used green stuff several times to fill gaps and it has worked flawlessly. If it's just a minor seam between two pieces I will just use super glue as the filler, but if there's any sort of gap green stuff works great. As others have said, you can get it pretty cheap outside of GW.

crazyredpraetorian
09-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Bob Smith Industries makes a gap filling glue that some of my old customers swore by.

colkillgore
09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I reccomend trying greenstuff. The more you use it the better you will get with it. You can find it cheaper on line for more putty by looking for kneadite brandname.

An alternative would be testor plastic contour putty.

crazyredpraetorian
09-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I've also had great results with Baron's white or green putty on 1/6 scale models, it is smoother than the Testor's. It's also sandable.

Rusty Chainsword
09-06-2009, 09:07 AM
In lieu of the green stuff, you could try something called Quik Plastik (very similar to green stuff but much cheaper) I get it at the local home depot, and have been using it for several years now...Also if you are not too worried about strength (In other words you just want to fill a gap) try using wood filler (or carpenter's wood filler. Elmers makes the stuff. It dries quickly (advantage) can be scraped or sanded, but can be a little runny (let it get a bit dry before applying it to the gap).

GrimJaw
09-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree Green Stuff is probably best for this sort of work. add water to it by brishing it on this makes it a little easier to use, you can also get sets of metal dentists tools that have a number of great applications for any sculpting you may be doing.

rsheridan5
09-06-2009, 11:03 AM
It seems like the consensus is greestuff... although I think I will get some of the milliput and try that mixture as well, but greenstuff it is!

Aldramelech
09-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Miliput. Ive been using it for 20 years and Ive only ever brought two packs! It lasts forever.